Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Blow Up - Any Truth To The Rumor That E-Cig's can "Blow Up" ?

Catch on fire, anything like that? At any time, for any reason??

I'm a total newbie. And this is a total newbie question. So please bear with me.

Senior Member Verified Member wharr's Avatar

First off welcome to ECF, Yes it is true. There are batteries that are being sold that are not fit for vaping. There are also mods and other things can can cause them to get too hot and explode. I have not experienced this problem due to I purchase from reputable knowledgable vendors. While vaping if you feel your battery or mod getting hot then remove the battery.
    I am sure more experienced members will be along shortly with more accurate answers.

Good luck and again welcome to ECF

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

Yes if not observing proper battery safety. Never charge batts unattended. ALWAYS buy safe chemistry quality batts and charger from a reputable Vendor. Never overcharge batts. Make sure your Mod has vents/ holes.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Sitting down, facing forward, but that's not important right now.
    Blog Entries

Just to chime in a little...Most of the "horror" stories of batteries blowing up can be traced to user error more than any other reason. Improper charger, "well, it looked like it was the same", improper charging environment, like left in a car attached to a charger in the broiling sun during the summer, and there are other examples.

That said, the lithium based batteries used in e-cigs, mods as well as "stick" batteries, are capable of producing very high amount of power for varying amounts of time. Some common sense, some basic knowledge of batteries and using quality batteries and chargers can probably eliminate most of the possibilities of things going wrong.

Just think about how many items contain lithium batteries today, cell phones, laptops, flashlight, medical equipment used in hospitals, airplanes and the list goes on and on. Statistically, something will go wrong with a battery somewhere, somehow, no matter how careful you may be, but the statistics show it its an extremely rare event.
    If it's not a Boerboel, it's just a dog.

Here's the difference:

A few years ago some Colgate electric toothbrushes blew up .......... result ......... Colgate toothbrushes manufactured between xxxx and xxxx were recalled.

This year a couple of ego clones blew up ........... result ........... nothing, except e-cigs get a black eye. The CPSC chooses to ignore any safety related issues with e-cigs because of FDA involvement.

The irony of it all is that the regulations needed to insure that we have safe products have existed for a long-long time, all they need is to be enforced! ........... by the proper agencies!!!!!
    Last edited by tj99959; 11-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Myk, awsum140 and SupplyDaddy like this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

tj, what is CPSC?

Oh, I just know this is a dumb question

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I must say, You bunch of guys have been very quick and informative to the questions of a newbie who might not even be posting here tomorrow. This is very cool and just another reason why I WILL still be posting here tomorrow.
    Last edited by CanIPlayWithMadness; 11-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Nikkita6, Ryedan, awsum140 and 1 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran D. Waterhouse's Avatar

And cellphone and laptops. Lithium chemistry batteries, improperly handled or manufactured, can enter a state known as thermal runaway and vent hot gas and possibly flame.

If you buy good quality batteries, use them within their stated ratings, and charge then on a quality charger, the danger is basically nil.
    twgbonehead and Ryedan like this.
    A Kayfun and Caravela clones, BoxMods w/ 2ohm singles, IGO S, Smok dripper, iTaste VF, Orchid V2 clone & Adirondack Vapor juice :)

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

keep your batteries handled well if you are carrying extras ( in a case) and there should be zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
    tj, what is CPSC?

Oh, I just know this is a dumb question
    Consumer Protection Safety Commission.
    CPSC - Home

Their the ones that recall dog food & baby cribs
    Ryedan and DetraMental like this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast