Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?

Default Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?

Hey guys I'm pretty new to vaping and read up on safely vaping mechs. So I picked up a k101, sony 30a 18650 IMR, and nimbus v5 clone. I twisted my 28g kanthal and did 9wraps. I only made single coil. It's reading .9 ohms and I'm using organic cotton wick with 100% vg juice. But when I vape I am not getting the nice amount of vapor/taste I want. My itaste mvp2 and iclear 30s produce just as much. I only have that one 3.7v battery. So any ideas on why I'm not getting much vapor? Also will adding another coil identical to the one I have on effect the resistance? Should I try not twisting the kanthal? I was under the impression that twisting made it where you could have higher resistence however somehow burn hotter? Thanks.

hm. Well considering the K101 has the protection chip inside I want to say that might be the reason? Never fiddled around with a k100 or k101 so thats all I have man.

Na Kamali'i O Kaua'i

Ultra Member Verified Member dripdaze's Avatar

Adding an identical coil will cut the resistance in half.
    ohm ike likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'd suggest that you start off with "simple" coils and become proficient at making them before moving on to twisted 28g.

Look up some videos on micro coils and give them a shot.
    Bill's Magic Vapor likes this.

Well have owned 2 k101's both the 510 threads are junk now after dropping it many a time. It in fact doesnt have any protection chips in them and i got astounding amounts of vapor from my setups with it. Twisting kanthal will not increase the resistance but infact decrease it. I highly suggest doing a 7-8 wrap micro on a 7/64th drill bit using a single strand of 28g kanthal. Should give you around a 1.3 ohm resistance and vape quality will be great. Report back after youve tried this setup if you want and let us know the results. Or you can do a 10 wrap on a 5/64th drill bit for a 1.4 ohm coil which i use alot and is an amazing vape.
    ohm ike likes this.
    Kamry K101 black, Brass Magneto v2, Hcigar King and an Innokin MVP v2
    2 XL Nimbus clones, Trident clone, SMOK RSST, Kraken clone, EHPRO Kayfun Lite
    Iclear 30, Vivi Nova, Protank v2, Evod, Kanger T3

Senior Member Verified Member el Jexican's Avatar

Air hole size and how you are wicking it all comes to play for vapor production as well. Post pics and we might be able to help you out. I run a twisted 28g (6wraps) at .6ohms and it chucks almost as much as my .4ohm dual 26g.

So adding another coil lowers the overall resistance? And yeah, I should have experimented with easier coils, I agree. This was supposed to be a microcoil but it wouldn't stay tight so I decided to space them out. It read 1.5 as a microcoil. I will try that @silentfox... The air hole is 1/8" going to try and post a pic

image.jpg This is my first build so I'd like any pointers. Also, I'm putting the air hole right by the coil.
    Last edited by ohm ike; 02-11-2014 at 05:31 PM.

I think the problem you might be having is that you have too big of an air hole for .9 ohms. Try reducing the wraps to 6 or 7 and get it down to .5 or .6 ohms and then you should be getting nice vapor. The second thing im thinking may be wrong is that its taking awhile to heat up your coil therefore not getting hot enough to produce.
    Kamry K101 black, Brass Magneto v2, Hcigar King and an Innokin MVP v2
    2 XL Nimbus clones, Trident clone, SMOK RSST, Kraken clone, EHPRO Kayfun Lite
    Iclear 30, Vivi Nova, Protank v2, Evod, Kanger T3

PV Master* Verified Member Bunnykiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

twisting the wire makes it behave like a thicker wire, thus more power required to make it run hot.
    Take the time to understand the simple mechanics of wires, resistances, ohm law, battery voltages, charging, discharging.... learn before you burn.
    Don't Trust ATOMS They Make Up Everything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast