Could someone explain why this kanger atomizer rated 1.8 ohms is vaping at 2.4 ohms? How about flooding one day and dry hits the next?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Could someone explain why this kanger atomizer rated 1.8 ohms is vaping at 2.4 ohms? How about flooding one day and dry hits the next?

Default Could someone explain why this kanger atomizer rated 1.8 ohms is vaping at 2.4 ohms? How about flooding one day and dry hits the next?

I asked this question over at r/electronic_cigarette and only got one reply- that the 1.8 ohm atomizer isn't "the best rated from Kanger" and a suggestion that I order an Aerotank base. While I appreciate the gentleman's reply I was hoping for a bit more information on why I'm experiencing gurgling one day and dry hits the next, whether or not I'm right about the flavor wicks, or just some good advice on how I can be happier with my set up. So here's the post:

Just moved over to a protank II from a DCT. I've tried cheaper clearomizers before but kept going back to cartos. I'm running this protank on a SmokTech SID with 70/30 vg/pg juice.

My cartos are rated 1.5 ohms with an error of 0.2. I've never had a carto from Smok outside of that error. I'm very dismayed that the first atomizer I've tried is so far off of it's rating. This is the 1.8 that came in the box with the protank.

Yesterday I was having flooding issues. Today I've been experiencing dry hits. I disassembled the atomizer, cleaned the wicks, dry burned, and only popped one of the flavor wicks back on. I'm under the impression that the thicker juice will cause more dry hits and taking one of the flavor wicks off will help with that. Why would I have the flooding and gurgling just the day before? I'm convinced by the end of today I'll be putting that second flavor wick back on because of flooding.

So far I'm not entirely convinced that the protank is for me. Any ideas what is going on?

Full Member Verified Member

The kanger factory coils are just that factory coils they are never right on the money 1.8 , 2.2 i usually buy the 2.2 and they come out to 2.3 or 2.4 most of the time. I always take out one of the flavor wicks and turn the plastic piece upside down seems to help on dry hits. I've noticed that it gurgles more if I lay it on it's side rather than stand it up.
    Huckleberried and MorpheusPA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch655 View Post
    The kanger factory coils are just that factory coils they are never right on the money 1.8 , 2.2 i usually buy the 2.2 and they come out to 2.3 or 2.4 most of the time. I always take out one of the flavor wicks and turn the plastic piece upside down seems to help on dry hits. I've noticed that it gurgles more if I lay it on it's side rather than stand it up.
    Of course the atomizers aren't going to be right on the money but an error of 0.6 ohms seems excessive. Poor quality control.

Provarinati in fideliam ☆ Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've never had one that is more than 0.2 off. 0.6 seems excessive. I believe two heads come with the Protank, one is a 1.8 and the other is a 2.2. Could it be possible that it's really a 2.2 one?
    Huckleberried and Cool-breeze like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan W. View Post
    I've never had one that is more than 0.2 off. 0.6 seems excessive. I believe two heads come with the Protank, one is a 1.8 and the other is a 2.2. Could it be possible that it's really a 2.2 one?
    I've got the 2.5 that came in the box in my hand. I've checked the ohm rating on the side of the atomizer a few times while I was dealing with the dry burn issues. I'm certain I'm running the 1.8. I'm gearing up to test a few of the extra 1.8's I bought.

I should mention that I did check on the kanger website to make sure this is an authentic protank and the extras I got are sealed in foil in a pretty kanger box.

The last 2 boxes of Kanger coils I got seem to have quality issues. I always get 1.8's, but I have measured anywhere from 1.6 to 2.3. A couple leaked bad.

Ultra Member Verified Member Huckleberried's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The head should have the ohms lasered on the side of the base. Mine have been all over the place. I learned to rebuild them, no longer an issue.
    Last cigarette July 28, 2013

My 1.8 coil was prone to flooding right out of the box. The 2.2 coil was perfect. I popped the tower off the head and found the coil seated such that wick was pulled down on both sides. I eased the coil up, centered the coil over the air hole, put flavor wicks back in and the head works now to the bottom of glass before it floods. I have since bought two Divides and two Kanger Aero bases to go with them. My original Protank II is still stock. Occasional gurgling is normal. I find myself having less problems as my experience level climbs. I am using 80/20 and 70/30 PG/ VG DIY joose.

As to the higher than normal ohmage, I have only seen it when there is eliquid on the contacts after a flood situation and the coil head is so poorly made as to leak from day one. Cleaning and repairing fixes it for me..4 divide heads and 1 Protank leaked more than I have liked so far.

I only get dry burning when my watts are set too high for the sucking vacumm I'm using. I vape from 6.5 to 8 watts on an Itaste VTR. I can intentially dry burn anywhere in that range. At 12 watts, I can't suck fast enough. It burns every time. LOL

My breakdown of the ten atomizers are:

(1) 1.8 ohm
    (1) 1.9 ohm
    (5) 2.0 ohm
    (2) 2.1 ohm
    (1) 2.7 ohm

I'm going to use this 2.3 and 2.7 to fool around with rebuilding coils. Maybe try some cotton. I have a feeling I'm going to get in deep with this.
    Train2 and Huckleberried like this.

This is how I got started with the rebuilding. Randomly got a faulty one and thought "maybe I should try to be badass and rebuild it"... fast forward a couple of weeks later and I have rebuilt all of mine. So much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast