Need help on # of wraps and gauge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need help on # of wraps and gauge

Default Need help on # of wraps and gauge

Just purchased an Igo-T and would like to try out dripping in lieu of using a tank. How many wraps and what gauge does everyone recommend for a single or double coil build?
    I have been using a kayfun for the last month with 12 wraps of 28ga. on 5/64" bit and that seems to be working fine for now.
    Just looking for some good direction to start dripping and a good coil to start with. BTW I'm using cotton as a wick material. Thanks

I use a SS Quasar by Cosmic innovations with 6 wraps of 24 guage wire. Comes out to 0.190 ohms. I honestly never drip mine unless I test it with a reader. But I think 28 gauge wire with 8-10 wraps would be great for dual coil. I do know on one of the sits it claims "The manufacturer recommends that you do not exceed 7.5 amps with this device."

Full Member Verified Member CplMajor's Avatar

Dual coil - 28g Kanthal at 7-10 wraps should land you between 1.4-1.9 if you have ~1.5mm inner diameter.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hop over to youtube and watch some of Riptrippers vids. He's built in about everything with bunches of coil configs.
    Dear Karma: I've got a list of people you missed.

If you find a single coil you like with 28 gauge, you can wrap 2 the same way with 32 gauge and get pretty close to the same resistance.

I have a dual coil and wrap 6 wraps with 28kanthal, it registers around .6ohms which vapes nicely. not too hot but mucho vapor

Super Member Verified Member

One thing you MUST do is check the resistance of any coil you make before you use it on a mechanical mod. Use an Ohm's law calculator and be sure the battery you are using is up to providing the amps the build will take.
    tnt56 likes this.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I run a 5/64 bit with 28 guage and 5 wraps running dual coil at 0.5 ohms. It vapes great and around 8.5 amp on a 30 amp vtc4.

OK, I don't think I want to sub-ohm vape quite yet as I need to do more research on batteries. Don't have a 30 amp as of yet.
    As far as single coils go I am shooting for 1.8 ohms and have 28ga kanthal.
    I did find an app for the iPhone (iVape) that will come in hand. It's not a broad spectrum app but it does bring things into perspective a bit.

Senior Member Verified Member DigitalVI's Avatar

Nine wraps on a piece of coat hanger wire (2mm) of 28 should get you very close to 1.8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast