Nautilus vs. Kayfun/Russian
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Nautilus vs. Kayfun/Russian

Blog Entries

Default Nautilus vs. Kayfun/Russian

Hi, I own a Russian 91% but have heard a lot of good things about the Aspire Nautilus. I was wondering if anyone though the Nautilus is better than say a Kayfun or Russian. I realize one of the better things is that you don't have to build your own coils but was wondering about taste and clouds. I am not a cloud chaser, I just like good flavor with a nice throat hit. Thanks for the help. Mark

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

There is really no comparison A well built Kayfun is so much better IMO
    K_Tech likes this.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Steamer861;13078506]There is really no comparison A well built Kayfun is so much better IMO[/QU

Thanks, I think when I built my fist coil, it may have too many ohms. It is at 1.44 and it seems like I am getting a burnt taste. I should probably get it around 1.1 ohms correct? Thanks. Mark

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

The Nautilus is a good clearo. When the cost of the replacement heads gets on par with others, it will be a great clearo.

That being said, it's not as flavorful, in my experience, as a well-tuned kayfun.

If you're getting a burnt taste, examine your wicking. If you're using cotton, you may have too much. Check one of the numerous kayfun threads, it's been detailed numerous times, much better than I can explain it.
    baseballmom likes this.
    No man's opinions are better than his information.

Replacement heads for the Nautilus tend to be $3>. That, IMHO is a deal breaker for me compared to the Kayfun, where a 100' spool of kanthal can be had for about 7 bucks. I have tried the Nautilus, and as Steamer said, there is really no comparison.

Now, on to your specific issue. You haven't said what device you are using with that R-91. A coil at 1.4 ohm should work fine with most anything; and the Kayfun platform will perform admirably with anything you throw at it, provided it is wicked properly. Getting the wicking right is the biggest learning curve. Below is a pic of how I do it. Hope that helps...

IMG_0045.jpg
    baseballmom and Kor 214I like this.

Blog Entries

I am using a R-91. I made my first coil, maybe I have had it in too long, 2 days, and I could have used too much cotton. I will take it to the shop today and have them make another coil for me and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

I've heard all kinds of great things about the Nautilus. I'm going to be ordering one myself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by coalyard View Post
    Replacement heads for the Nautilus tend to be $3>. That, IMHO is a deal breaker for me compared to the Kayfun, where a 100' spool of kanthal can be had for about 7 bucks. I have tried the Nautilus, and as Steamer said, there is really no comparison.

Now, on to your specific issue. You haven't said what device you are using with that R-91. A coil at 1.4 ohm should work fine with most anything; and the Kayfun platform will perform admirably with anything you throw at it, provided it is wicked properly. Getting the wicking right is the biggest learning curve. Below is a pic of how I do it. Hope that helps...

IMG_0045.jpg
    This is exactly how I wick my Kayfuns. I'm running at 1.18, and the flavor is peerless. Pretty good vapor production as well. One thing you may try is soaking the wick directly before putting the chimney on. Not to the point it runs, but just enough to soak it. Then assemble and then fill. That's what got rid of the burnt taste for me. Another thing, maybe adjust the chimney to allow for more juice flow. Thicker juices take a bit longer to wick through the juice holes if the chimney is cranked all the way down. Sometimes I'll do a dry hit or two to prime the wick again.

Super Member Verified Member

The Nautilus is one of the best at what it is a fill and go tank. It gives decent taste with good easy to control air flow with enough juice to the average person going pretty much a day. I highly recommend it for people moving from a ego/twist type to a more advanced PV.

Now the Kayfun is a different animal with better taste but needs to be built to perform and not for most beginners. Now I have both and don't hesitate to take a Nautilus when leaving home for a day. Now if I had to choose one over the other it would be a Kayfun but then I would choose a good RDA to both.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the info. I do get the wicks wet before I put down the chimney. I was using 80%VG but have now switched to 65%vg-35%pg so it won't be as thick. How long do the wicks normally last on the kayfun/r-91. I tend to vape a lot so maybe I need to change it more, but this time I think I have too much cotton in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast