Anybody start out with rebuildables?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anybody start out with rebuildables?

Default Anybody start out with rebuildables?

So I had been wanting to quit cigarettes for a while, and was hearing a lot about e-cigarettes in general through media and friends. I knew that I wanted to give myself the best chance at quitting, so going all-in with top of the line equipment was the plan. I did some research online and from what I read it seemed like the best tank was the kayfun and the best mod was the provari. I didn't end up going with the provari because it didn't meet my need for usb charging, but I did get the kayfun. And after a few youtube videos on building it, I was wrapping some mean micro coils, and was extremely happy with the vape quality. I kind of spoiled myself though, the first thing I ever vaped was five pawns gambit in a kayfun. Oh well. Anyway, I can't be the only one who went straight to rebuildables, post your stories!

My first and only setup, yes I need a backup:

ICpKsEW.jpg
    Rat2chat2, Archon, Istand and 1 others like this.

Drive by poster Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid I was one of the many who spent a ton of money finding out what I wanted. So no, I didn't go straight to rebuildables. Glad I didn't though as it gave me time to learn about safety issues regarding batteries, coil building and testing, etc. Looks like you've got an MVP 2 there which helps with some of the safety concerns as it has built in circuitry to help protect against shorts, over discharged battery, etc.

Anyone wanting to go to a mech mod would be well advised to do a lot of research first as the safety nets built into regulated devices aren't there.

I will say this though, once I decided rebuilding was the way to go it only took me one failed attempt at a micro coil and then every coil has been good since then. It's not hard to build a coil, at least for me. I've read a lot of success stories as well from people who do not consider themselves mechanically inclined and they can rebuild without trouble. It wasn't hard to start but I attribute that to watching vids and reading what the more experienced folks had to say.

Welcome to the forum and vape on!
    Last edited by black6host; 05-19-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    DavidX604 and Kor 214I like this.

I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that. - Blondie
    Hint: think beach. Title of the song is "The Tide is High"
    SuperTrunker got this one. Look for a new one soon!

Moved On Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger

I also spent too much, but in my opinion, it led to a healthy collection for backups.

I commend you for starting with higher end equipment. Your attention to detail and research eliminated a lot of common problems and issues. Good job!

I would recommend studying battery safety and investing in a mechanical mod. You could go the route of the provari and get a vv/vw mod, or purely mechanical. The choice is ultimately yours however, proper battery knowledge and sound equipment is tantamount to this endeavor.

You're on the right track. Enjoy your setup!!

Sent from my XT1028

Thanks guys. I was looking at getting a mechanical mod, probably a nemesis and tobh. Would run it with VTC5s at about 15 amps max. Just for fun at the house though, as a dripper+mech wouldn't suit my lifestyle on the road. What I'm really looking for is an upgrade to the MVP but it's been difficult. I originally wanted a hana modz but I couldn't find one. I tried to pre-order the BC modz but paypal won't let me use AMEX. And I have some concerns about both of them, mainly the durability of aluminum and their finishes. So right now I'm waiting for something that's variable up to at least 20 watts, with provari quality, and USB charging. And such a thing does not exist. Maybe the provari 3, we'll see.

Moved On Verified Member

Have you considered the VTR? It is a cheaper alternative, it is just huge and heavy. However if you want a backup and not an upgrade, get another mvp!

Sent from my XT1028
    Zamazam likes this.

I looked at the VTR but it lacks USB charging and you need to hack off the ring to fit a kayfun. Plus it's ugly in my opinion, and only goes to 15 watts. If I wanted an ugly 15w device that I couldn't charge with USB I'd just get a provari
    Megs likes this.

Moved On Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    I looked at the VTR but it lacks USB charging and you need to hack off the ring to fit a kayfun. Plus it's ugly in my opinion, and only goes to 15 watts. If I wanted an ugly 15w device that I couldn't charge with USB I'd just get a provari
    Touche

You could also look into the innokin vv3. 101vape has the battery for 24.99(?) ish. It's tiny and doesn't have a high mah capacity BUT it has pass through, vv and vw. Again only 11w. My wife has one and it hits like an absolute train... Not to mention they're so cheap!

Sent from my XT1028

Yep that's an option for sure. Kind of funny, I only intended on using a $100 tank with a $40 mod until I could find something better and relegate my MVP to backup duty. But I haven't found something better (that's in stock) that fits my needs. I really like the ZNA with the new adjustable top cap, but it's never in stock and I don't have time to follow people on twitter and hit refresh on my browser to order one. And it doesn't have pass through charging... sigh. I might pick up one of the new hana clones coming out after the early adopters do some beta testing for me, and if they're junk I'll just order another MVP and an aerotank and call it a day.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Backups are crucial no matter what you are using. It took me a while to get to the dripping stage but I really love it. Took it up a notch further and started using a reo. Dripping is heaven with 6ml available at all times. Good luck to ya and happy dripping.
    MamaTried likes this.

I wouldn't call this Provari quality but this device meets your needs.

eVic Supreme

http://www.joyetech.com/product/details.php?gno=164

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast