Quick Question about Vicious Ant SS Kraken v1.1 vs Kayfun 3.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Quick Question about Vicious Ant SS Kraken v1.1 vs Kayfun 3.1

Full Member Verified Member Zphinx's Avatar

Default Quick Question about Vicious Ant SS Kraken v1.1 vs Kayfun 3.1

Hello all EC members.

So I went the extra mile, and switched to the Provari Mini which out performs my Segeili by light years.

I own a Kayfun 3.1 which is pretty awesome for taste, and I also have a Nautilus Tank system, which is ok but doesn't knock my socks off.

Now I have seen a Vicious Ant SS Kraken review on YT and I was like "wow" ... "Dual Coil", nice looking etc, my question that I am posting here today is to all those who really own a similar setup as I have in place and or own a Kraken and a Kayfun, and what do you think about each one of them?

1) Would you buy a Kraken having a Kayfun?
    2) Why would you own both?
    3) What is better on each device and where is each of lacking?
    4) is the Kraken just looks or is it the technology in it vs the Kayfun?

Having that said, remember I own a Kayfun and was looking for honest feedback, please keep it clean and lets not start a Flame war

I have owned a Kayfun 3.1 and it is an excellent atty, but I traded it for a Vicious Ant brass Kraken. Some might say that it was a bad trade, but I strongly disagree. I transformed the Kraken into a dual coil auto dripper and bored out the air holes to 3/32s. It blows clouds like nobody's business and the flavor is top notch. The main reason I made the trade was because I needed something to match my brass Origen. They make a SICK pair since the patina matches now. You cannot go wrong with either choice, but I find the Kraken to be more versatile and MUCH easier to set up.

Thanks prek2phd,

quick question on your feedback, how are you setting up your wick on the Kraken? Are you using Cotton?

Are you going into the tank with the entire Wick or just a bit? Are you also using a Provari Mod?

I have both, I personally like the Kayfun better it has much better flavor IMO. I have used cotton eko and silica in the kayfun and always return to cotton. I have built the Kraken in SS mesh, eko, silica and cotton and I have used ss mesh with eko on top to insure no shorts ever. That said I still go back to cotton even on that unit. I do my wick a little different then most for the kraken as I let it into the hole, down into the chamber and let it wrap around the base a little, no tilting required. on top I leave a small cloud, I fluff up and then saturate. I use the clouds to drip onto to mix flavors. Most times I have peach in my kraken and I drip Mango in as it suits me. this lets me mix those 2 and also have then separate. The Kraken is a nice Atomizer it looks awesome sitting on just about anything. vapor production is great with a good build but doesn't IMO appear to be anymore then the kayfun. The airflow on a stock Kraken is very tight to very open I found no need to drill it out further. What I dislike about the kraken is it will leak if left on its side, I don't purposely do that. but sometimes it happens.
    Zphinx likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I prefer the kayfun. I have the kayfun lite plus second batch. I absolutely love it. I did a lot of research on this before I bought. The link below is where you can buy the authentic one. I haven't used the kraken but I ironically was looking at it today in the vape store at lunch. It's much bulkier. I haven't personally used it so I can't attest to how it works in comparison - but I do know that I love my kayfun better than anything else I have ever owned and looks great on my provari.
    They fixed a few things on this model like having the adjustable air control is nice. They also put orings on the screw to fill it so it doesn't leak like previous models. I've had mine about a month and a half and don't even pick up my nautilus tank that I bought 2 weeks before. This thing is a beast!

Vaperev Shop - Kayfun Lite
    Zphinx likes this.

I am running dual vertical coils. Quad twisted 32g and 10 wraps each. My Sigelei 20W reads the build as 0.7 ohms. I am using cotton wicks that run directly into the tank. Leave the negative wire on one coil a bit long so that you can refill the tank through the negative screw terminal. 14.2 watts is pure bliss. Leave the airflow alone. I was thinking about the Steamboy I modified last week. Do not drill the Kraken. It would be sacrilege.
    Last edited by prek2phd; 05-21-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Additional information.

I am running dual vertical coils. Quad twisted 32g and 10 wraps each. My Sigelei 20W reads the build as 0.7 ohms. I am using cotton wicks that run directly into the tank. Leave the negative wire on one coil a bit long so that you can refill the tank through the negative screw terminal. 14.2 watts is pure bliss. Leave the airflow alone. I was thinking of the Steamboy that I modded last week. Do not drill it.

Thanks so far to everybody on their input.

Now I have a Kayfun 3.1 and I see a lot of difference in behavior and feedback from people owning the Lite Plus.

Now to expand on my original question, Kayfun 3.1 vs Kayfun Lite Plus vs Kraken? Now I know that Kraken has some nice features and also a couple of negative things that the Kayfun does have.

I think if I can get my hands on a pre-owned Kraken that is affordable enough to check it out I will give it a swing to see where that compares to my taste and usage preference.
    kinggirl likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I have the 3.1 and the KFL+ Second Batch along with a Fogger and Taifun..........so no Kracken but, I think the 3.1 kinda sucks compared to the KFL+SB. I don't know why but I had a lot of issues and the 3.1 is working with dual parallel (to the posts) coils but a single coil KFL+SB is better.

I like the Taifun better and didn't buy a Kraken based on reading here on the forum.

Tip of the Week: Don't lick the mixer beater with it running

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Zphinx View Post
    Thanks so far to everybody on their input.

Now I have a Kayfun 3.1 and I see a lot of difference in behavior and feedback from people owning the Lite Plus.

Now to expand on my original question, Kayfun 3.1 vs Kayfun Lite Plus vs Kraken? Now I know that Kraken has some nice features and also a couple of negative things that the Kayfun does have.

I think if I can get my hands on a pre-owned Kraken that is affordable enough to check it out I will give it a swing to see where that compares to my taste and usage preference.
    In my opinion, I don't think you are going to notice any difference in taste or vape in one versus another. That comes down to your build whether you build at low ohms or like me I prefer around 1.4. I can taste a difference between using cotton or ekowool - I prefer cotton wicks. I think everything would be subjective specifically to you. Which feels better in your hand? Which one is bulkier to you? Is one heavier than another?

From a perspective of functionality, I say do you research. I started googling "problems with Russian" and "problems with kayfun" which on google directly linked me to pages on ECF where people were voicing concerns. For me, that's how I chose the kayfun lite+v2 over the Russian. If you can't find anyone knocking the kraken like issues with leaking or airflow issues then it would probably come down to what looks better to you. In my research, I couldn't find any complaints on the kayfun v2lite+ so I went with that one and haven't really looked back. It does everything I want it to and perfectly. It's reliable from one tank fill to the next.

Good luck!
    Zphinx likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast