What does a kick do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What does a kick do?

Default What does a kick do?

I'm sub ohming at .6 ohm on a nemesis mod with a 35a 18650 battery..I've yet to find out what a kick does...can anyone help out??

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

A kick will boost the voltage (and provide control of the voltage or power) so that you aren't just stuck with a single combination of battery voltage and coil resistance. You can "tweak the heat" to get the vape you like. They are for higher-resistance coils, though (generally 1 ohm and up). However, they can put as much power into a higher-resistance coil than your current setup with the .6 ohms (since you're stuck with whatever voltage your battery is currently putting out).

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Depending on your kick it sets your watts or volts to a specific range and keeps them their. I have a watts kick. I adjust my kick for what ever watts I want to vape on my nemisis with and it keeps the watts stable and at that level. Hope this helps

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

It also provides you with a consistent vape throughout the charge of your battery from full charge (4.2 volts) down to when it needs recharging (around 2.7-2.8 volts). Meaning each vape you take will be the exact same. It will take away the problem of the battery drop off that you get when running a strictly mechanical mod on battery charge and will allow you to be between 5-15 watts for a longer duration of time as opposed to using a mech without a kick. The specs I mentioned are for the legit Kick2 by Evolv

I could go to 30 watts?
    So does this drain battery faster?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Petten View Post
    I'm sub ohming at .6 ohm on a nemesis mod with a 35a 18650 battery..I've yet to find out what a kick does...can anyone help out??
    If you do not know what a kick does you probably shouldn't be sub ohming yet. Just sayin! Enjoy the day!
    I'd rather be happy than right any day! Live the dream!

Never cared to look into it til now

Kick is just a generic term for one of several voltage regulators for mechanical mods, not just the Evolv Kick. The fancier ones will adjust the volts to get a desired wattage. They can provide a more consistent vape, but TANSTAAFL*.

The end goal is to get power (Watts) to the coil. For vapers, using ohm's law you get to Watts = Volts * Volts / Ohms.

For unregulated mechanical mods, you can not control the volts, so you control the ohms on your coil. This will increase the amps which will increase the watts. Regulated mods will increase the volts to increase the watts. In most cases, there is no point in sub-ohming on a regulated mod, and most of them won't support it.

The downside to kicks are:

- Less efficient - they consume more power than they output

- Less responsive - they increase the volts by storing in capacitors then discharging (pulsing). This takes a little longer to heat the coil, but is really only noticeable in some builds

- Wattage limits - Most kicks are limited to 15 watts, nicer ones at 20 watts. Your build will exceed that at 3.6 volts to the coil.

- Battery limits - The minimum charge on your battery is higher to use a kick. When it reaches that limit, it will stop working.

There are a few others that come down to fitment on your mod, but it really is a matter of preference. IMO, regulated mods are like driving an automatic, kicks are like manumatics, and unregulated mechanical mods are like driving a manual. You can get more performance out of it, but you need to know what you are doing.

*TANSTAAFL - There aint no such thing as a free lunch!
    Zildjian and Roccov like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petten View Post
    I could go to 30 watts?
    So does this drain battery faster?
    Absolutely. Batteries are rated in mAh which is milliamp hours= amps/time. Either directly affects the other.
    Vape On!!...............Carpe Diem!

Proud CASAA Member

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

I have a Kick-2 in my Nemesis, but that's because the resistance I want to use in my Kayfun is to hot on a fresh battery, and if I up the resistance so that it's good on a fresh battery it has me swapping out batteries to soon.
    I just set the Kick-2 to 10 watts, and I get my desired 3.5v from start to finish.

Kick-2 + HCigar Nemesis = 1/2 the price of a Provari
    Last edited by tj99959; 06-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Zildjian likes this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast