newbi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: newbi

Default newbi

Hi everyone, I'm new here and in a few days hope to be a new vapor. Finally talked my husband into joining me in quitting cigs. But I am so confused with what starter kit to buy. I have looked at the Kanger Evod and the Halo Triton. Unfortunately money is an issue since I'm having to buy 2 kits. Also I have read about leaking and gurgling with the Evod. I don't want this to be a nasty experience right off the bat for my husband. he has no patience at all for something that doesn't work. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of what to purchase to get us started on vaping.
    The Ocelot and TheKiwi like this.

PV Master Verified Member TheKiwi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default newbi

Yay! Finally someone who doesn't come in, and have a first post that goes "how do I blow beeeg beeeeeg clouds!"

Before the crazies come in with their suggestions for you to get a mech, RDA and start subohming your face off....I'll go first!

It seems like you're comfortable with a ego sized battery (they're kinda like. Skinnier cigars.) and don't need a cig-a-like. Excellent! IMO any of the decently branded ego would be a great choice. Perhaps you could advise us on a little more details, and I can even help you search for some deals:

1) what's your budget for both your husband and yourself? This includes the starter kit and juice

2) is your preference towards pocketability or battery life? Ego batteries can go from 350mah (tiny little things) to 1300mah last time I checked. But those are decently long. If you're looking for a full time replacement for cigarettes, then buying a smaller battery will necessarily require you to have multiples.

3) this might be a stretch, but any chance you or your husband might be into a box mod like a MVP v2? It's very very safe. Affordable at 40bucks, and will easily last you 1.5 to 2.5 days.

Overall, until you give more details, I'm very very happy that the both of you guys are gonna be in this together, and your motivation is to quit the cancer sticks. The ego is a GREAT choice; don't let the ERMAGERD JUST BUY A MECH crowd sway you.

ETA: IMO you'll be fine sticking to a starter kit + juice. Of course it doesn't have to be a fixed kit per se. As long as you have the ego battery, a charger for it, a clearomizer or cartotank (NOT any rebuildables), and juice, I think you're solid. Just update on more details and we'll get you along

ETA: oh I just remembered. Could you also let us know how heavy a smoker were you and your husband, that will affect how many mg nic you'll need for your juice, and also likely need to take into consideration the expected longevity of your tank's coils. (Heavier smokers tend to chain vape like craaaaazy when they first start, so the "life span" of the stock coil is a worthy consideration)
    Last edited by TheKiwi; 09-01-2014 at 04:21 PM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by appaloosastar View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and in a few days hope to be a new vapor. Finally talked my husband into joining me in quitting cigs. But I am so confused with what starter kit to buy. I have looked at the Kanger Evod and the Halo Triton. Unfortunately money is an issue since I'm having to buy 2 kits. Also I have read about leaking and gurgling with the Evod. I don't want this to be a nasty experience right off the bat for my husband. he has no patience at all for something that doesn't work. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of what to purchase to get us started on vaping.
    Between those two: evod and halo
    get the evod.

The halo is good but the interface is different.

The evod kit uses the standard 510/eGo thread interface and will be compatible with other equipment.

Super Member ECF Veteran Kropotkin's Avatar

Welcome, Apaloosastar. (I'm assuming you're a fellow horseperson? Yes!)

Congratulation on your decision to quit!

I managed to quit with a crummy little cigalike, so, honestly, I think anything's possible. That being said, I bet the Evod would turn out to be a very good choice. A dear friend finally made the big switch after moving up from cigalikes to Evods, and they seem to have made all the difference for her.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Triton, but there are lots of online reviews to help you choose. Just do a YouTube search on both devices, and check out the reviewers with the largest number of subscribers. (People seem to especially like PBusardo, Grimm Green and Todds Ecigreviews, just to name a few.)

Super Member Verified Member
    Blog Entries

I agree with TheWiki, if you could give us some more details as far as budget go's and size, I know many of us could help you find something you'd be happy with, and possibly where to get it for a steal
    TheKiwi likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Money shouldn't be a problem because right away your going to be saving money NOT BUYING cigs in a week a two you could recover the full cost of startup.

Most of us start out with a simple device and progress up from there, don't worry you won't be throwing money out the window it can be used as a backup device later on because one thing you don't want to do when starting vaping is NOT be able to vape even for a day.

There are many pen type devices out here starting at $10.00 and up. A nice startup setup can be a VISION SPINNER their come in colors and give the sense of holding a CIG in your hand. Your also need some sort of tank/carto/atomizer system.

If you have a vapor store in your area the best bet would be to go there most store will let you sample flavors and explain the do's and don'ts they can help a lot and then your pick it up by yourself keep in mind it's a learning curve, what one person likes another might not.

Happy vaping and welcome enjoy your experience, it got a ton of us off of cigs.

Last edited by mightymen; 09-01-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    Susan~S and XBarbarian like this.
    Grit is as a positive non-cognitive trait that involves perseverance of effort to accomplish a long term goal no matter what obstacles or challenges lay within a “gritty” individual’s path.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

welcome!!! glad you found this site.. it was transformative for my vaping journey! really really nice people and sense of global community! so much to learn!
    mightymen likes this.
    Non Smoker Since 6/25/14 - Thanks to becoming a Vaper!
    Mods: VS rDNA 30, REO Grand sl/lp, A-Mod (zna clone), Cartel, Stingray-X, iStick
    Attys: Erlkonigin, R91%, RM2, Atomic (bf modded), Tobh, Plumeveil, Magma, Nautilus's

I got the ego-t starter kit and loved it! It comes with one battery, Two Eliq-Carts with mouthpieces, one charger, a case, and a needle bottle. Hope that helped!
    mightymen and XBarbarian like this.

Budget for us both would be a total of 120/130 max I like the sounds of a MVP if I only knew what that was! I think for both of us batteries lasting all day needs to be a must. We both smoke a pack a day and we smoke 100's. We don't want anything that looks like a real cig we want to get really far away from them. We are older folks, 60, and my husband had a heart attack a few years back, he needs to stop now. I think he probably will chain vape for awhile but better than cigs. Any advice and help is much appreciated.
    mightymen likes this.

Yep! you've got a horse lover and owner here. My horse hates it when it come to her smelling like a cig! I have been all over youtube which is probably why I am so confused. Anything will be better than cigs at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast