Allergic to VG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Allergic to VG

  1. #1
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    mrtuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    295

    Default Allergic to VG

    I am allergic to coconut/palm oil which VG is made of. What's a good site to get a wide selection of PG for the 510? Figures I am allergic to the healthy stuff! LOL

  2. #2
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrtuna View Post
    I am allergic to coconut/palm oil which VG is made of. What's a good site to get a wide selection of PG for the 510? Figures I am allergic to the healthy stuff! LOL
    I am confused by this statement. VG is not made of palm or coconut oils, but it might be made from these oils, as well as corn and other vegetable oils. The oils are hydrolyzed to produce VG and the other product is the fatty acids associated with those oils. There is no veg oil left in the final purified VG. It is just glycerin, as in >99% pure.

    Are you having problems with VG and feel you are having similar allergic reactions to that of palm or coconut oil?

    And what do you mean by "a wide selction of PG"? Do you mean a wide variety of ejuice flavors that use PG as opposed to VG? If this is the case, there are many vendors. MyFreedomSmokes has a lot of following here, and lots of flavored e-juices, as well as unflavored, in PG. But really there is no shortage of PG juices available...most of the vendors listed at the bottom of the ECF homepage carry PG juices...its more common than VG juices.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    mrtuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I am confused by this statement. VG is not made of palm or coconut oils, but it might be made from these oils, as well as corn and other vegetable oils. The oils are hydrolyzed to produce VG and the other product is the fatty acids associated with those oils. There is no veg oil left in the final purified VG. It is just glycerin, as in >99% pure.

    Are you having problems with VG and feel you are having similar allergic reactions to that of palm or coconut oil?

    And what do you mean by "a wide selction of PG"? Do you mean a wide variety of ejuice flavors that use PG as opposed to VG? If this is the case, there are many vendors. MyFreedomSmokes has a lot of following here, and lots of flavored e-juices, as well as unflavored, in PG. But really there is no shortage of PG juices available...most of the vendors listed at the bottom of the ECF homepage carry PG juices...its more common than VG juices.
    I am having the some reaction and looked up what it is made of. Is there a way that processing can take the allergins out? I am looking for many flavors and will check out what you suggested. Sorry if questions are lame! Total newbie.

  4. #4
    Full Member lavalamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Cignot usually has a wide selection of both PG and non-PG liquids.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Gardena, CA
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Well, I don't think I'm allergic, but am having nausea issues. Going back to pg as soon as my order get here from TW.

  6. #6
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Are you sure it's an allergic reaction? There are many similar symptoms between allergies and withdrawal. There was a post some time ago about this only the concern was an allergy to PG. Many of the things in cigarette smoke can cause you to go through withdrawal. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose and itching are some of the things I went through. I thought I was allergic to the PG and started using VG, but after a while everything cleared up and I can now use either. I'm off to see if I can find that information for you. If I do, I'll post the link here.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    mrtuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Livestrong article:
    Vegetable glycerin is used in a number of personal and hygiene products and is also available as an oil supplement in liquid form. Glycerin is a plant extract that is thick like syrup, has no aroma and has a sweet taste, according to Botanical.com. Glycerin for use as vegetable glycerin is often derived from plants like coconut or palm. The product is used in shampoos, soaps, toothpaste and herbal remedies. Understanding the dangers of vegetable glycerin enables consumers to make wise choices regarding their household products.
    Skin Irritation
    Skin lotions and products containing vegetable glycerin may cause redness and irritation for some users. According to the label from one brand, Now Foods Vegetable Glycerin, found on iHerb.com, the product is to be discontinued if any such irritation develops.
    Allergic Reaction
    Any individual allergic to palm or coconut oil (or their extracts or byproducts) should be wary of products containing vegetable glycerin. Some products containing vegetable glycerin also contain preservatives to extend shelf life, states HealingWell.com, such as sulfite preservatives, which may also trigger allergic reactions.
    Labeling Misconceptions
    According to National Health Federation, glycerin is used an an emollient and a humectant, or key ingredients to lotions and shampoos to help keep creams and lotions retain their moisture. However, unless a product specifically states that glycerin comes from coconut or vegetable sources, it may actually be a product of pig fat, and when combined with disterate, or stearic acid, may actually be quite caustic or irritating to the skin.

  8. #8
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran keyzygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Key West,Fl.
    Posts
    18,310

    Default

    I had a reaction to vg,My entire body developed a rash.It happened overnight and took a while to heal.
    Its nice to be important,but its more important to be nice.

  9. #9
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrtuna View Post
    Livestrong article:
    Vegetable glycerin is used in a number of personal and hygiene products and is also available as an oil supplement in liquid form. Glycerin is a plant extract that is thick like syrup, has no aroma and has a sweet taste, according to Botanical.com. Glycerin for use as vegetable glycerin is often derived from plants like coconut or palm. The product is used in shampoos, soaps, toothpaste and herbal remedies. Understanding the dangers of vegetable glycerin enables consumers to make wise choices regarding their household products.
    Skin Irritation
    Skin lotions and products containing vegetable glycerin may cause redness and irritation for some users. According to the label from one brand, Now Foods Vegetable Glycerin, found on iHerb.com, the product is to be discontinued if any such irritation develops.
    Allergic Reaction
    Any individual allergic to palm or coconut oil (or their extracts or byproducts) should be wary of products containing vegetable glycerin. Some products containing vegetable glycerin also contain preservatives to extend shelf life, states HealingWell.com, such as sulfite preservatives, which may also trigger allergic reactions.
    Labeling Misconceptions
    According to National Health Federation, glycerin is used an an emollient and a humectant, or key ingredients to lotions and shampoos to help keep creams and lotions retain their moisture. However, unless a product specifically states that glycerin comes from coconut or vegetable sources, it may actually be a product of pig fat, and when combined with disterate, or stearic acid, may actually be quite caustic or irritating to the skin.
    Well, there you go. It could well be just that. No problem about posting noob questions...that's what this forum is for! I don't have these issues, but evidently it is possible for some. PG also bothers you?

    Wolf: good point. I had gastric issues initially probably from withdrawal, as has been discussed here on ECF. I do still have a couple real analogs a day currently. Without them, or at least what's in them (snus might work), I get constipated and stomach achy. Makes sense since the MAOIs in tobacco affect the smooth muscles, the colon being one. This is a typical cholinergic response of MAOIs.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

  10. #10
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keyzygirl View Post
    I had a reaction to vg,My entire body developed a rash.It happened overnight and took a while to heal.
    Keyzygirl, wow! That sounds like an overt immune response, not just irritation. I wonder if others have had this. I have not at all, but it sounds like a reaction I get to penicillin. Body rash is definitely something that is indicating a serious threat, and the next time it could be the throat closing up. I take it PG is not a problem...considering you are an ultra member now.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks