Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throat and sinus infection

Default Throat and sinus infection

Hi I am brand new to the forum. I have been vaping for about two and a half weeks. I got my starter kit in the hopes that it would help me and my girlfriend cut back on smoking analogs. It has worked wonders for me, but my girlfriend complained that it hurt her throat and would only take a couple drags at a time. I thought that maybe she was being irritated by the pg so I ordered some vg carts. After finding a flavor that she liked, last night she vaped vg on and off for about two to three hours before going to bed. My girlfriend woke up with a really sore throat, fever, headache, stomach pains, etc. She went to the doctor today and the doctor said she has a throat and sinus infection. Has anyone ever heard of ecigs causing infections like this? Or is it most likely a coincidence? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Super Member ECF Veteran

I haven't heard of it.Could be coincidenlal. If you scroll down a bit you will see a pane , Forum Jump. There is a section that covers health and medical issues. Maybe that could give you some answers. Hope your friend recovers soon.

Thanks I'll see if I can find anything there.

I know I should have posted this in the health and medical issues, but I believe I can only post in the new members section since my post count is really low.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Its really not likely that a mechancial device would cause a bacterial infection unless it wasn't clean to begin wth - but I'm fairly sure bacteria can't live long outside of a host organism.
    Did anyone else who used the kit (if indeed anyone did - that includes anyone who handled it - may not have puffed on it) recently have a cold/flu/illness?
    Its possible she picked up the bug from another (recent)user who hasn't developed any symptoms or is immune to that strain also if anyone else DID use it prior to her using it.
    Moral to others: wash mouthpieces regularly!
    Other than that, I'd put it down to coincidence or bad luck. Hope she feels better soon - sinus infection is horrid.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Sounds like it came on sorta fast for it to have been caused by the vaping? In any case, the vaping probably did irritate an existing condition. It high allergy season right now and sinus/ear infections are pretty common. Drink lotsa water and try some saline rinses...

Depending on where you are, at this time of year I would call it a coincidence. The pollen count has been up pretty high where I am, plus another round of h1n1 is out and about.

She should probably not reuse carts while she is sick... that could just perpetuate or spread the cold. Drink fluids.

Lab
    Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

never seen a post of anyone getting a sinus infection..

as for the sore throat that is a common effect that ppl get.. because the glycerin drains you of fluids.. increase the amount of water you drink.. and cloriceptic spray works to help

Full Member The Gentleman Cannibal's Avatar

A friend back in school said that every time he tried to quit he got a respiratory ailment of some kind (bronchitis was the norm). I don't know the validity of his claim was, but I guess it might be possible. But more like than not it's just a coincidence. No idea on your location, but the transition from winter to spring can bring about all kinds of fun sinus issues.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Hi mrog -

I posted quit a while back with the same issues. I had been vapping for about a month when I got a sinus infection and "pink eye".

After medication, the sinus infection healed. The "pink eye" is another story. (I received drops for this and had been using it for about a month with little improvement.)

What I have noticed, and I believe, at least for me, is that when I vape, and blow the vapor in front of me, most of the vapor goes up inside my glasses. Since the vapor doesn't sting like cig smoke, I never connected the two actions until recently.

Now, since I've been blowing the vapor out the side of my mouth, I haven't had a problem with sinuses, throat irritation. My eyes aren't gunky either and are a lot better than before. Another thing I noticed is that I was getting white heads on my nose from the vapor being blown in front of me. When I stopped doing that, no white heads on the nose.

Check and see if your girlfriend is blowing the vapor in front of her face. If so, try blowing it out the side of the mouth and see if that doesn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast