Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-cigs & Blue Cross/Blue Shield Regs

Ultra Member

Question E-cigs & Blue Cross/Blue Shield Regs

I was scheduled to have back surgery this month & recently found out that BC/BS is denying my surgery because I'm a smoker. They say I have to be done with smoking for 6 weeks before they will approve my surgery. I was planning on quitting soon anyway but was slightly upset about them not telling me before. No info in any literature. First of all, I would like to know how they would know if I quit or not. Is there a test? I recently started using the ecigs and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with insurance providers and ecigs.

Yes, there is a test, but it's a nicotine test. So someone heavy hitting the approved NRT patches would test positive as well. That's a whole can of worms right there, affects people looking for employment too, but I'll leave it at that.

The real reason I replied though is I wanted to ask: Man, on what grounds are they denying you back surgery just because you smoke/smoked? I mean seriously! This one I gotta hear.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

If you are using ecigs you should be fine. The half life of nicotine is pretty short...about 2 hours.

And the half life of cotinine is about 20 hours. So we are talking days and days before there is no trace or anything that paints you as a nicotine addict. (It's not as simple as just giving up the puffing 24 hours before the test.)

I think the real question is are they gonna haul you into a lab just to see what kind of substances you are addicted to? And I'm still curious to know why they even care. I'm assuming you were truthful before even purchasing the policy so there must be some medical reason rather than an "ah hah!" type thing.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    And the half life of cotinine is about 20 hours. So we are talking days and days before there is no trace or anything that paints you as a nicotine addict. (It's not as simple as just giving up the puffing 24 hours before the test.)

I think the real question is are they gonna haul you into a lab just to see what kind of substances you are addicted to? And I'm still curious to know why they even care. I'm assuming you were truthful before even purchasing the policy so there must be some medical reason rather than an "ah hah!" type thing.
    Ahh..I didn't know that. So about a week of waiting to be safe. Good info to have should I ever have to live in country without socialized medicine.

sorry..couldn't resist

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I had back surgery in 2001. My doc made me quit smoking prior... smoking reduces the body's ability to heal properly. Probably has something to do with the amount of oxygen in your blood.

i'm in the same situation I need double knee replacements and I have to be smoke free for 6 weeks prior as well not only is it a matter of smoking slowing the healing but it is also a circulation problem as well. to be on the safe side I'm hoping to be nic free by then as well still vapeing but zero nic liquid only.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Idahojo

give 0 nic juice a try.....
    MODS:2x Provari's V1, 2x Brass JustGG #1823 and 1546, SS JustGG #1114, Brass Astro #75
    ATOMIZERS:The Russian and The Russian 91%, Ithaka #4642 and #5873
    RETIRED: RSM Mk4VV and VV Monkeyboxx CAUTION: Im vaping @ VV...Keep back 500ft :p

Full Member ECF Veteran

I highly doubt that BC/BS is denying your surgery because they are worried about complications. I'm sorry, I just don't think health insurance companies are altruistic. I just wonder if they are putting weight restrictions on morbidly obese people as well. Probably not, because that would be politically incorrect, whereas jumping all over smokers IS politically correct.

Just my little morning vent....

Super Member ECF Veteran

Idahojo
    How long have you had your policy? How did they know you smoked? I've googled your situation, but relative to smoking I'm not getting links with much info.

If time permits, I'll wotk on it before bed. Right now I can't see your state. If you don't have it posted could you let me know via a message what State you live in. It might help me with searching for information and appeals for you. Thanks!

momswann
    Obesity is on the radar already
    How Employers Wage War On Workplace Obesity - Forbes.com

In Tennessee BC/BS is requiring an IQ test prior to allowing surgery for the obese.
    Tennessee has IQ test requirement for weight loss surgery! Wow!-Obesity Surgery-Obesity Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast