Ease my conscience
The Truth About Electronic Cigarettes | Quit Smoking (Yesterday)
Just read this, and while i still obviously prefer this to the chemicals in analogs, I just want to know if people have more information on this.
I havent read it yet but somehow I know that anything that is titled 'the truth about...' is going to contain guesswork and conjecture - and opinion - as unless Im hugely mistaken trials going on for years ( the usual way we find out most truths about how chemicals work on the human body) haven't been conducted yet.
Maybe I should've titled this post 'the truth about conjecture'
how funny that the only ads that appear on the page are for greensmoke.
"while i still obviously prefer this to the chemicals in analogs" - i think you eased your own conscience ...
I read it.
It's pretty weak.
Also, I couldn't help but chuckle at the embedded green smoke ads all over the site.
In the article he states that there is no proof that e-cigs help you stop smoking. Well I for one would like to disagree. I was a 1.5 pack/day smoker for 20+ yrs. I tried everything to quit even for a month with no success. See my signature below...that says it all!
He also says the following:
Some of my concerns about e-cigarettes are:
- They are manufactured and marketed in a completely different manner than traditional smoking remedies such as nicotine patches or gum alternatives. He has a point and hence why I make my own liquid and only buy nic liquid manufactured in the United States. That is regulated.
- Marketed to a more ‘cool’ demographic. Since when did I become "cool"?! I am a PhD candidate in Molecular Biology...nothing much cool about that...lol On this forum you will find people from grandparents to young adults.
- Offered in flavors such as chocolate, strawberry and even coffee. This carries the danger of luring in non-smokers and children who purchase e-cigarettes for their flavour. I have no issues with different flavors. It actually is one of the reasons I can not stand analogs...they taste horrid! He obviously thinks that all liquid made for the e-cig contains nicotine which we know is not true. Many of us are slowly lowering our nicotine levels so that we are eventually nicotine free. Even then, I will continue to vape for enjoyment. The two main ingredients in the liquid are PG and VG which are common additives to food and medicinal products. As for the children issue, it should be the same as it is for anything else. Do not sell to minors!
1) an e-cig is not a quitting smoking device it is a different delivery method for nicotine. many people have slowly lowered their nicotine levels over time and quit. but it is still a form of delivering nicotine. so correct on that...
2) battery powered not tested on heavy smokers and their patters.... look on this forum lots of testing, yes it is different, I have had a battery die, I have also had a pack of cigarettes run out.
3) Propylene Glycol USP Food Grade, read the MSDS Propylene Glycol USP/EP (PG USP/EP) there are many references to it in a different grade
4) Tetramethylpyrazine I have no knowledge of this being used in any of the e-juice that I have bought notice this is one thine mentioned with no where to see where the claim is coming from
5) no mention of the 3000+ chemicals that we get with our analogue vs vapor. VERY few marked e-cigs as smoking cessation, but a smoking alternative, without the tar, and I for one can now breath when I wake up instead of cough
Alcohol drinks containing flavors and in cans
- Marketed to a more ‘cool’ demographic. Nobody who isn't cool drinks, right? I mean lets forget the episodes of COPS where all the trailer trash are strung out on cans of bud right as the 'po-po' arrive to arrest them for terrible fashion choices and bad haircuts.
- Offered in flavors such as chocolate, strawberry and even coffee. This carries the danger of luring in non-smokers and children who purchase e-cigarettes for their flavour. ok maybe not coffee or choc but certainly strawberry, other fruits etc And they are mixed with cocacola! Definitely something only young people drink! Its a conspiracy!
See how I can turn it around. Lets re-title it 'The truth about drinking!'
Drinks are also made abroad - so they MUST be full of cancer causing agents - and also perhaps communists as well. Maybe they come free with your Russian vodka (2 for 1 deal sounds interesting..)
As I thought - opinion and conjecture - also wrong info and info with no sources quoted, which makes it opinion.
I read nothing in that statement about anything dangerous about e-smoking.
What here makes them dangerous?
"Some of my concerns about e-cigarettes are:
That artical was full of speculation, and what they were speculating about really didn't sound all that dangerous to me. Bottom line, would you rather smoke something that is KNOWN to cause cancer, emphysema, cronic brochitis and many many more illnesses or something thats "cool" and comes in "chocolate"?
- They are manufactured and marketed in a completely different manner than traditional smoking remedies such as nicotine patches or gum alternatives.
- Marketed to a more ‘cool’ demographic.
- Offered in flavors such as chocolate, strawberry and even coffee. This carries the danger of luring in non-smokers and children who purchase e-cigarettes for their flavour."
Last edited by diverdown; 03-23-2010 at 09:28 PM.
yeah, that was weak. So, basically it's saying that even though we know for sure that cigarette kills millions of people a year (isn't it the leading cause of death each year?) we shouldn't try anything new because we don't have enough evidence that it works and is safe. PFFT! I have a scientific study for you: read the posts! All the hundreds of people on the forum saying they quit 20,30,40 year smoking addictions with the e-cig. And so many saying they can actually breath for the first time in years. Saying it's a miracle! Saying they no longer need their asthma medicine. Yeah, it's weak.
The author recants his statements/opinions down in the comments section.