Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650 - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 165
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

  1. #11
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    mlinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    From the thread Rechargeable Batteries :

    Our advice is that the best and safest battery for mods is the AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeable.
    It is a safe-chemistry battery that needs no protection, and has a high-discharge rating meaning that it is safer to use with high-current devices such as atomizers.

    It is thought that the safest option is the largest AW Li-Mn battery that can be fitted.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

  2. #12
    Retired ECF Forum Manager Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    oldsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows
    Posts
    12,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlinky View Post
    Really? Then what about Roly's recommendation? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ries-mods.html

    I've been going under the impression that the AW IMR is the safest battery to use in a mod, per that post (and the related posts). So now what?
    I would like to point out that even safe chemistry batteries hold some risk. The best thing to do is become completely (as possible) educated in the area of batteries and proper charging/usage etc. A good resource for that is http://batteryuniversity.com/ I am sure that many of the EE's and electronic whizzes that hang out on the boards will happily explain the pros and cons of the different chemistries.

    I just posted the pictures as a cautionary tale and to remind the new vapers that there is indeed a reason that we counsel safety precautions such as using protected batteries. Once you become an educated vaper, it is up to you to make your own decisions.
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 05-22-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: fixed typo in url

  3. #13
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    mlinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Seriously, from the information that is now posted as a sticky in New Members, it is apparent that there is a divergence in opinion within ECF. Which is safer? Protected Lithium, where the protection circuit can fail and result in explosion and poisoning, or unprotected safe chemistry, where what is pictured can happen?
    Karla Lyle and Vwls like this.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

  4. #14
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    mlinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I would like to point out that even safe chemistry batteries hold some risk. The best thing to do is become completely (as possible) educated in the area of batteries and proper charging/usage etc. A good resource for that is Battery information from Battery University I am sure that many of the EE's and electronic whizzes that hang out on the boards will happily explain the pros and cons of the different chemistries.

    I just posted the pictures as a cautionary tale and to remind the new vapers that there is indeed a reason that we counsel safety precautions such as using protected batteries. Once you become an educated vaper, it is up to you to make your own decisions.
    Then it is misleading to newcomers. I see a lot of new vapers who know to "only use protected batteries" and believe that the IMR's fall in the "bad" category because they are unprotected.
    Uma, FeistyAlice and ScottChensoda like this.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

  5. #15
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlinky View Post
    Really? Then what about Roly's recommendation? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ries-mods.html

    I've been going under the impression that the AW IMR is the safest battery to use in a mod, per that post (and the related posts). So now what?
    Yeah...So now what is right. I'm using a big ole AW IMR 18650 right now as I type. Be nice to have some more info on exactly what happened.
    FeistyAlice, Vwls and Jamilah like this.

  6. #16
    Retired ECF Forum Manager Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    oldsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows
    Posts
    12,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonG View Post
    a lot of energy in our little batteries. Wow! glad there was no injury. Maybe one of the other items in the case held the button depressed for an extended amount of time?
    I would suspect that it is a distinct possibility. Another possibility is a short. Either way a protected battery should have shut down before going into thermal overload. I'm just glad no one was hurt regardless of the cause.

  7. #17
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    mlinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I would suspect that it is a distinct possibility. Another possibility is a short. Either way a protected battery should have shut down before going into thermal overload. I'm just glad no one was hurt regardless of the cause.
    So what you are saying is that it is now the official position of ECF that a protected Lithium battery is preferred over an unprotected safe chemistry battery? If that is not what you are saying, it is certainly the inference.
    FeistyAlice likes this.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

  8. #18
    Retired ECF Forum Manager Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    oldsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows
    Posts
    12,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlinky View Post
    Then it is misleading to newcomers. I see a lot of new vapers who know to "only use protected batteries" and believe that the IMR's fall in the "bad" category because they are unprotected.
    Now you are just arguing semantics. I'm not out to start a battery war, I'm merely showing that batteries (even "safe/safer chemistry" ones) can and will catastrophically fail. If it had a protection circuit it would very likely have cut off and not failed in such a manner.

    People need to see the bad as well as the good. If we close our eyes and pretend things don't exist we cannot properly prepare ourselves and take measures against these things. Just my personal opinion of course.

  9. #19
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    mlinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Now you are just arguing semantics. I'm not out to start a battery war, I'm merely showing that batteries (even "safe/safer chemistry" ones) can and will catastrophically fail. If it had a protection circuit it would very likely have cut off and not failed in such a manner.

    People need to see the bad as well as the good. If we close our eyes and pretend things don't exist we cannot properly prepare ourselves and take measures against these things. Just my personal opinion of course.
    I am not arguing semantics, I am stating that the title of the thread and the posts that you have made basically carry the message that the only battery that should be used in a mod is a protected battery. Since lithium batteries are protected, and safe chemistry batteries are not, you are saying that the lithium battery is preferred. Because that is not the "official" position, I am asking if that has changed.

    And I have no idea what the "battery wars" are, although I have heard them referred to.
    FeistyAlice likes this.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

  10. #20
    Retired ECF Forum Manager Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    oldsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows
    Posts
    12,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlinky View Post
    So what you are saying is that it is now the official position of ECF that a protected Lithium battery is preferred over an unprotected safe chemistry battery? If that is not what you are saying, it is certainly the inference.
    What I am saying is simply this: batteries fail. If you choose to use a protected battery, safe chemistry, or unprotected battery it is entirely your decision. Make an informed decision, because ultimately it is your own choice. All we can do is offer information about the options and recommendations based on personal experience and experience of our collective membership.

    I do not retract my position nor do I stand to proclaim that this is ECF policy. The pictures are there so people can see what happens when a battery goes south. So stop trying to read more into it than there is

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks