Here are some pictures that illustrate what can happen when
you use an unprotected batterya battery fails. The lady this happened to was not harmed, but her coat pocket caught on fire. The case in the photos is a metal eyeglass case.
Edit: It was pointed out that my post might be inflammatory and that this flies directly in the face of "conventional wisdom." These photographs were not posted in order to "stir the pot". Rest assured that the forum administrative staff will be looking it over and discussing possible revisions or amendments to our battery safety stickies.
1. Shorting out a safer-chemistry battery in the pocket or purse can create a fire.
These batteries can supply tens of amps when short-circuited - there is one that can deliver 70 amps.
YOU MUST SWITCH OFF YOUR ECIG USING A MASTER SWITCH OR REMOVE THE CARTO, when putting it away in a purse or pocket.
2. Loose batteries must be placed inside a safe, non-conducting container where nothing can touch the terminals. A metal case is not ideal.
3. All well-known batteries are extensively counterfeited now, and this applies especially to AW and Tenergy. All AW batteries sold on Alibaba are counterfeit. Fake batteries are dangerous.