Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree323Likes

Thread: Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

Retired ECF Forum Manager Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

Here are some pictures that illustrate what can happen when you use an unprotected battery a battery fails. The lady this happened to was not harmed, but her coat pocket caught on fire. The case in the photos is a metal eyeglass case.

Edit: It was pointed out that my post might be inflammatory and that this flies directly in the face of "conventional wisdom." These photographs were not posted in order to "stir the pot". Rest assured that the forum administrative staff will be looking it over and discussing possible revisions or amendments to our battery safety stickies.

Please Note:
    1. Shorting out a safer-chemistry battery in the pocket or purse can create a fire.
    These batteries can supply tens of amps when short-circuited - there is one that can deliver 70 amps.
    YOU MUST SWITCH OFF YOUR ECIG USING A MASTER SWITCH OR REMOVE THE CARTO, when putting it away in a purse or pocket.

2. Loose batteries must be placed inside a safe, non-conducting container where nothing can touch the terminals. A metal case is not ideal.

3. All well-known batteries are extensively counterfeited now, and this applies especially to AW and Tenergy. All AW batteries sold on Alibaba are counterfeit. Fake batteries are dangerous.

Last edited by rolygate; 04-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.

2. Advertisement
    PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Thanks, OS! I think this pretty much drives the point home, for those who were wondering.
    pounder, TomiGirl and Enteng like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'm just glad the lady wasn't hurt. And from what I understand she wasn't deterred by the mishap, she went to her car and found her passthrough! Now that is a trouper, I think I might have fallen off the wagon and bummed a smoke right after something like that happened.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

She's very lucky, indeed! Had that been in her hand or, gods forbid, in her face it might have been much worse!

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Actually, safe chemistry batteries are good. The title should be about why you should use protected LITHIUM batteries. There are safe chemistry batteries that are unprotected, because they don't need to be protected.
    Heavyrocker likes this.
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

the battery is a AW IMR

Super Member ECF Veteran

a lot of energy in our little batteries. Wow! glad there was no injury. Maybe one of the other items in the case held the button depressed for an extended amount of time?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the post with pictures. I actually have two of the batteries that I use in my Indulgence that are not protected...out they go into recycling.
    kanadiankat, Deeked and Enteng like this.

"Portraits of yourself are how you are seen by others. Let go of any judgments you may have of how you appear to yourself." http://www.NashvilleImage.com

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    the battery is a AW IMR
    Really? Then what about Roly's recommendation? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ries-mods.html

I've been going under the impression that the AW IMR is the safest battery to use in a mod, per that post (and the related posts). So now what?
    Vaping since 11/24/10 Thank you ECF & www.reosmods.com

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Man, what flavor was she vaping? I'ma have to try some of that. Talk about throat hit.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast