Darwin asthetics?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Darwin asthetics?

Default Darwin asthetics?

I am interested in buying a Darwin, probably in September when I get back from a trip. I've read everything about it and watched the videos, so I am aware of the technical aspects and the possible negatives. However, I have 2 questions which I haven't seen addressed.

The first is how durable is it? By this I mean, how does it operate after being dropped, say, 1 meter onto a hardwood or concrete floor? Will be break open or be destroyed?

The second is about aesthetics. It seems a bit unwieldy in the video. How do people vape it? Is it comfortable to use? How do you carry it around? How do you put it on a desk? It doesn't seem like it can stand stably on its own.

Thanks!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I find mine very comfortable and easy to use, no issues there.
    As for durability I haven't had to test that yet but it's built SOLID - more so than any other mod I've seen yet. Other mods have little battery doors/plates, exposed buttons, fixed atty/carto plugs, and are made out of plastic or thin metal - all things that could easy break or dent. The Darwin is built like a friggin' tank. I would know - I was a tanker for 10 years.
    Out here in the desert I just drop it into a pocket on my uniform and don't worry about it. The 126+F ambient temps here during the day don't heat it up that bad as long as you keep it out of the sun and I'm not seeing anywhere where dust from the storms have gotten into it.
    vocr likes this.

Drip Tip Hoarder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I actually love the shape-I have been known to drop a round pv from time to time and have yet to do so with the Darwin. It feels awkward at first (because we are used to round), but I quickly found that it has a better feel to it in the hand.
    It fits better in the pocket than a round object, also-when you do so-put it upside down so any juice in the atty/carto stays in the atty/carto. Another aspect I like is that I can use it with the atomizer in a standing position for atomizers, I find this keeps more juice in the cup.
    I have a drip shield on mine with a 510-510 stealth adapter to keep any over dripping off the mod-just for a precaution.
    If you want to use a tank on the Darwin, the Gooseneck (mention that it will be for the Darwin-1.5 in length) will make it so you can shut it off with a tank installed. Won't be pocket friendly with a tank installed-unless you have cargo pants!

Thanks guys! The main reason I find the Darwin so compelling is that its not a pipe bomb mod and I don't have to carry any of the crazy batteries or their chargers, but I was a little concerned that the shape/form factor would make it hard to use or get used to.

All right, I'm getting one when I get back . I will also look into the gooseneck. I haven't used any of the tanks yet, but I am always interested in new things .

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by vocr View Post
    Thanks guys! The main reason I find the Darwin so compelling is that its not a pipe bomb mod and I don't have to carry any of the crazy batteries or their chargers, but I was a little concerned that the shape/form factor would make it hard to use or get used to.

All right, I'm getting one when I get back . I will also look into the gooseneck. I haven't used any of the tanks yet, but I am always interested in new things .
    When you have it in your hands it all kind of makes sense. It doesn't really look like it would be comfortable to use if you're going by the pictures, but I'd be surprised if it didn't feel perfectly natural in your hands almost right away!
    wongster360 likes this.
    My signature is awesome!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

For other who might find this thread via search.

I've had a Darwin for almost two weeks now. Before that I used EGO 1000mah batteries for 6 months. I've dropped the Darwin several times even from my lifted jeep to the cement, I can't even find a scratch on it.

I was in the car today and had left the Darwin behind, since it was a quick trip I decide to use the backup EGO I keep in console. Wow the round battery felt so wierd and hard to hold. This was a complete suprise since I'd used this battery for 6 month and have had the Darwin for less than 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Filthy-Beast; 09-08-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelllin
    Chinner likes this.

Reo Woodvil, Woodvil 18490, LP Grand, SL Grand, Mini, RM 2 & 4, Pdib Sumpin, Nuppin, Chalice II & III, Cyclone, Divo, Apollo, ReadyxWick

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Ditto all that, had a darwin for a little over 2 weeks now and love the aesthetics of it and also I can flip the arm down and put it in a pocket without any worry like I did with the Ego.

Filthy-Beast...nice ride, I just traded in my TJ for a 09 Sahara Unlimited. Sucks to be starting from scratch again but there's better options now. Thinking 4" lift, 35's and somewhere down the road a Hemi conversion. Lots of playground here in CO.
    Vaping away the moments that make up the dull day...

I've been Jbox'd!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Seems like the Darwin folks also have good taste in trucks! I just picked up my second jeep, a lifter 2001 TJ sport!

Just like the Darwin, they may not be pretty but there's no vehicle I'd rather have!
    My signature is awesome!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

debook & Chinner,

Congrats on the new toys! I'm so jealous of you location. I've got to drive for hours to get to any kind of good wheeling. The Beast is an 06 LJ Rubicon running 35s on 3" of lift with MetalCloak fenders. Since only a little over 12k LJ Rubicons were made I'm keeping it. The JK done right is one sweet rig to drive.

Here's what it looks like now.

It was so nice to take the Darwin wheeling last weekend, just put in a pocket and go. It had always been a challenge with the Ego worrying about the multiple batteries, charges etc.

Reo Woodvil, Woodvil 18490, LP Grand, SL Grand, Mini, RM 2 & 4, Pdib Sumpin, Nuppin, Chalice II & III, Cyclone, Divo, Apollo, ReadyxWick

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by vocr View Post
    Just got my Darwin recently and still evaluating everything... also got a gooseneck for possible future tank use. I opted for the 4" version, which comes down to within 3/4" of the bottom of the Darwin with the arm in the Off position. If I had to do it over I think I'd get the 3" gooseneck. Being flexible either would work, but the 3" version should pocket better with a regular carto or atty/drip tip attached.

Don't know if that will help or hinder your decision, but good luck. Either way you'll enjoy the Darwin.

Too many blasted mods to list anymore, but proud of my Billet Box Standard & Woody
    Cigarettes Avoided: Thousands * $$ Saved: Not One Red Cent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast