I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor! - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor!

H3D
    Full Member ECF Veteran

A lot of the companies that make quit smoking aids will send you free samples if you request them. I got an entire pack of nicotine lozenges for free.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by momswann View Post
    I'm sorry you were treated poorly by your doc. However, PLEASE do not go to the ER for stop smoking aid, it taxes an already overburdened system and adds cost to our healthcare system. Find another doc if you are not happy. Don't go to the ER unless you have an emergency that requires immediate care. Our ERs are already burdened by the uninsured who use it as a primary care setting. It adds billions to our healthcare costs.

Thanks for listening.
    I agree. There's gotta be a free clinic in your area you could go to.

SNM
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ladysolitary85 View Post
    So here it is guys, I only have one pack of smokes (not stale this time, I figured my last pack should have a short but sweet parting and not end on a too bitter notice, sounds fair to me anyways) so anyways after this I'm done. I don't get paid til the 20th, so I can't go buy anymore. I wont have a choice, I might as well say my goodbyes to it.

I went to my doctor today talk to her originally for my bronchitis issue thats
    actually going away... then she tells me I have allergies.... ummmm no I don't, I KNOW what allergies feel like and this wasn't that I'm actually feeling better.

But the REAL reason why I went to see her was to ask her about quitting methods. I told her mine was the electric cigarette but I would like to explore other options as well.

She told me "Your insurance wouldn't cover it"

....EXCUSE ME???

Ok if a doctor can prescribe me Sudefed when I can easily get it over the counter... WHY can't they prescribe me patches or gum???? This really blows my mind. For a doctor to say "sorry but no, I can't help you"

At that point my mind was boiling. Every doctor I've ever known would always ask me "how much do you smoke?" and give me a huge 15 min lecture on how I need to quit. The one time that I reach out for help I get a "I'm sorry"???? I was so embarrassed I rushed out of there like a kid hearing the ice cream truck! It takes a lot for me to ask for help and to be rejected like that was not cool in my book.

I don't have money, as it is I'm the only one working and ALL of my cash has to go to bills and rent and nothing more.

Is there any program in California that gives you free patches or gums? I thought I heard something like that somewhere on the forum.

That is true. My insurance wouldent cover Chantex I dont think any of them do..

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SNM View Post
    Same here. My doc wanted me to use Chantix but my insurance didn't cover it either. Is that what the OP wants to use? Because if not, you can easily get nic gum/patches OTC.

My insurance covered Chantix - now granted I didn't get my usual $5 prescription, but I sure didn't pay full price for it. They also covered Wellbutrin and Nicotrol inhalers. Again with the inhalers, it wasn't a $5 script, but they did pay part.

Double check your benefits with your insurance. There's a phone number on your insurance card. See what they will cover. If they won't cover anything, then I agree, go with gum/patches/lozenges OTC.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by koala61 View Post
    They should cover Chantix, Zyban or Wellbutrin though.
    Most do not cover anything for smoking cessation, which is silly if they thought of their bottom line.

However, Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same thing. Most will not cover zyban, but if your doctor writes the wellbutrin prescription as an anti-depressant, they will.

GGTS/UFS, Helix, ProVari, Darwin, Zen Mini, Zen Standard, Sidewinder

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have loads of spare patches I don't need. I'm not sure if I could post a few to you, like if they will get thru customs being that they are meds? We get them free on the NHS over here.
    I have them as an emergency backup. If you want some, I can send some. PM me if you interested.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SNM View Post
    It must differ with diff insurance, my insurance wont cover the gum but will cover wellbutrin and chantix with a 20 co pay.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Also if you have ejuice, you can rub some on your skin to take up more nic, just don't over do it and that should boost you, for the times when you really need it.

Super Member ECF Veteran

It just blows my mind how a doctor can give you Sudefed and you can get it over the counter, but when it comes to quit smoking products I get a "no your insurance wont cover it" I know its not her fault, BUT at least refer me to a place that CAN help me.

I'm not thrilled, but I know its not unheard of.

I enjoy vaping but I can't afford to get the liquid with the stronger mg I need (16mg doesn't cut it for me) to cut the edge off. If I could I would of just done that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast