I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor!

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Scottbee View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that you are upset with your doctor. After all.. s/he doesn't decide what your insurance will cover.
    I understand that, I'm just mad that like a GOOD doctor would if they CARED about their patients, they would refer them to a place that could help them. Not just a "sorry I can't help you, see you later" How is that for caring? Seriously?

Ok so I have county insurance and being treated as an assembly line, its STILL wrong!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I agree with you ladysolitary85, it should not matter what insurance you have, but the truth is medicaid make DR's stay on the phone all the time. And wait to get paid over 2 years and even then, they only pay them a small part of what they are owed.

But that is not any reason to take it out on some one, if they are willing to take medicaid then they, should treat them like anyone else. People don't get how bad medicaid has become, most DR's only take a few people on medicaid, and some will not take it no matter what.

And people with medicaid are treated 2nd rate anymore, it's hard to blame DR's because of how medicaid plans treat them, and really how can anyone blame the DR's, it's gotten very bad with signs of only getting much worst, DR's turn people away with the medicaid card all the time anymore.
    Last edited by tims; 01-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Penner likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

10 years ago, when I was 16, my doctor offered to write me a prescription for some patches or other stop smoking aides. Now.. that WAS 10 years ago, so I don't know if this is still possible.. but I would've thought it'd be.

Most companies/doctors are happy to deal with Medicaid if thats what you have, because Medicaid pays quicker than other companies such as Empire, Aetna, etc.

Needless to say, I'd find yourself a different doctor. Maybe she can't really get anything for you.. but that's a terrible way to treat a patient. I don't care how smart they are or what board certifications they have.. I want good manners first. Hence, my doctor is an 87 year old guy who went to elementry school with my grandfather, whom is also his patient (of course). Well, he's also a great gastrointestinologist too. His office might seem old, and the equipment a bit archaic looking.. but he knows his stuff, and really cares!

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

What your insurance covers has NOTHING to do with what a doctor can prescribe. She may give you advice on what she believes to be the best course of action if you request a cheap/affordable alternative, but her first suggestion should always be with your health in mind.

I'd find another doctor, clearly the bureaucracy has gotten to her.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    10 years ago, when I was 16, my doctor offered to write me a prescription for some patches or other stop smoking aides. Now.. that WAS 10 years ago, so I don't know if this is still possible.. but I would've thought it'd be.

Most companies/doctors are happy to deal with Medicaid if thats what you have, because Medicaid pays quicker than other companies such as Empire, Aetna, etc.

Needless to say, I'd find yourself a different doctor. Maybe she can't really get anything for you.. but that's a terrible way to treat a patient. I don't care how smart they are or what board certifications they have.. I want good manners first. Hence, my doctor is an 87 year old guy who went to elementry school with my grandfather, whom is also his patient (of course). Well, he's also a great gastrointestinologist too. His office might seem old, and the equipment a bit archaic looking.. but he knows his stuff, and really cares!
    Exactly, I really wish there were more caring doctors out there. It just upsets me that mine is more concern that my insurance (lower the medicaid but kinda the same deal) then being concern about my health. Not only that but she really had no freakin clue about my health and quickly dismissed bronchitis and assumed I had allergies... well I'm not coughing anymore( or barely at the time) and my voice is almost completely back. Next time I walk in there and go see her and if they ask me one thing about my smoking habit I'll just tell them, "No I don't smoke, I'm using my electric cigarette and that's given me more help then you have."

Well I prolly wont be THAT mean and say that, but thats definitely what I'd like to say.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I live in rural Louisiana so we have a lot of Medicaid recipients. We have a rural health clinic and hospital. They accept Medicaid and they don't pay that good but neither does Medicare and even private insurances . Most doctors don't even look at what your payment source is. They let their iinsurance and collections department handle this. The doctors that do look at your payment source is in it more for the money than care.

Medicare drug benefits does not usually cover Chantix but my doctor called and got it approved. Of course it didn't work. I think at one time the patch was by prescription only.

Yuo can go to Nicoderm CQ website and they have a free sample plus $7 coupon. Also if you quit smoking you should be able to afford the patch. Cigarrest has a free 90 days supply. They usually cost $5 for 13 days supply and $15 for a 40 day supply.

These are relatively cheap plus you an get some free. If you can stop smoking using these you would save quit a bit of money.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by martha1014; 01-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Moved On ECF Veteran

Also someone in another part of the forum found a free trial for snus...

Free snus samples

i would say order that to help you get through...unfortunately who knows how long it will take to get it.

On another note...don't stress yourself out...it will make you want to smoke more...

Maureen

Account closed on request ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

If you"ll contact me via PM I'll be glad to send you some 24mg juice. Maybe it can help get you through what you're going through until you can get the help you're looking for.

Full Member ECF Veteran

The patches, lozenges, and gum used to be prescription only. When they became over the counter items, the prices did go down, and many insurance providers still allowed prescriptions for a year or so after they went public, then they justified not covering it because the cost of the patches was comparable to the cost of cigarettes for the same time frame as the cessation treatments. Welbutrin, is prescribed instead of brand Zyban, because generic is cheaper than brand and all the advertising that is included. Chantix, has a warning label on it, the side effects are harsher than Welbutrin.
    As for your doctor, I would change her out. This one is burned out and not taking the time to listen to you, or look over your chart properly. Every doctor wants their patients to recognize the ill effects smoking causes to the body. If this doctor just says, that your insurance won't cover smoking cessation and doesn't ask more questions as to what you have tried, or willing to try she is a weak ineffectual doctor. If anything she should have given you a pamphlet for CA govt funded cessation programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottbee View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that you are upset with your doctor. After all.. s/he doesn't decide what your insurance will cover.
    seriously... grow up!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast