Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: E-Liquid Nicotine Amounts

Cool E-Liquid Nicotine Amounts

In 2010 Mrj7j posted a helpful bit of info on nicotine levels in tobacco versus e-liquids, however, he made some mistakes and there's more to add to complete the picture.

( Mrj7j post ; Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes... Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes )

Most canadian KingSize cigarettes have 1 gm of tobacco. Most contain 1.6 to 3.6 milligrams total nicotine . There's about 20 drops of e-liquid per ml, and about 4-5 puffs/drop. At e-liquid of 16mg/ml, 1 drop is about .8mg total nicotine. (16 ÷ 20). 1 tobacco cig is about 8-10 puffs, and 1 drop of e-liquid is about 4-5 puffs, so 2 drops = 1 tobacco cig. As 1 drop = 0.8-1.8 mg total nicotine, 2 drops = 1.6-3.6 mg total nicotine. These amounts fairly compare with the 1.6 to 3.6 mg/gm/cig total nicotine in tobacco cigs.

However, total nicotine is not absorbed nicotine. No clinical studies which have measured absorbed nicotine in e-liquids, but tobacco tests estimate about 80% is absorbed.

In tobacco smoking, much of the total nicotine present in 1 cig is not inhaled as it burns out into the air and in the ashtray, and the last 1/2-3/5 " or so of the cig is disguarded. I estimate a cig with 2.4mg/gm of total nicotine content has only about 60% of it's tobacco actually use-inhaled, so 60% x 80% is about 48% (50%) absorbed nicotine, or 1.2mg/cig smoked.

E-liquid amounts absorbed can only be guessed at, though almost none is lost in holding and ashtray burning as with tobacco, although some amount is lost inside the atty's container and mouthpiece/cartridge polyfibre. ( provided you haven't de-bridged your atty )

Hope this helps....

2. Advertisement

You can't compare how nicotine is absorbed in smoking vs vaping. Vaping is less efficient in getting nicotine into your system. That's why comparing what cigarette is smoked and it's nicotine content to what eliquid to use doesn't work.
    Retriever and dearme like this.

Quote Originally Posted by COPDer View Post
    In 2010 Mrj7j posted a helpful bit of info on nicotine levels in tobacco versus e-liquids, however, he made some mistakes and there's more to add to complete the picture.

( Mrj7j post ; Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes... Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes )

Most canadian KingSize cigarettes have 1 gm of tobacco. Most contain 1.6 to 3.6 milligrams total nicotine . There's about 20 drops of e-liquid per ml, and about 4-5 puffs/drop. At e-liquid of 16mg/ml, 1 drop is about .8mg total nicotine. (16 ÷ 20). 1 tobacco cig is about 8-10 puffs, and 1 drop of e-liquid is about 4-5 puffs, so 2 drops = 1 tobacco cig. As 1 drop = 0.8-1.8 mg total nicotine, 2 drops = 1.6-3.6 mg total nicotine. These amounts fairly compare with the 1.6 to 3.6 mg/gm/cig total nicotine in tobacco cigs.

However, total nicotine is not absorbed nicotine. No clinical studies which have measured absorbed nicotine in e-liquids, but tobacco tests estimate about 80% is absorbed.

In tobacco smoking, much of the total nicotine present in 1 cig is not inhaled as it burns out into the air and in the ashtray, and the last 1/2-3/5 " or so of the cig is disguarded. I estimate a cig with 2.4mg/gm of total nicotine content has only about 60% of it's tobacco actually use-inhaled, so 60% x 80% is about 48% (50%) absorbed nicotine, or 1.2mg/cig smoked.

E-liquid amounts absorbed can only be guessed at, though almost none is lost in holding and ashtray burning as with tobacco, although some amount is lost inside the atty's container and mouthpiece/cartridge polyfibre. ( provided you haven't de-bridged your atty )

Hope this helps....
    Where did you get the percentages for the absorbed nicotine?

Account closed on request

As you stated in your post, no clinical studies have been done yet on eliquid absorption rates, so I don't think we can correlate it to tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    You can't compare how nicotine is absorbed in smoking vs vaping. Vaping is less efficient in getting nicotine into your system. That's why comparing what cigarette is smoked and it's nicotine content to what eliquid to use doesn't work.
    wv2win :

Can you please give me the science research study summary or/and URL which evidences your comment. (soto prove your comment is infact actual responsible and reliable knowledge, not merely opinion, whether your own or some other sources you've simply accepted.)

I have yet to find any accoutable, responsible ( genuine ) clinical research dealing with the lung's responses to the ingredients in e-liquid, not to mention the efficacy of the lung's receptors and aveoli processes concerning e-liquid nicotine.
    Last edited by COPDer; 01-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I just vape until I don't want to vape anymore.
    madjack, boog, dearme and 2 others like this.

.................................................. .................And I haven't saved a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamonsterZ24 View Post
    Where did you get the percentages for the absorbed nicotine?
    Doe ! Mrj7j post

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by COPDer View Post
    wv2win :

Can you please give me the science research study summary or/and URL which evidences your comment. (soto prove your comment is infact actual responsible and reliable knowledge, not merely opinion, whether your own or some other sources you've simply accepted.)

I have yet to find any accoutable, responsible ( genuine ) clinical research dealing with the lung's responses to the ingredients in e-liquid, not to mention the efficacy of the lung's processes concerning e-liquid nicotine.
    You'll find all the studies (limited) done with links to the studies on the CASAA website. Click on the link in wv2win's signature and it'll take you to the site.

here
    CASAA.org
    wv2win likes this.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Here are some current and recently completed clinical trials conducted regarding electronic cigarettes. It will be interesting to see what some of the results are going to be when data analyses are complete and reported to the public.

Search of: electronic cigarette - List Results - ClinicalTrials.gov

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

And here's a link to a research study reported last year, indicating that approximately ZERO nicotine is delivered with PVs.

Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver - CNN

I highly doubt that it true, but at the temperature atomizers vaporize at, I do know that nicotine (at least some) is virtually destroyed during the process. At least that I have read in several places.

Carbon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast