Nicotine Myth Busted - Nicotine does not cause adiction IMO - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: Nicotine Myth Busted - Nicotine does not cause adiction IMO

Full Member ECF Veteran

Hi there,
    I agree with the OP inasmuch as Nicotine gets the blame for everything bad about Cigarettes...Its not the Nicotine that makes for the Yellow fingers, stained walls, stinky smell, its the smoke, and people who for years cook in smokey huts and kitchens
    tend to get lung problems. I do think Nic is addictive, but I suspect the whole leaf we smoke in Cigs is more addictive than the extract in our Vaporisers.
    Actually all the Nightshades contain Alkaloids, Tobacco leaf being the highest, then Eggplant, Tomato ect, in lesser amounts than Tobacco. Nicotine apparently stimulates the receptors in the Brain, and gives a temporary surge of energy, but eventually with years of use overstimulates and the user ends up with jangled nerves,

This article does a good job of explaining it all-( Cortez did the World no favours when he introduced these plants, lol )
    Nightshade Foods « OrganicFoodee.com

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Great article, thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my phone; Please excuse typos / autocorrections.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

I had once written a long message about this but then deleted it as it had gotten a very long and complex.

I think blaming it all on nicotine is the easy way out. I am not directly questioning if it is addictive or not, rather I am questioning the research that has been done or at least the explanations that have been given. I feel the research is "skirting" many issues and that they never got to the absolute bottom of it. I have a gnawing feeling that this was done to simply control it, tax it and then let it be. We were happy puffing away on cigarettes, BT was making huge bucks and GOVT was doing the same.

The first, and most obvious, point I would make is that if it was only the nicotine we would have all quit with the patch. Since nicotine is so addictive, why would administering "more of the same" help to reduce the addiction? We could just smoke less and taper off that way, right?

Many people quit smoking for extended periods but then return to it? Why is this? Is there some type of memory effect with the addiction or is it triggered by a psychological response? It is generally accepted that nicotine leaves the body rather quickly.

How is it that so many women are able to quit immediately when they discover they are pregnant? Does the addiction go away magically?

A business associate recently quit smoking for the third time. He wanted to be chemical free as he and wife have decided to have another child. How is it he can quit for 2-3 months at a time whenever they plan to have a child but otherwise cannot quit? He too, has tried almost every method known to man.

Just yesterday I was speaking with a gentleman who was interested in my box mod because his brother is a very heavy smoker. During the course of the conversation, he told me he quit a 2 pack a day habit of many years cold turkey. This was because his young daughter came home crying from school after being told how bad smoking is and begged him not to die. Again, did the chemical addiction magically disappear?

Why is it that some are more addicted than others? Assuming two people smoke the same exact brand, is it not interesting to know why someone smokes 3 packs and the other 1/2 a pack?

Why is it that, generally speaking, it is the poorer, less educated that smoke? Does self-esteem play a role? I am asking because I fail to see how having a large bank account can directly change a chemical reaction. Nicotine, either bonds to receptors or it doesn't.

I am not turning this into some conspiracy theory but if I was in control of all the funds collected, these are the things I would have been looking at closely and would have made the findings readily available. If I can ask these questions, I am certain there are many scientists can ask 100x better. It just seems this issue is about 10 levels deep and "solutions" are being offered one level at a time. I don't appreciate being viewed as a business model.

My 2 cents.

P.S. I am certain that some here have more knowledge and insight than I as it relates to answering some of these questions. I am addressing it in its totality and not specifically. For example, a doctor on TV will say nicotine is addictive and smoking is bad. That's usually about it. He/she will rarely (if ever) say that 70% (wild guess) of women quit smoking when pregnant and provide reasons for that beyond the obvious.
    sherid, Stosh and LaraC like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Some people stick to their motivation stronger than others... People are made differently with different social experience. I don't think the addiction magically goes away, I just think putting a child at risk of health problems overrides the need for a cigarette.

Asking why some people are more addicted than others while smoking the same number and type of cigarettes, is like asking why someone skinny who eats exactly the same as another person who looks the same way as someone who is thicker. We don't digest the same regardless of our similar likes and dislikes... Addictions and motivations. Some people are just made to be addicted to things and others aren't. I, myself, have an addictive personality. Once addicted to smoking, now vaping... And video games! Haha!
    frankie1, kwalka and LaraC like this.

ECF Veteran

Oh, and drinking! When is someone going to come up with an electronic drink? LoL!
    AngelVapor and Leal like this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by LuV2SkRaTcH View Post
    Some people are just made to be addicted to things and others aren't.
    Right, but this we already know. My entire message revolves around finding out the root cause. Finding out why this difference in the levels of addiction occurs and why certain factors seem to "override' the addiction would seem like a logical step in the "battle" against a lot of addictions, including smoking.

Instead we have gotten "Here, stick a patch on your arm."
    LaraC likes this.

ECF Veteran

If I was a girl, and had trouble quitting, maybe it would be a good idea to be pregnant... All the time! LoL! J/k

ECF Veteran

So who are we going to believe, the one scientists hypothesis or about 30 years of scientific studies that have been peer reviewed?????
    Smoke Free Since September 9, 2009

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDruid View Post
    So who are we going to believe, the one scientists hypothesis or about 30 years of scientific studies that have been peer reviewed?????
    Good question, but when you follow the money trail, you will find that a majority of the "peer-reviewed" studies link back to the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation and Johnson and Johnson or that the "scientists" are heavily divested with drug company grant money. Drug companies have a huge profit interest in smoking cessation products. If these groups were so consumed with an actual interest in the health of smokers, we would not still have Chantix on the market, and we would see products with high rates of success rather than the 4% success rate of products promoted by the medical world and by the FDA.
    Chantix Spoof - YouTube
    StormFinch and Chookychuck like this.
    "Deja Moo : The feeling you’ve heard this bull before !"

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

The following was posted by Rolygate on 6/10/12, the rest of the link is here :
    We have also just heard that someone in the pharmaceutical industry has offered a six-figure sum for any researchers who can come up with reasons why ecigs could be banned: such as design faults, lead in solder, asbestos in wicks, or contaminants in e-liquid. These issues could then be magnified out of all proportion (like the FDA press release) to create a fabricated laundry list of 'dangerous faults' that would provide a basis for an international call to ban ecigs.
    Chookychuck and Steep like this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast