American Lung Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: American Lung Association

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default American Lung Association

The Associated Content website wrote an article American Lung Association Supports Food and Drug Administration Finding that E-Cigarettes are Harmful and Contain Carcinogens - American Lung Association

The article basically states that the ALA is lobbying to have electronic cigarettes banned. After some pointless correspondence with their helpline, I called and asked who is the best person to email regarding their policies. I was told Erica Sward [email protected] is the person to talk to/email.

I know the ALA is one of many organizations that are against ecigs, but it doesn't hurt to contact them all.

Here's their response to my first email:
    No one knows what consumers are actually inhaling by using e-cigarettes, other than the companies themselves. There is no evidence that they are safer than cigarettes. The American Lung Association is very concerned the manufacturers of these products are making unverified health claims. It would be tragic for a smoker to think they are doing the right thing by switching to these products rather than quitting.

The FDA has asserted authority over e-cigarettes, calling them a drug-delivery device. The American Lung Association believes that any decision regarding e-cigarettes be based on actual scientific evidence and data. Only the Food and Drug Administration has the ability to make this determination. The American Lung Association strongly agrees with the FDA that these products are drug-delivery devices and as such, should not be sold until the FDA has determined their safety and efficacy. Information about e-cigarettes can be found on the FDA website -
    FDA and health experts warn against use of e-cigarettes - CNN.com
    Obviously, this is ridiculous. Please, please, please if you guys have a few minutes, email Erica Sward at [email protected] and tell her, IN A NICE WAY, why the ALA shouldn't lobby to have ecigs banned, how they've helped you and that ecigs are hands down safer than analogs.

You might want to add in your email that On Wednesday, April 14th, 2010, Kathy Drea, the paid lobbyist for the American Lung Association, stood up and lied to the Human Services Committe of the Illinios House of Representatives. Her lies were refuted with written information from Illinois vapers.

Keep on vaping!
    Digital Doctor likes this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is any nice way to say to her "mind your own business and get out of my life". I am that much angry at those "busybodies".

Sorry for the rant.
    DON'T go back to smoking, no matter what the FDA does.
    Going back to smoking will be a huge loss for you, in more ways than one.

ECF Veteran

Haha, I know it's hard. That's why I stressed in a nice way.

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by autumnbreeze View Post
    It would be tragic for a smoker to think they are doing the right thing by switching to these products rather than quitting.
    Here is where they are right - but misguided.

They think that the majority of people who use ecigs are using them to quit or in lieu of quitting. According to a source at the ALA, the only calls they get to their hotline about ecigs are about using them to quit. they don't get that 80% of the people using ecigs have no intention of quitting nicotine. We wanted to quit tobacco, not nicotine. We would still be happily smoking and killing ourselves without ecigs!

Did you see my article about the ALA? Maybe email the link to her! American Lung Association Vs. Electronic Cigarettes - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

ECF Veteran

Kristin, I did see your article, which was what prompted all of this. (I'm April, btw)

And you're absolutely right that they're misguided. I liked smoking cigarettes because of the nicotine. I just didn't like all of the nasty stuff that came with it.
    Last edited by autumnbreeze; 04-16-2010 at 08:51 PM.

ECF Veteran

Also tell her that the FDA testing has already determined that, other than one anomaly, ecigs are no more harmful that the nicotine patch and that a federal judge has ruled that ecigs are NOT a drug delivery device and the FDA cannot regulate them as such. Just because there is a stay by the appeals court on the FDA's ability to stop shipments from Smoking Everywhere and Njoy doesn't change Judge Leon's ruling!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by autumnbreeze View Post
    Kristin, I did see your article, which was a great find and prompted all of this. (I'm April, btw)

And you're absolutely right that they're misguided. I liked smoking cigarettes because of the nicotine. I just didn't like all of the nasty stuff that came with it.
    April??? What are you doing in Autumn?? LOL! Sorry, didn't know that was you!

ECF Veteran

I signed up on here before any other site. I decided to just go by my name on the other site.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Looking around the ALA's website (lungusa.org) and doing some other searching was rather revealing. I was looking for any indication of the Association's stance on medical [that stuff] I figured I would get all kinds of results. Although I found a small handful of acknowledgements of respiratory harm potential of that substance in general, I saw no mention of an ALA position for or against its medicinal use.

This tells me that the American Lung Association knows that staying out of an issue is an option. I can only guess why they've picked that one to ignore and this one to pursue (wrong-headedly). Could it be that they fear alienating their funding base by coming out against medical [that stuff]?
    Dave L likes this.

By the way, you don't have to use the word "analogs."

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRM View Post
    I don't think there is any nice way to say to her "mind your own business and get out of my life". I am that much angry at those "busybodies".
    Government thinks they own us, much as a dairy farmer owns a herd of milk cows. It won't be too long before they forbid activities like hang gliding and mountain climbing, "for our own good."
    Vap0rJay and Dave L like this.
    "Is freedom anything else than the right to live as we wish? Nothing else." --Epictetus

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast