Yes I still Smoke Cigarettes and I am addicted to the smoking habit - support and chat thread. - Page 3
Page 3 of 2340 FirstFirst 123456713531035031003 ... LastLast
Like Tree154720Likes

Thread: Yes I still Smoke Cigarettes and I am addicted to the smoking habit - support and chat thread.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by skydragon View Post
    I know what you mean. I still have cigs around but I don't freak out if I have less than half a pack and I now have been known to leave the house with only a few. It's funny what a big step that is. It used to be like leaving the house not completely dressed. Not that I have done that mind you. lol
    I remember leaving the house without a pack; it was wonderful. I only carry cigs around with me if I am going to be out when one of my craving times is going to occur. I have a messed up schedule, but my crave times are like meals. One in the morning, sometimes one in the afternoon, and one in the evening. I usually save them for after meals, but not always. Oh, and if I am going out drinking. I got past smoking and drinking, but I do enjoy a cig after I leave the bar.

Oh, and not that it deals with taking them with me usually, but I always make sure I have a few around for post 'relations' time with the wife. I may never give that one up!

Salky

Sorry, clicking the banner will do nothing, per ECF rules!

When I started vaping I had no intention to give up smoking so I decided that I would continue to smoke and vape. I went down to 3 cigarettes a day right away, and then down to one a day after a week and a half. At that point I woke up and realized I hadn't lit up at all the day before, so right away I went to my cigarettes and lit one up. The taste was awful I just put it out and threw it away. I haven't felt the need to smoke since then and that was a year ago.

Throughout this time I've been checking this forum to learn about batteries, delivery systems, etc. I indubitably came across posts where someone was feeling guilty for not being able to give up cigarettes while vaping. I would read the subsequent posts from other members in which the OP was "encouraged" to NOT give in to cigarettes and I always felt uncomfortable for the OP as they were being encouraged to go cold turkey as it were. I posted my experience of just easing into vaping as that is what worked for me, but now I'm to the point where I've given up trying to call attention to the erroneous mindset of "all or nothing at all." It doesn't work, it didn't work before ecigs, so why would it work now?

Then recently I've noticed a new slant on the issue from some postings stating that "we're still smoking even though we vape." Wow, some people are just masochists. I'm to the point that I'm seriously considering not hanging out on the forum any more. I'm tired of the "moral judgments" made of whether we're smokers or not among other subjects. I personally don't care just like I didn't care when I smoked. Many of the arguments are very similar to the arguments the ANTZ make.

Just ease into vaping and give yourself permission to smoke. Remember it's a Tobacco Harm Reduction system, not a stop smoking method. This means that you should be counting the ones you don't smoke and celebrate and pat yourself in the back for the achievement. After all, do we really need someone else's permission to be proud of ourselves?

You're still a human being with the freedom to enjoy your individual freedom to choose what works best for you. I sincerely wish everyone the best, whatever that is, as long as it's your decision and no one else's.

Full Member Verified Member

I wouldnt put too much stress on quitting completely. If quitting is your goal, then cutting back the amount of cigs you have a day is a big step. If you havent been able to cut back yet, then just take it one stick at a time. If you're not interested in quitting at all, nothing wrong with that either and smoke away. Either way, there is nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of us here smoked at least a pack a day and found it hard to even cut back, let alone quit using any other method, and I've tried them all. And some people treat vaping like a hobby and have no interest in quitting or even cutting back. So to all the haters, tell them to step off, you know all the dangers, and you'll stop when your ready. And to all that have quit completely, congrats and good for you.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

FWIW, I strongly suspect ECF members are not representative of the entire population that uses e-cigarettes in any regular manner. Joining a forum and posting to it probably represents a higher degree of "into it" than average. And if the habits of the larger vaping community could be surveyed, I think the "I vape but I sometimes smoke" (or vice versa) contingency would be a lot higher than it is here. So if that makes any still-smoking posters here feel a little less like outliers, good!

As I've often posted in other threads on this basic topic (so, feel free to yawn...), I'm a 3+ year vaper who still smokes, has never really tried to quit (except for one 2-3 month stint pre and post surgery some years before I started vaping). And I don't really intend on giving up the four cigarettes (I don't call them "analogs," much less "stinkies") I smoke every day: two in the early morning and two in the late evening. My main rationale is that I still enjoy pretty much everything about smoking. Additionally, I think that if I were to shift further into a totally cigarette-less all-vaping routine, the consequences of a backslide might be my going back to full-time smoking and not vaping. As is, I've had very few lapses from my four-a-day routine: maybe an occasional fifth cigarette, and one time a few months ago when I was home ill (but not too ill to need nicotine) and bored for several days when I just felt like smoking more, and did (like 8-10: wow!). All and all, I strongly believe that the health impact of these few cigarettes is minimal, especially compared to the 40+ years of 1 to 1.5 packs a day I enjoyed pre-vaping.

So, if your quit doesn't turn out to be 100%, don't sweat it: you're not alone, and you're still probably helping yourself a lot. If you do quit entirely, congratulations! (But please don't take on the anti-smoking lingo that some on this forum seem to...)
    Last edited by PaulB; 04-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.

By the way, you don't have to use the word "analogs."

duct tape guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

my mother used to smoke 3 packs a day, she quit cold turkey probably close to 20 years ago now, she's always had the mindset that she hated it when people got uppity with her about smoking. Her rules are she allows her family to still smoke in the house even though she quit because she doesn't want to be one of those people that stops and goes all anti cigarette's. Personally i prefer to go outside still but i still don't understand how some people struggle with an addiction for so long and when they do stop they treat people who are going through the same thing as them like they're beneath them. I know i'll never be that person that harps on people for smoking if i ever do manage to stop.

One would think having gone through it themselves they would understand more.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
    my mother used to smoke 3 packs a day, she quit cold turkey probably close to 20 years ago now, she's always had the mindset that she hated it when people got uppity with her about smoking. Her rules are she allows her family to still smoke in the house even though she quit because she doesn't want to be one of those people that stops and goes all anti cigarette's. Personally i prefer to go outside still but i still don't understand how some people struggle with an addiction for so long and when they do stop they treat people who are going through the same thing as them like they're beneath them. I know i'll never be that person that harps on people for smoking if i ever do manage to stop.

One would think having gone through it themselves they would understand more.
    I totally agree, Andrew. How can a person be subjected to the anti smoking attitudes and hatefulness of years and years and then turn into one of those that do it. Strangeness abounds..

morri

Grand Matriarch
    Order of The White Rabbit
    ~~~Laugh As Much As You Breathe~~~
    Last TC 06/27/13

PIF moderator / owner Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

So is anyone else a stress smoker? I was on a job all morning and I was fine vaping. Once I got aggravated I had to light up.

This signature has been deleted by Loxmythe Reason: He's just mean

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by loxmythe View Post
    So is anyone else a stress smoker? I was on a job all morning and I was fine vaping. Once I got aggravated I had to light up.
    I definitely am. And then that aggravates me. lol

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by morri View Post
    I totally agree, Andrew. How can a person be subjected to the anti smoking attitudes and hatefulness of years and years and then turn into one of those that do it. Strangeness abounds..

morri
    And yet they are some of the worst. The reformers.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by loxmythe View Post
    I'll be honest and tell you that unfortunately, these last 3 or 4 days I have smoked more than I vaped. Going through some extremely stressful things with my 6 year old who is in kindergarten. So yes, I most definitely am a stress smoker...not proud of it but it does make me feel grounded and less stressed temporarily.