I started vaping, because... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Why did you start vaping?

Voters
781. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm addicted to nicotine (cigarettes).

494 63.25%
  • I'm addicted to nicotine (chewing tobacco).

14 1.79%
  • I'm addicted to nicotine (other).

22 2.82%
  • Can't quit smoking because of "hand-to-mouth"

291 37.26%
  • Self-medicating (nervous or other disorder)

99 12.68%
  • Because I can do it where I can't smoke.

107 13.70%
  • Because of the flavors, and/or because it is "cool".

88 11.27%
  • Other - please explain.

119 15.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: I started vaping, because...

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I started vaping because otherwise I couldn't vote in polls like this.
    BenJammin, jlarsen and JuiceJunkie like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I started vaping to self medicate for chemical depression and attention problems. As it turns out, the nicotine helps a lot of problems I have, from seizures to pre-diabetes to chronic pain. It even prevents things that run rampant in my family, like alzheimer's and breast cancer.

The huge variety of flavors doesn't hurt, either. But I would say my primary reason is that I vape to be healthier than I was without nicotine. I vape so I can enjoy life more.
    toto1013 and popealicious like this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I like shiny new gadgets, a lot. And the carnival of flavors does enhance the whole experience. I never really intended to quit cigarettes altogether. E-cigs were just supposed to be a substitute for when the "real thing" was inconvenient. I just wanted to have my family and my cigarettes too. Spend time with them, instead of with the ashtray out on the porch. However; after frequent vaping, I found I didn't want the "real thing" as much anymore. Once I could breathe and taste again, I really didn't want analogs anymore. I now enjoy it more than I ever did smoking. I am without a doubt far healthier than I was before vaping. I no longer stink of burning weeds. All these things are great, but the primary thing that keeps me vaping is the ability to indulge my nicotine addiction without killing my loved ones around me. They shouldn't have to pay with their lives for my drug of choice. I'm not saying I've never slipped, I have. But I am saying that every time I get frustrated with some equipment malfunction, or the latest FDA BS, crisis de jour, etc. it helps me to remember that my life is not the only one on the line. It's that realization that has always brought me back whenever I have strayed.
    I started vaping because it was a cool new toy that let me smoke in places I couldn't (or shouldn't) smoke.
    I continue vaping because not only are there lives riding on it, those lives are far more enjoyable because of it.

I started vaping so I could 'smoke' in hotels and rental cars. A week later, I couldn't stand to finish my pack of cigarettes and 'accidentally' quit smoking.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flbutterfly1 View Post
    breathing reasons
    A big ol' Classic AOL-style ME TOO!

During my most recent cold, I couldn't help noticing that my air intake process is no longer able to withstand being double-teamed by stopped-up nostrils and coughing fits.

There are so many people - doctors, all the people at my fabulous neighborhood pharmacy, family, and most of all Mr-lol- - working so hard to "keep me comfortable."

It is my hope that ceasing the continuous inhalation of Marlboro Reds will help me help them achieve that goal, even when Rhinovirii attack.
    toto1013 and 36tinybells like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran redheadone's Avatar

I started vaping because I had tried everything else to quit. Gum, inhaler, patches, medicine (not chantix) even hypnosis. Npthing worked. I was up to three packs a day and I knew if I didn't do something analogs were going to kill me so I ordered an pv and gave it a try. No turning back. Vaping is the greatest thing I have ever done to finally get off those darn analogs

NCC
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Dropping the cigarettes after 35 years was unplanned and a complete surprise. I like gadgets and bought my first PVs out of curiosity after a co-worker received an NJoy as a Christmas present in 2009. I essentially quit smoking the day my first unit was delivered, and with so little effort it was stunning to me!

So, to answer the poll's heading, "Why did you Start Vaping?" ... I'd have to say it was accidental. I have kept vaping for 16 months now for a multitude of reasons. Not the least of which is that after a short period of time I could detect positive, healthy changes in my body ... little things like breathing are kinda important to me. Then, there's the fact that my bucket list has some cool things on it which I feel have a better chance of being realized by not smoking cigarettes.

I answered "Other" in the poll.
    36tinybells likes this.

Blog Entries

Other :

Because I use it as an alternative to tobacco and for better health.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

My momma wanted me to switch to E-Cigarette for health reasons, and I love my momma so I gave it a shot. I liked it for the taste, and fell in love with it for the freedom! I'll happily Vape in front of just about anyone, anywhere - no guild, no smell, no incessant complaining from those around me - it's great!

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I only smoked on average around 3 to 10 cigarettes per day.
    But I did that for 27 years.

I smoked for the following reasons...

-Taking breaks from work
    -Taking breaks from social situations I found uncomfortable
    -Taking breaks from domestic squabbles
    -Taking breaks before doing things I didn't want to do
    -Taking breaks after doing things I didn't want to do
    -Taking breaks to be alone with my thoughts and think things through

I started vaping because if I didn't start vaping I would have smoked for the rest of my life.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast