View Poll Results: How easy was it to quit smoking by switching?

Voters
410. You may not vote on this poll
  • Switched by accident, wasn't even trying.

137 33.41%
  • Took a little effort, but I did switch.

238 58.05%
  • Took a lot of effort, but I did switch.

23 5.61%
  • I have not switched altogether, but I'm working on it.

11 2.68%
  • I have no intention of ever giving up smoking.

1 0.24%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How Easy Was Switching to a Tobacco Alternative??

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default How Easy Was Switching to a Tobacco Alternative??

Every approved "smoking cessation" treatment product/method requires you to give up nicotine. We all know how difficult that can be. How easy did you find it to stop inhaling smoke when you took up use of e-cigarettes or another smoke-free alternative (e.g. snus, dissolvables.)

Someone has pointed out that there is no category for
    "quit on purpose with no effort"

Work around: If you wanted to quit and just switched with no problem, select the second option. Think of going out and buying the equipment and charging up the battery as your "very little effort."
    Last edited by rolygate; 03-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Cyatis and LeDean like this.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

2. Advertisement
    Full Member ECF Veteran

I had planned on slowly phasing out cigarettes and switching to an e-cig but when I recived my e-cig in the mail it was so easy to not smoke I still have the same 6 cigarettes left in the pack that I had 5 weeks ago. My last cigarette was when the mail man was bringing my e-cig to the door. at first there was some craving usually at night but I just used the e-cig and was able to concur my addiction to cigarettes and after 4 weeks I steped the nicotine level down from 18mg to 12mg and I feel after another week or 2 I will be ready to reduce it to 6mg. I probably could have started at 24mg nic level and wouldn't have had as bad of cravings at night. I smoked for 17-20 years 1-1.5 packs a day
    Dagar likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran arcturus's Avatar

No difficulty whatsoever. I also left my last unfinished pack on the table and it sat there for two weeks and went stale. I threw away all my remaining cigarette packs. It is still bizarre to consider how well vaping emulates the traditional smoking experience. I smoked 1 PAD for almost thirty years. I feel confident enough to say that I will never smoke again.
    Dagar likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The day I got my first ecig, I was determined to finish my last pack of smokes (because I'm cheap.) I took both to poker league and alternated throughout the evening. By the end of the night, I was dreading the cigarettes and only wanted to vape. I've never been so happy and relieved to finish a pack of smokes.

Granted, I ended up going back to smoking 2 weeks later for about a month after my kit died and I was waiting on a new kit, but once that showed up, I was done for good. Almost 3 years smoke free now.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Randyrtx's Avatar

Even my first over-priced, inferior mall e-cig kit showed me the potential that it had for replacing smoking. The only difficulty I had was in finding the right hardware and a liquid strength that would work for me (it was initially way too strong).

I had completely stopped smoking within 2 months and haven't looked back!
    BenJammin and DC2 like this.

I think the category "no effort and quit" for those of us that did not quit accidentally.
    Randyrtx likes this.

Ooops, I meant to write that the category is missing.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yikes: There is no way to edit the poll, only my OP. Suggestion (I will put this into edited OP as well). If you wanted to quit and just switched with no problem, select the second option. Think of going out and buying the equipment and charging up the battery as your "very little effort."

----

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

In case you are wondering why I created the poll, I found a post on a tobacco control discussion forum from a Professor in Australia:

I am looking for survey questions about how former smokers experienced the ease or difficulty of quitting. Something like this:

Q: Looking back on you finally quit smoking, would you describe what you went through as:

• Much harder than expected

• As hard as you expected

• Easier than you expected

• Much easier than you expected
    So I thought I would create this poll and then share the results with him once we have a significant number of responses to the poll.

It would be interesting to compare our responses with the responses he gets from people who used other methods to quit.
    BenJammin, CJsKee, DC2 and 2 others like this.

----

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

And for those who are interested in my response, I tried going with "no effort at all" but kept smoking more than I was vaping. Finally I decided that what I needed to do was clear the smoke out of my system and start from there. I was going to have a molar extracted and was told not to smoke for at least 48 hours after the surgery. I scheduled the procedure for a Friday so that I would not have to struggle thorough trying to drive (I'm a menace w/o nicotine) and trying to do decent work. My husband drove me to the oral surgeon's office and back.

I pretty much slept most of the next two days, even though I never filled the Rx I was given for Vicodin.

On that Sunday, I started vaping INSTEAD OF smoking and have 19 packs of extremely stale cigarettes to show for it. I'm keeping them around for the day that the FDA Center for Tobacco Products finally decides to meet with me, and I will take them in as a visual aid.
    BenJammin, DC2, kingcobra and 3 others like this.

----

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast