Do you vape around your kids? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you vape around your kids?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I have no problem vaping around my kids.

112 59.57%
  • Yes. But I'm concerned about their health / letting them see me vape.

7 3.72%
  • Sometimes: I try to limit how much I vape around my kids.

24 12.77%
  • Rarely: I actively try to avoid vaping around my kids.

15 7.98%
  • Never: If my kids are around, I'm either outside, or not vaping.

25 13.30%
  • Don't know.

5 2.66%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Do you vape around your kids?

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It was thanks to my daughter (now 14) that I quit smoking and started vaping. I used to sneak outside smoke, come in wash, brush my teeth, spray on body spray etc-yes everytime I was home and smoked. When she broke down crying and said she knew I was still smoking and didn't want to see "me die", I knew it was time. I tried vaping (with a frustrated attitude) and surprise surprise-here I am 3 yrs later NOT smoking. With that said, she is so thrilled that I stopped smoking that its almost a security to her as she knows that my vaping means I am not back smoking. I don't blow it at her etc, but I do sit around vaping. Currently, most of the time I am with her, I am vaping zero nicotine as well. (During the day commuting etc I am using higher). Just my input.

I think about this often. Me and my girlfriend started smoking together, we switched to vapor together... We've been together for years, it's pretty serious. I think about the future with her a lot, with graduating and whatnot. But since we indulge together... would we both quit altogether just to provide our potential kids with a positive influence?

I mean bad habits are bad habits, but some people consider video games a bad habit, does that mean dad shouldn't be allowed to come home and enjoy whatever he wants to do after work? It's not an issue of "rights" it's just an issue of relativity. Deep down, if you feel like vaping in front of your kids is no different from playing video games after work or having a brew, why the heck not?
    Mrsobie, Anjaffm and kathi17 like this.

Parents would smoke and drink any damn place they wanted when I was a kid and you'd get a smack if you suggested they do otherwise. Man those were the days.

Full Member Verified Member

My kids are 5 and 8, I vape around them, but then again I used to smoke around them too (outdoors of course). Do I think it's a good idea? Not really, and here's some reasons why:

- when I used to smoke, my 8 year old would always lecture me about how bad it is and that I should quit. Therefore, I didn't have as much a worry of her gaining interest in it because she knows it's harmful and smells awful.

- Now that I vape around them. My 8 year old is showing too much interest in it. Always asking questions like: "what flavor is that?" "mmmm that smells so good" "can I try it? why not? it's not smoke".... etc

Sure, vaping is a far healthier alternative to smoking, but I'd rather my kids not end up either smoking or vaping.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Since I have looked at the studies, done the math, and I have educated myself and have not fallen into paranoid irrational thinking, that equates vaping to smoking, I vape around my kids without a second thought.

I even let my 16 and 20 year old try my 0mg juice. I have found the quickest way to get a teenager to do something is to somehow make it "bad" or "forbidden". Take away the mystery, take away the motivation.

I'd be a hypocrite if I told my kids it's okay for Dad to vape, but they shouldn't. My actions have to back my words. My house is a not a "do as I say not as I do" zone.
    ProVari: It's nothing more than a metal tube with a button on it that is well built and accurately delivers a set voltage continuously under load.

Dragon Lady ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

OT

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebubs View Post
    It was thanks to my daughter (now 14) that I quit smoking and started vaping. I used to sneak outside smoke, come in wash, brush my teeth, spray on body spray etc-yes everytime I was home and smoked. When she broke down crying and said she knew I was still smoking and didn't want to see "me die", I knew it was time.
    OMG.
    Why won't anybody "think of the children" when brainwashing them to make them think and act that way?
    Why won't anybody "think of the children" when destroying their happiness by making them think that their parents will "die" of their habit?
    Why won't anybody "think of the children" when brainwashing them to pressure their parents (the people who gave birth to them and raised, clothed and fed them) into stopping doing something that some "authorities" think is "bad"?
    And I thought the Eastern Bloc was horrible in indoctrinating children and making them turn against their parents.
    Boy, was I wrong....

/OT
    European Vapers: We need you! Please sign the European Free Vaping Initiative - for all of us!

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I've often wondered about this, but ultimately I don't really have an opinion. Over here in the UK the media is hitting vaping hard by 'thinking of the children', assuming that it's a gateway drug that leads onto smoking and then ultimately further (seriously). I had family that smoked around me when I was a kid, and it wasn't a big deal so I'm certainly not against vaping around kids.

The only time I thought anything negative about it was the guy on here that gave his very young child an e-cig without a battery so that he could play with it and pretend he was vaping like Daddy. Very irresponsible if Daddy ever left his powered up e-cig with nic juice lying around. Otherwise, I completely agree with showing slightly older kids that you're vaping instead of smoking. If nothing else, it will improve the image in the future for us by being totally normal (not that it's anything less, but everyone has had the strange looks from strangers before )

Full Member Verified Member MikeChops's Avatar

My wife and I are fine with me vaping in the house with our son. And she is Mrs. Anti-Smoker

i smoked around my kids drink around my kids and vape around my kids. my parents beat it into me that smoking and drinking where bad. when i was younger they tried to hide their drinking from me. i started smoking at in 94 at age 11, and started vaping at 29, almost 30, my kids trashed the cancer sticks i had left when i got my ego kits and its been solid vaping since. my kids know smoking in bad, thank you public schools, and that vaping has nic in it and thats a mommy and daddy thing like booze and beer and they arent to touch it.

Super Member Verified Member Kellysleep's Avatar

When I smoked I did around my daughter and now that I vape I do it around her. I am very honest with her she hated that I smoked and is very happy I switched to vaping. There are far worse things in the world for me to concern myself with that could harm my daughter than what may or may not be in second hand vape!
    kathi17 likes this.

provari~provari~provari-mini~Provape 1 #backups4backups
    AKA The Vaping Skittle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast