• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Where is the Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I started with the Iran/Iraq conflict, then on to El Sal, Paki/AFG for the Russians, Bosnia, Gulf, Somolia, Iraq and AFG. I just came home last fall from another AFG. I am done. 32 years. We are moving to Kauai this summer. Dog has never seen the surf. Life will be good in flip flops, a beard and a Hawaiian shirt.

Reactions: oldbikeguy

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Your priorities need to be reassessed. I got rid of the wife before I'd even THINK of getting rid of the bike. :lol:

I would normally agree with you but there are really no roads to ride on Kauai. So, a moped or scooter would be the best way to get in the wind.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
When I went special duty with Field Training, I was given a choice of assignments. Hawaii, Germany, or UK. No way I was going to take the bike to Hawaii as it would have driven me nuts. Islands are too bloody small. As I had already done a tour in Germany, I chose the UK. Spent 4 years there and would have extended indefinitely until retirement if it had been possible.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I know what you mean, retired1. I shipped my bike to Hawaii, actually Oahu because I did not think I could live without it and the Army shipped for free, either home or new duty station. Was great fun riding in new places but it got old after the first six months. Ended up getting a Kawasaki 250 dual purpose since there were lots of places to ride that the streetbike could not go.

Reactions: oldbikeguy

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
I did a brief stint from 03-06, 19K that got stuck in Ft. Irwin. Although I was on the cushy side of the rotations that place was rather boring lol. Miles and miles of desert and the closest town was full [edited] :nah:. Decided to leave and go back to college and ended up doing a few more years in the reserves. All things considered do kinda miss it a tad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Army Infantry. I'm a grunt and proud of it. Getting a lot of guys to quit smoking, and watching their runs increase is great. I've been vaping to cut back on dip, now down to about a can every couple of days. I have better things to do than worry about getting my face cut apart. Even some leadership is catching on a little bit, and that crowd of smokers at the end of the concrete is going away, to guys vaping at the door. The draw and curiosity get people to ask if they can try whatever it is your vaping, that big cloud must have caught their attention. Guess that's why I started carrying a spare drip tip around for such reasons, people tend to drool the first couple of times they vape, especially if they don't realize that a sub-ohm build is a much hotter vape than the other guy with a regulated box and kanger tank!

Took a guy to the vape shop the other day, got him started on a box mod and a tank. He's not ready for RDA's yet, privates don't make a lot of money, and can't afford the initial cost of that side of the hobby; Buying a mod or box, buying the RDA, buying tools, buying bulk wire, cotton and a lot more juice than they realize. That startup cost is almost half of what they make a paycheck.

Anyway, joined May 2011- Present. Coming up on 4 years, and it seems like yesterday I just raised my hand and joined. Still have a couple more years left before I decide to go to 10. IF I make it there, I'll probably stay in. It's not a bad life at all.

Reactions: redrebel821
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread