What the doctor said about vaping today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading through Xcighippy's thread about the doctor's negative response to vaping and my experience with the doctor I had a physical with today was much different. Thought I'd put this in a new thread just to clearly contrast his opinion against what some doctors seem to say. A much more positive note.

As far as he was concerned vaping as opposed to smoking is perfectly fine and a positive step. He felt that the byproducts of combustion in regular analogs, particularly the carbon monoxide, are much worse than anything likely to be found in eCigs. He went so far as to say that if I watch my diet and keep vaping instead of smoking that in about four months it will basically be the equivalent of a complete transfusion for my bloodstream as far as removing toxins. I kind of have the usual guilt complex about nicotine and mentioned that I could cut back incrementally. He said not to beat myself up about it and not worry about the nicotine right now. He advised me to congratulate myself for making a better choice for my health instead. He didn't advise me to stop vaping anytime soon, just to stick to the change and not go back to tobacco.

People can say whatever they will about doctors having whatever motivations but my impression was that this guy was sincere. I was actually a bit surprised that he was so supportive of vaping as an alternative but he seemed quite certain about his opinion. Just goes to show that not all physicians have the same opinion.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Was reading through Xcighippy's thread about the doctor's negative response to vaping and my experience with the doctor I had a physical with today was much different. Thought I'd put this in a new thread just to clearly contrast his opinion against what some doctors seem to say. A much more positive note.

As far as he was concerned vaping as opposed to smoking is perfectly fine and a positive step. He felt that the byproducts of combustion in regular analogs, particularly the carbon monoxide, are much worse than anything likely to be found in eCigs. He went so far as to say that if I watch my diet and keep vaping instead of smoking that in about four months it will basically be the equivalent of a complete transfusion for my bloodstream as far as removing toxins. I kind of have the usual guilt complex about nicotine and mentioned that I could cut back incrementally. He said not to beat myself up about it and not worry about the nicotine right now. He advised me to congratulate myself for making a better choice for my health instead. He didn't advise me to stop vaping anytime soon, just to stick to the change and not go back to tobacco.

People can say whatever they will about doctors having whatever motivations but my impression was that this guy was sincere. I was actually a bit surprised that he was so supportive of vaping as an alternative but he seemed quite certain about his opinion. Just goes to show that not all physicians have the same opinion.

I'm glad you posted this TechnicalEcstasy.

Because sometimes I think sometimes all Doctors (unfairly) get lumped into a Group because of what a Few Physicians have been quoted as saying.

Nice to hear you have one who has more of a Moderate and Informed position on e-Cigarette use.

Reactions: catlady60

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    He felt that the byproducts of combustion in regular analogs, particularly the carbon monoxide, are much worse than anything likely to be found in eCigs.
    That's pretty much the way I feel about it. I like my nicotine, and now I get it by vaping instead of burning tobacco. My general physician knows that I vape now. I'm pretty sure he can read, and I'm almost as sure he's read thru the notes that his nurse takes. He hasn't said one thing about though, one way or the other. Another doctor that I see is just thrilled that I don't smoke anymore, and he seems to not be bothered by the 'nicotine constant'.

smkfree

ECF Veteran
    Nov 9, 2014
    oak lawn il
    I have a heart doctor and a family doctor. 17 months ago I had a heart attack 11 months ago I gave up smoking completely and started vaping. Neither doctor knows much about vaping at all. One didn't even know you could select your nicotine level. On my follow-up tests and visits both are amazed with my progress. Neither have said to stop vaping but to keep off the smoking.

Xcighippy

ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2013
    OC CA

I like your DR.! Thing is, knowing my DR for all these years, I expected the same type of response to my vaping. In fact that is basically what he told me a year ago when I told him I quit smoking using vaping. I was floored when he gave me the "its no better than smoking" rhetoric.
    I would like to know what bull... changed his mind.

Reactions: Katmar
    I like your DR.! Thing is, knowing my DR for all these years, I expected the same type of response to my vaping. In fact that is basically what he told me a year ago when I told him I quit smoking using vaping. I was floored when he gave me the "its no better than smoking" rhetoric.
    I would like to know what bull... changed his mind.

I really can't imagine either. I don't think any of us is saying that vaping is as healthy as fresh mountain air but comparing breathing some vapor to breathing smoke from something basically on fire defies common sense. I can only figure that it's a type of groupthink. That sort of thing is unfortunately rampant in the medical establishment. My dr is kind of ornery though so maybe he just doesn't buy into it.

tmcguffie

ECF Veteran
    Oct 22, 2014
    Ayrshire, Scotland, UK
    Great to hear that your Doc sees vaping in such a positive light, and I certainly think that with the increasing popularity of vaping, the "front liners" in the medical profession should at least do some research, looking at the legit studies that are out there now. If they did they would surely come to the same conclusions we, as vapers, already have and at least suggest vaping to patients who smoke as a safer alternative.

Reactions: Katmar
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread