Joyetech eGrip - I am loving this thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
So I have two of these and one of them just started cutting out mid vape . It did it for a while and I the coil. Then it worked for two hours and it's cutting out again. Unscrewing and re screwing the rba remedies it temporarily

The light lights as if it's a good vape. No flashing like its shorting etc. any idea? i've also swapped rba bases and it's happening with both in one and neither in the other egrip

Also they still both cause me to drink quite a bit of juice. I've worked and worked on coil builds and found the sort of best of for flavor and no dry hits but they seem particularly bad in a pocket leaking into the drip tip and even turned Up always I end up with juice in my mouth.

Thanks for any help on both issues.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So I have two of these and one of them just started cutting out mid vape . It did it for a while and I the coil. Then it worked for two hours and it's cutting out again. Unscrewing and re screwing the rba remedies it temporarily

The light lights as if it's a good vape. No flashing like its shorting etc. any idea? i've also swapped rba bases and it's happening with both in one and neither in the other egrip

Also they still both cause me to drink quite a bit of juice. I've worked and worked on coil builds and found the sort of best of for flavor and no dry hits but they seem particularly bad in a pocket leaking into the drip tip and even turned Up always I end up with juice in my mouth.

Thanks for any help on both issues.
I can't help with the electrical issues but here is what I think I've learned about the RTA leaking issues. First the wicking material has to be covering all four liquid feed holes. I check for that by looking at the holes from the outside. I keep working on the wicking until I can see dry cotton through the holes.

When the all the liquid in the atomizer chamber is suspended in the wicking the wicking will cling to the sides of the chamber over the feed holes strongly enough that the only liquid that's going to come in is what the wick can absorb. If liquids pool in the atomizer (gurgling might be a sign of that) the wicking will tend to float away from the walls allowing liquid to flow in and pool until it can get into the air supply and leak out the bottom. All RTAs are potentially vulnerable to this. The egrip RTA could propbably be designed to resist this better.

The current RTA build in my egrip has been there for a while with zero leaking issues so it can be done. Also, I want an experience close to the bvc coils in my Nauilus minis. To get that I use the same ohms, watts and restricted air supply. To restrict the air suply I wedge a peice of aluminum foil into the air intake so it won't fall out.

Last edited:

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
I can't help with the electrical issues but here is what I think I've learned about the RTA leaking issues. First the wicking material has to be covering all four liquid feed holes. I check for that by looking at the holes from the outside. I keep working on the wicking until I can see dry cotton through the holes.

When the all the liquid in the atomizer chamber is suspended in the wicking the wicking will cling to the sides of the chamber over the feed holes strongly enough that the only liquid that's going to come in is what the wick can absorb. If liquids pool in the atomizer (gurgling might be a sign of that) the wicking will tend to float away from the walls allowing liquid to flow in and pool until it can get into the air supply and leak out the bottom. All RTAs are potentially vulnerable to this. The egrip RTA could propbably be designed to resist this better.

The current RTA build in my egrip has been there for a while with zero leaking issues so it can be done. Also, I want an experience close to the bvc coils in my Nauilus minis. To get that I use the same ohms, watts and restricted air supply. To restrict the air suply I wedge a peice of aluminum foil into the air intake so it won't fall out.

I never cover all 4 holes with cotton. Never. Leaking comes from missing, or not tight washers or seals. When tight, the pressure keeps it from filling up the RBA and leaking or gurgling. Have you tried just using the BVC coils to get that BVC experience?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I never cover all 4 holes with cotton. Never. Leaking comes from missing, or not tight washers or seals. When tight, the pressure keeps it from filling up the RBA and leaking or gurgling. Have you tried just using the BVC coils to get that BVC experience?
I'm tired of paying for coil heads. I reserve my egrip for certain situations, it's not my daily driver. I will eventually try a bvc coil in the egrip. That would be a good back up if the RTA started tasting foul away from the house. I love my egrip, glad to have it, but may be it's not an ideal beginner device. When I finally start DIY I'm going to try to make a high pg liquid looking for less visible vapor for the sake of more stealth.

Rutch

Verified Member
Nov 11, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
stainless is a pain to fabricate. I see nothing wrong with unplated brass. Brass instrument mouth peices are brass. I blew into one of those for years. There are a number of shiny materials used for plating. I believe my instrument mouth peices were plated with nickel or some variation. There may or may not be any health implcation to the wear in the photo.
I'd say instrument mouthpieces vs atomizers is an apples vs oranges debate. Sure they're both brass, but the applications are very different. Blowing through a brass mouthpiece isn't quite the same as inhaling through a brass atomizer with a heating element attached to it. That mouthpiece isn't going to see much more heat than body temperature compared to an atomizer that could potentially see hundreds of degrees during use. Unplated brass is bad-news-bears inside an atomizer, copper and zinc are kinda nasty to inhale.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'd say instrument mouthpieces vs atomizers is an apples vs oranges debate. Sure they're both brass, but the applications are very different. Blowing through a brass mouthpiece isn't quite the same as inhaling through a brass atomizer with a heating element attached to it. That mouthpiece isn't going to see much more heat than body temperature compared to an atomizer that could potentially see hundreds of degrees during use. Unplated brass is bad-news-bears inside an atomizer, copper and zinc are kinda nasty to inhale.
Are you concerned that heat from a coil is triggering some chemical reaction in brass and you are inhaling something dangerous to your health? If so what might that be? THen, how would brass be different other metals that might be used.

20 million people in america are using ecigs. A fair guess is may be 50 million world wide. If there are reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs I'd like to read about that.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
For my side here no leaking issue after I build a dual coil, just maybe the wick are thick enough when dual coil build, I used 32g kanthal wrap 7 wraps to a 2mm screwdriver and dual coils the ohm are around 1.24ohm.
11014657_10153158985235502_4564799201599890031_n.jpg 11125273_10153159033355502_6657674727369261790_n.jpg 11147584_10153159036485502_7340651745635359097_n.jpg

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
I reserve mine, with the RTA deck for situations where descrition is indicated or I may carry it as a backup. The taste with the RTA is outstanding. I wish I understood why. I think it's not ideal for a newbie but I love mine and look forward to future versions.

I use mine during the day when I'm out running around. Not fond of the stock coils and I am a newbie so I don't rebuild. I use the aspire bvc coils and they taste awesome :) I actually have 2 for my 2 favorite flavors. I'm also looking to see what the new versions will be like!!!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I use mine during the day when I'm out running around. Not fond of the stock coils and I am a newbie so I don't rebuild. I use the aspire bvc coils and they taste awesome :) I actually have 2 for my 2 favorite flavors. I'm also looking to see what the new versions will be like!!!
My day dream would be a regulated side by side with replacable battery and where I can mount the tank of my choice. I understand it would have to be a lot bigger than the egrip but my issue with pocket carry is how tall a device is. I do a physical job and when I'm not doing that I'm riding a dirt bike. The side by side form factor works for me but may be there are issues that restrain the manufacturers I haven't thought of.

Evenutally you may get tired of buying and stocking coil heads. I've been rebuilding for about a month and that probably won't change. Buying liquid in 240 ml bottles has my vaping cost down to about a dollar a day. When I start DIY I'm figuring it will go to well under 50 cents.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread