Stuff and Nonsense and General Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favored

May 13, 2014
San Jose, CA, USA
It just occured to me that I hadn't introduced myself yet.

I'm a 41 year old, married with toddler, Java Developer from San Jose, CA. I started smoking cloves occasionally when I was 18. My frequency increased drastically after 21, since smokes and alcohol go so well together. I eventually switched to regular cigarettes when I realized a pack a day clove habit was way harsh on the throat and lungs. I've tried quitting several times since then without success until I tried vaping last April. The switch was easy and my health dramatically improved (I was going through a cough and heavy lung congestion that prompted my switch). I know I'll never have to deal with a yearly bout of bronchitis again and I can hold my breath under water for the whole length of swimming pool or sing really long notes.

I'm here because I like deejStuff. I saw a review of Sybil's Obsession on JuiceDB which spurred my first order. It exceeded my expectations and is my EDV. Both deej & Sybil are top-notch mixologists who offer super-premium e-liquid at a price that makes me feel like I am actually saving money as a non-smoker. I'm glad to be here.

Anyways, Shanghai/Songjiang update/observations:

My flight path was pretty much always in sight of the shore instead going due west across the Pacific. What I mean is that on a flat map it looks like we went northwest up the coast of California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska then finally west along the Arctic Circle then southwest along Russia's coast to get to China. Surprisingly, we were just continuing the same angle we started with. This is a straight line on a globe and by far the fastest route. Check out Polar route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

My hotel room's shower door is missing. Apparently this is an issue because the door isn't available to order anymore. I'm guessing that there is a culture of producing modular parts but not as many craftsmen? It wouldn't be a problem to change rooms, but I'm settled in, don't want to move my stuff, and kinda like the challenge of seeing how dry I can keep the rest of the bathroom when I shower. I'm weird.

Based on my extra long dinner alone last night, I think I've figured out that the bill will never come until you explicitly say "Check please." You can refuse dessert or extra beverages, but they will not make an assumption or ask if you would like your check. After thinking about it for a bit, I realized American restaurants are rude.

Outside of my e-liquid, all of my vaping hardware is made in China. However, in one of the most crowded cities I've ever been to, one that has many smokers, I've yet to see anyone else vaping. Some have asked about it and sounded intrigued by the flavor aspect.

The time zone is 15 hours ahead of my home time zone (Pacific Standard Time). It took me a while to think about what time it is at home until I realized I could just subtract three hours from China time and then switch the AM/PM. For example, it is 2:20PM in China. I subtract three hours for 11:20AM. Then I switch AM to an PM. Thus, 2:20PM is 11:20PM back home.

Driving is pretty similar to the USA. I assumed the cars would be narrow, but I realize I must have been thinking of Japan. The key difference is large bike lanes with a multitude of e-bikes, scooters, and mopeds.

The currency is pretty easy to mentally calculate since there are about 6 Yuan per US Dollar, but there are specifics about tipping and what-not that need to be figured out.

The hotel breakfast buffet is like dinner and I LOVE it. You get can get eggs and potatoes, but you can also get steamed pork buns, chicken, chow mein, fried rice, garlic pumpkin... just amazing stuff for the most important meal of the day. The coffee was fresh ground and delicious, probably in large part due to the fact that the milk was extra creamy.

I've eaten some interesting things, but I do not recommend duck tongue, although you should take a small bite just so you can say you've had it. :)

The Great Firewall of China blocks a surprising amount of the internet. No Facebook, Google (even my gmail account), YouTube, etc. I'll probably set up a VPN for next time I come here.

Tomorrow I'll be checking out downtown. I'm pretty excited.

Last edited:

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Sound great (except for the duck tongue.)

Are you responsible for the weekly new versions of Java? (I had to update again yesterday.)

Saw this report on the local CBS station last night.

Apparently, some teens have started drinking e-liquid (they show a bottle of 3mg) for a quick high.
My reactions, in order, were:
1. Ewwwwwwww
2. They're are going to ruin it for all of us by giving lawmakers a new excuse for banning vaping.
3. It's only a matter of time before some idiot uses stronger liquid either by mistake or looking for a bigger high and ODs.
4. A nicotine high isn't even a pleasant experience. (I overdid it one evening a few months after I started vaping. I stopped for several hours and promptly switched from 24mg to 12mg.)

Favored

May 13, 2014
San Jose, CA, USA
lol. I'm not responsible for the Java language itself, I just speak it. You'll have to take that one up with Oracle. :)

More from China:

I went to downtown with two of my Chinese co-workers. It took about an hour to get from Songjiang district, where my company's factory is, to the heart of Shanghai. Shanghai is huge. I learned so many words yesterday, most of which are lost to me this morning (8AM here).

I went on an elevator to the top of the Pearl TV Tower. They have an observation level that has a glass floor:
pearl_tower.jpg
* Not my picture, but a good example. I'll post some pictures when I get them from my phone to a computer.
Just getting near the glass floor made me dizzy. It took me 10 minutes before I had the nerve to slowly move out onto it. It's nice to face a fear and conquer it. I could probably never skydive, do roofing, or window washing, but I'm worlds more comfortable with heights than when I was a little kid. I could imagine bungee jumping in my future.

I also walked down Nanjing Road. It is a bustling road filled with shops. So. Many. People. I was outdoors, but it felt a bit like claustrophobia. The number of people takes some getting used to. Americans generally have an expectation of a fairly large personal space bubble, but the Chinese have gotten used to elevator and subway situations where it is not uncommon to be physically touching two or three people at once. I get it, because it would take forever to get anywhere if you were always waiting for the next elevator or train with enough personal space. Although some amount seems like poor planning. For example, my hotel has 20 floors, but has three elevators; one marked for staff. Even though we go ahead and use the staff elevator, on the weekends, not everyone fits. If you are trying to go down to the lobby and your room is on one of the lower floors, you may have to miss several elevators waiting for one that is not filled up by the time it reaches you. Oftentimes, people will squeeze as many as possible in an elevator until the weight alarm goes off. The elevator will not move when the weight alarm is sounding, so one or two reluctantly get out.

It was really nice to have dinner and some beers with my co-workers. I feel like some cultural walls came down. One of them I've know as a colleague for years, but now I feel like he's a friend.

Off to breakfast.

Last edited:

Favored

May 13, 2014
San Jose, CA, USA
China update 3:

My temporary office is a small conference room. Since the building is an electronics packaging facility, I need to put these blue plastic bags on my feet for ESD protection before I go upstairs even though I will never go into any of the rooms that house our product and would need this type of protection against static electricity. For vape breaks, I must go to the smoking shed which is about 200 feet past the next building over (far away from any chemicals). I take off the foot bags when I leave and put them back on before I go back upstairs. I always feel a bit bad when I rip one trying to put it on my wide feet and have to ask the guard for another one. I also get nervous about how many breaks the employees here take versus what I usually take in the US, so I've cut down a bit.

T-shirts with English words are a thing here. Much like shirts and especially tattoos with Chinese characters were a thing in the US a few years ago. I feel like both the designers and the shoppers should have help before they produce or buy a shirt. Some are a little .....y, like the girl I saw with "denied" and "no chance" on her shirt. At least that shirt makes sense, even if I think it's a bit rude and definitely arrogant. I was somewhat confused when I saw a very modest and reserved looking young woman wearing a "lust" shirt. Did she mean to convey that? The most interesting was a little girl with the word "butter" on her shirt. I thought about that one for a while because it makes some amount of sense, but it just doesn't work. Most of us are probably familiar with how milk, cream, etc. has been positively viewed by every culture in history. The Israelites were promised a land that flows with milk and honey. We even have the phrase, "cream of the crop." However, butter just doesn't work and it's hard to explain why.

I solved a huge issue. I love music and I didn't even load my phone with songs before I came. YouTube and every internet streaming radio station I could think of are blocked here. However, I found YouKu, which has music videos just like YouTube and, even though the whole interface is Chinese, I at least know what a search bar looks like, American artists are English words, and who hasn't learned to click ►? Also, doubly thankful for xiami.com streaming music -- since it's not video I can listen even when everyone is on the WiFi at the hotel and I found Armin van Buuren. My co-worker gave me a search url for Baidu.com (The "Google" of China) that will pop up movies, some (older ones) free to stream. If you're ever in China and want to watch an American movie: 百度视频搜索_美国电影

Favored

May 13, 2014
San Jose, CA, USA
I'm glad the forum is back. Looks nice.

Trying out my sample of Sweet Summer Strawberry today. Very impressed. Tastes like biting into a fully ripe, real strawberry.

I'm looking very much forward to trying New York Cheesecake and Vanilla Custard when I get back to the states. I wanted to let them age to perfection while I was gone (In my experience, creamy normally needs the most aging). I think I would have sampled them long before now if I had access to them. :)

China Update 4:
Yesterday, Saturday, I went to Qibao Ancient town (pronounced Chee-bow -- I probably will never understand some transcriptions; like how Q is a ch sound). It was built in the Five Dynasties Period, 1000 years ago. That place looks like what I imagined China was like as a kid. The roofs that slope up at the bottom, the waterways, and the stone bridges. I took some pictures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread