Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Governor Pence,

I'm writing to you in reference to HB 1432 which recently passed in the legislature.

I have been using electronic cigarettes since 4/21/09, 6 years ago. They work. I had tried patches, gum, lozenges... Yes, I could smoke and chew gum at the same time. I smoked for 35 years and the e-cig is the only thing that has ever worked.

HB 1432 will make me a criminal. I cut and/or mix my own liquid and have for over 5 years. I am very comfortable with the vendors I purchase from and believe this should be my business and not the state's. I'm not going to stop, and I really don't know why you would sign a bill into law that can't be enforced. I can grow tobacco, make wine, beer.... but for some reason, the state wants to interfere with my ability to ingest nicotine by way of a safer delivery method than combustion.
This bill would also make it illegal for me to give away to a friend a bottle of e-liquid that I didn't like. I have several.

I don't think there has been any resistance to the portions of the bill that require
-childproof caps
-minimum age requirements for purchase
-hazardous contents warning labels
But these have already been self imposed by the industry and consumer demand. That makes sense but, I think we all know the FDA is going to mandate that soon anyway. When they do, it can be implemented nationwide, without every state having different regulations.

I seldom use the B&M vendors in my area, but I appreciate that many smokers are able to quit smoking because they saw a storefront, or their kids/friend took them there. They serve a purpose and this bill will probably put many of them out of business.

I find it disturbing to hear our legislators state that they need to regulate e-cigarettes because “we really don't know anything about them”! Really? Because you know less than the citizens you are regulating?

The proponents of this legislation also insinuated that “illegal substances might be put into the liquid”. Well though I have never heard of that, the individual user can potentially still do that. If they are talking about pot, there is a separate herbal vaporizer that would be more practical. So penalizing me for that possibility would be equivalent to making tobacco pipes illegal in the '60's & '70's, oh, and my Grandfather's rolling papers.

I understand that this bill is really designed to get the vendors registered so the industry and thus the users can be taxed to recoup tobacco tax revenues lost from myself and the many, many others no longer buying cigarettes. Through the years of Indiana tobacco tax increases, I bought mine in Kentucky. I quit smoking right about the time my President added a $1/pack tax to cigarettes. That was supposed to be an incentive to quit. That one worked. Now you want that money back?

Please tell me why the tobacco company products are going to be exempt from this regulation. Have you considered regulating them?
Have you considered limiting the ingredients in their cigarettes to be only tobacco? Banning the other 599 additives in their recipe book? Might they not be as tolerable or as addictive without ammonia to get that nicotine across the blood brain barrier faster.
If you really don't want Hoosiers to smoke, how about banning tobacco sales in the state of Indiana?

My other issue is with all the emphasis on teenagers using electronic cigarettes.
Wouldn't those kids otherwise be smoking cigarettes? I started smoking cigarettes at 14 -15 years of age. I wish ecigs had been an option.

Please rethink signing this legislation. It's knee jerk, overreach and I believe will only serve to eliminate a viable smoking alternative which could minimize healthcare expenses over the long term.
My father recently died with COPD, I will probably still suffer from it as a consequence of my years of smoking. E-cigarettes are an alternative and more evaluation needs to be done. Smoke(combustion) and nicotine are two very different things. I'm sure you have contacts at Lilly that can enlighten you on the current research that is being done on nicotine. It may prove to be out next wonder drug.

I hope you will consider my input.

Respectfully,

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Four, great letter!

We wanted to get the talking points I posted out earlier, but we spent more time than we wanted working to remove wording that transmitted anger. It is far from easy to keep the emotions out and be professional-ish.

January 9th of this year I held my mother as she breathed her last labored breath in her fight against COPD due to 48 years of smoking. It's that emotion that has kept me in this fight even when I think I should just give up. I've been an advocate for many years and it wears on a person. Hearing the stupidity coming from people elected to represent me, the constant battle in meetings and hearings, the talking to reps that are looking out for themselves, it makes my wonderful wife worry about me. (and jealous of the time it takes from her.) But, I'm not a quitter. I couldn't even quit smoking no matter how many times i tried. I did switch to vaping and I've seen the improvement in my health. I will keep fighting because there is another family out there that may get a few years more with a loved one due to a switch to vaping.

If only I had the means to get every vaper to write and call, we could win this. I have gotten all my non-vaping friends and family to call and write, so I shouldn't feel too bad about the vapers who don't.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Call to Action Updated!

(Update - 04.20.15)

HB 1432, which would destroy the vapor industry in Indiana and essentially ban the sale of e-liquids produced out-of-state, is expected to be transmitted to Governor Pence’s office this week. It is of critical importance that ALL vapers, their friends, and family members take this opportunity to contact the Governor and respectfully insist that he VETO this bill.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Call to Action Updated!

(Update - 04.20.15)

HB 1432, which would destroy the vapor industry in Indiana and essentially ban the sale of e-liquids produced out-of-state, is expected to be transmitted to Governor Pence’s office this week. It is of critical importance that ALL vapers, their friends, and family members take this opportunity to contact the Governor and respectfully insist that he VETO this bill.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Sent my letter today!

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
BTW, How could, not to mention why, anyone try to vape alcohol? Sounds like a joke to me. What could you vape? 1-2 ml in a tank? And why? I would just drink it before I figured how to get the consistency right!;)
They were also insinuating hash oil.
The only facts were that one jurisdiction confiscated 42 ecigs at a school. OH MY!!
Drive those teens to BT.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I imagine Mikey is looking for something to sign that will make him look good among all the bad press he has recently brought on himself.
My local news ran a "OH NO! THE TEENS ARE VAPING!" segment last night. Maybe there are more and he is going to ride in on his white horse and save the day.

Ugh...that's what I'm worried about, his image needs fixing and he might see this as a patch.

Reactions: four2109

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Ok, so I just learned that it won't matter if Pence veto's this bill, the veto will be overturned. So things are pretty much done, as far as this bill goes. We have a year to figure out what we're going to do as far as work arounds go. I'm thinking about checking to see if it would be possible to get a PO Box just over the Illinois or Michigan state borders, they are both pretty close to me. I don't know if that's possible but I'm going to look into it.

Reactions: four2109

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
On average, bills are taking 9 days to be transmitted to Pence's desk and he signs them the day after. The general assembly session ends 4/30 so there is a slim, very very slim, chance for a veto. (Which would probably force a summer session with the resulting increase in debate per assembly rules.)

All communications against HB 1432 to the governor are helpful. The governor is in charge of enforcement and the ATC and even if not vetoed, could have an impact on interpretation...

Sadly, the fight must go on. Even if it is signed into law, we are already planning on the next steps. We know it will not be easy. We did not expect to win when we started, but we had to try. We knew we were up against big money and starting from behind. The fact that we knocked it off a guaranteed fast-track and obtained any news coverage at all speaks volumes about the effort everyone has put forth. We even managed to get a few, tiny, amendments in the bill. (not enough to make it palatable by any measure sadly.). Operating on a budget of a few thousand against an opponent with a budget of more than a few million, think about that for a second, we faced a multi million dollar lobbying effort and started months afterwards.

I'll be damned if I'm going to give up. Every sponsor goes up for election in a few months. The fight has to go to their front door, in their districts.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
FYI a politician friend of mine cornered one of the Senators who voted
in favor of this bill on live radio this morning asking him why he would
vote for this. Politician's friend's wife is a life long smoker who didn't
like e-cigs and is in poor health so he appreciates anyone who is able
to switch. I've been updating him the past few months on what this is
all about.
Just chipping into it one bit at a time. The way it was explained to me,
Indiana has some of the highest smoking rates for some of their counties
than anywhere else in the nation.
I've also done my part letting Pence know my stance, btw. I just don't
think being a former Hoosier I'll carry much weight with him.
Keep fighting.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Ok this is what you're up against, and most everyone else regardless of city
or state is probably up against the same: Arnold co-authored the bill
(did not know that), and frankly........he doesn't have a clue about
anything regarding the industry. He just knows (claims) that e-liquid
is completely unregulated and any vendor can put any ingredient in
a bottle. I am setting people straight, but can't do anything with the
Senator (I knew him when he was younger and I also knew his dad much
better). This is the attitude of the politicians who express one. It's not
regulated so that must be a bad thing. Gasp. They appear to have no
concept or clue as to anything going on in the industry, and my guess is
they have no desire to learn but rather just go with the money in how they
vote. Arnold is a democrat if that matters. I haven't paid much attn to
how party lines are voting. My last comment to the go-between was
that Missouri passed regulation to prohibit the sale of anything e-cig
related to minors, and also to have child proof caps on all e-liquid sold,
and I'm fine with that as are most people but that's where government
should stop and get out of our lives.
I've also filled in who I can about e-liquid and that has been quite lengthy.
Edit: If this were not a public forum I could get in much deeper detail, LOL.
Edit two: I have to go to Indiana this summer to visit the elderly folks and
will be out and about a lot in Arnold's territory. If anyone has a link to
where I can buy a "I vape and I vote" t-shirt that isn't too expensive please
let me know. Thanks.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
That's why I pretty much feel hopeless in regards to this legislation, none of the people voting have a clue what they are voting for or against. It's really quite disturbing. It should be mandatory that the only people who are allowed to vote on new legislation are the ones who actually researched it before casting a vote, otherwise how do we know that they know anything about any legislation they vote on? They should have to file research reports or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread