Forbes, Reason Mag, Sullum: Why Is The CDC Lying About E-Cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Why Is The CDC Lying About E-Cigarettes? - Forbes

"The CDC refuses to see it that way. “This is a really bad thing,” CDC Director Tom Frieden told the Times. “This is another generation being hooked by the tobacco industry. It makes me angry.”

Wait a minute. “The tobacco industry” is hooking kids on e-cigarettes? Although tobacco companies have begun to enter the e-cigarette business in recent years, the two industries are hardly synonymous. Leaving aside the question of ownership, e-cigarettes do not burn and contain no tobacco, which is why they are so much safer than traditional cigarettes. It is more than a little misleading to classify them as tobacco products.

Yet that is what the CDC does. When it claims “there was no decline in overall tobacco use between 2011 and 2014,” it is counting e-cigarettes as tobacco products. That makes as much sense as counting nicotine gum or patches (which also contain nicotine derived from tobacco) as tobacco products. This is no mere word game, because it is not true that “there was no decline in overall tobacco use between 2011 and 2014.” The CDC is lying to us."

Please, no 'tobacco product' semantics. It isn't anyone here that misunderstands the lie that is being propagated. If tobacco use hasn't declined, why are the MSA bonds now considered 'junk bonds'? :lol:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Do we know in which form (cigarettes vs. smokeless) sales were increased, and were those domestic sales or exports?

Domestic shippments, cigarettes. Marlboro brand alone increased 1.2%.

The War on Vaping is showing results. Wonder if any ANTZ would admit what were the consequences. And, more important, if they were intentional.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Domestic shippments, cigarettes. Marlboro brand alone increased 1.2%.

The War on Vaping is showing results. Wonder if any ANTZ would admit what were the consequences. And, more important, if they were intentional.

That truly is sad. It would appear that the ANTZ message is having its intended affect and pushing those on the fence or in transition back to smoking.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Reactions: nicnik

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
People who don't vape, that I've talked to lately, believe the recent slanted studies on vaping. They think vaping is as bad, or worse, than smoking. I of course set them straight.

Say: "Is there anything that you do or eat, where you've read biased fear mongering stories about them that you know are BS? Well, that's the same for ecigarettes."

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
I find Forbes' articles regarding ecigs very articulate and to the point. There inserts are on point. I always sign on to read the next attack episode. They are very good at it. They even add REAl science. Imagine that.
I just wish we were having more impact. I read all these articles that counter the anti-THR lies but they seem to fall on deaf ears. I, like many others, are struggling to win over physicians and people in general. I write, email, copy, hand out, read some more, explain till I am blue in the face (ok so I stole that line from my mother) but what am I gaining? Oh no, no I am not giving up but if I could only see a little light at the end of this tunnel it would make me less.....obsessive and possibly less sarcastic when it comes to certain statements made by ANTZ cronies. But I don't think so...................................

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I find Forbes' articles regarding ecigs very articulate and to the point. There inserts are on point. I always sign on to read the next attack episode. They are very good at it. They even add REAl science. Imagine that.
I just wish we were having more impact. I read all these articles that counter the anti-THR lies but they seem to fall on deaf ears. I, like many others, are struggling to win over physicians and people in general. I write, email, copy, hand out, read some more, explain till I am blue in the face (ok so I stole that line from my mother) but what am I gaining? Oh no, no I am not giving up but if I could only see a little light at the end of this tunnel it would make me less.....obsessive and possibly less sarcastic when it comes to certain statements made by ANTZ cronies. But I don't think so...................................

I've found that shifting a somewhat stagnant face-to-face discussion of e-cigs to a more general discussion of the narcissistic attitude of the would-be-controllers to be effective.
Once someone is feeling disenfranchised with that generality it's usually pretty easy to get the discussion back to e-cigs and to get people nodding their heads in agreement.
It depends on the depth of the crowd though, I'll admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread