Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Trying to delete conversations from my inbox ecf freezes, and when I open a new tab the conversations are still there with the tick box checked.
I've successfully deleted (leaved) about four of those.
But I have one that won't go away.

The particular "conversation" that won't go away is one I had with a moderator.
So I'm wondering if there is something about that.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
So as far as I can tell this software is stuck on displaying 20 posts per thread.
I had my settings at 40 posts per thread on the previous software, but I wouldn't mind an option for 100 posts.

Is 20 the only option now?

That was already covered pre-changeover. Fixed at 20 posts per page - no option for anything else.

Reactions: DC2

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
This probably gets filed under "Annoyingly different, but not broken."

There is no context for likes.

Under the old software when viewing likes given/received it showed the first two lines of the liked post. New software? Only shows who liked a post and what forum the post was in. Does not display any text of the liked post. If you have a run of 30 likes in a single thread you have no idea/context what people are responding to - unless you click and open every individual like.

Can that be changed back to the way it used to show at least part of the opening text of a liked post? Right now likes are just a somewhat meaningless pile since they display no context.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

Under the old software when viewing likes given/received it showed the first two lines of the liked post. New software? Only shows who liked a post and what forum the post was in. Does not display any text of the liked post. If you have a run of 30 likes in a single thread you have no idea/context what people are responding to - unless you click and open every individual like.

Can that be changed back to the way it used to show at least part of the opening text of a liked post? Right now likes are just a somewhat meaningless pile since they display no context.
Click Likes You've Received under your name popup at the top right. You'll go to the likes page and see a lot more. :)

Reactions: Shadav

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Trying to delete conversations from my inbox ecf freezes, and when I open a new tab the conversations are still there with the tick box checked.

Can you try again please?

So as far as I can tell this software is stuck on displaying 20 posts per thread.
I had my settings at 40 posts per thread on the previous software, but I wouldn't mind an option for 100 posts.

Is 20 the only option now?

Yes, currently, that is not something that can be changed.

Likes are built-in to XenForo. The previous system was a modification to vBulletin, therefore, a modification to XenForo would have to be made in order to get this functionality added. To my knowledge, it's not currently being discussed, but I'm not an administrator - only a moderator - so that may perhaps be under discussion. As Sonic said above, if you click "Likes you've received," you can get something similar but it isn't the same as the old system where you could reference pretty much every "like."

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
When you get a new alert and click on the notification that pops up in the lower left of the screen, the 'Alerts' tab in the upper right opens, but it literally opens for like a millisecond then closes again. Maybe this is just me.

I've seen a lot of complaining about the new system already... I want to say, I really like it! I love the layout, streamlined alerts, and new thread previews. I'll be looking froward to the new 'styles' for sure. Overall though, I really like the new!

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana

Can you try again please?

Ok I got the incoming conversations removed but the old ones that would equal my sent messages I can't leave

also had to open and do them 1x1 if i just ticked the boxes it froze

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Ok I got the incoming conversations removed but the old ones that would equal my sent messages I can't leave

also had to open and do them 1x1 if i just ticked the boxes it froze

Messages in this software are treated differently than in vBulletin, so I'm not quite understanding the issue you're having. There is no separate folder as in the old software for incoming and sent. All conversations are equal now. If you send a message it's treated just the same as if you received one.

Can you elaborate?

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
The ones that would have been in my sent folder in vbull meaning I sent to someone I can't leave to make them go away. All I could do was move them to the filter tab

Why are you not able to leave? Are you getting an error message or is something else acting up?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yes, currently, that is not something that can be changed.

Likes are built-in to XenForo. The previous system was a modification to vBulletin, therefore, a modification to XenForo would have to be made in order to get this functionality added. To my knowledge, it's not currently being discussed, but I'm not an administrator - only a moderator - so that may perhaps be under discussion. As Sonic said above, if you click "Likes you've received," you can get something similar but it isn't the same as the old system where you could reference pretty much every "like."

Unfortunately that doesn't give you anything different than the pop up list does - just a lot more of it.

This really kills most of the purposefulness of the Likes function. When you could quickly identify what post was being liked you could determine whether you, say, needed to visit a particular thread for a follow up. If someone likes something you posted in New Members - two years ago...? Now that Likes show no post context at all - other than the sub forum the post was in - they don't give anyone particularly useful information - either for the original poster being liked or someone visiting a user profile.

If the answer is to click on all your liked posts and open all the threads - nope. This is a major downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread