Not open for further replies.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Depends on your application. By the little info provided, it sounds like you might require a high-drain battery. 2800mAh is about as high as they go in high-drain 18650 form. If you want longer battery life, I would suggest getting a mod that accepts two 18650's or a single 26650.

Last edited:

sharwngs

Feb 12, 2015
Depends on your application. By the little info provided, it sounds like you might require a high-drain battery. 2800mAh is about as high as they go in 18650 form. If you want longer battery life, I would suggest getting a mod that accepts two 18650's or a single 26650.

But I've seen 18650 batteries having 3200mah.

Batteries - 18650 Batteries - Fstop Lights

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
That's why I said it depends on your application. Those only have a max discharge rate of 5.2A. You efest has a max discharge of 30A I believe, but those may be the rebranded 20A LG batteries. If you require high drain, like the battery you have now, you will not find better than 2800mah that I know of.

What it really sounds like is you need some education on batteries in the vaping world. I suggest you read up on Ohms law and battery safety: Battery Safety and Ohm's Law - onVaping

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
So you are drawing 8.4A off your battery if you're using the 0.5Ω coil. We recommend at minimum, a 20% safety margin. This means you need a battery with a minimum of a 10.5A continuous discharge rating. So when you're searching for batteries, make sure it has at least that, it should be stated in the specs listed in the product description. You will find that batteries with that kind of amp rating are usually between 1600-2800mah. Also, when buying batteries, only buy them from trusted sources such as: Batteries and Chargers

If you are using the 1.2Ω coil, then 5.2A for the battery you were looking at will be fine. Do you know which coil you're using?

Reactions: K_Tech

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are three main types of Lithium chemistry batteries which we use in vaping:

IMR are also known as safer chemistry, high drain, or Li-Mn. These are the removeable rechargeable batteries for Advanced Personal Vaporizers. These differ from ICR chemistry in that they have more amp output, but less mAh (capacity). When sub-ohming (coil resistance less than 1.0 ohm), amps is a much higher priority than capacity if we wish to keep all of our fingers and face intact.

ICR batteries were the replaceable, rechargeable batteries initially used in Advanced Personal Vaporizers a couple of years ago. They are not high drain (only about 3 - 4 amps output), so they are not at all suitable for rebuildables (sub-ohm). ICR batteries are no longer recommended for mods for safety reasons. They are not safer chemistry (they have the potential to vent flames and possibly explode).

LiFePo chemistry batteries are the non-removeable, rechargeable batteries found in APV's like the MVP and iStick.​

For more info on mod batteries, visit my Baditude's Blog. Be sure to read Battery Basics for Mods: IMR vs ICR?, Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries, and Explain It To the Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations.

Choose the specific battery you use for your specific application. A battery with a higher capacity in mAh is not necessarily a better battery than one with a higher continuous discharge rate (amps rating). Other factors come into play.

For you particular needs OP, you need to base what battery you choose based on the continuous discharge rate in amps since you are vaping under 1.0 ohm; meaning you need a high amp output battery of at least 20 amps continuous. There are a few models available with 20 amps continuous with 2500mah, which is about the best you will find in today's battery market.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My 18650 batt lasts maybe...4 hours ( I chain vape)

Will a dual-battery box mod lengthen the lifespan before i have to recharge?

Yes, two of the same batteries run at the same wattage as the single battery will double your run time on a charge. It makes no difference if they are in parallel or in series.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Are you aure Ryedan? I thought series doubled the life while paralell doubled the amps.

Yup, I'm sure. In series you have a nominal voltage of 7.4V and the same amps and mAh as one battery, say 20A and 2500 mAh.

In parallel you have the same voltage as one battery so nominal 3.7V but twice the amps and mAh, say 40A and 5000 mAh.

Watts = volts * amps, so for the two scenarios running at max current draw and the same output per battery we get;

7.4V * 20A = 148 watts.
3.7V * 40A = 148 watts.

Battery life is totally dependent on watts drawn from them over time. If you would like to check this out more, try the Steam Engine battery drain calculator. It will load default values of a regulated mod in VW mode at 100 watts and 90% regulator efficiency which is fine for us. On the right side where it says 'Battery capacity' change it to 5000 mAh and hit enter. 'Nominal voltage and C rating' defaults to 3.7V and 8C. The 'C' number doesn't matter for this exercise. Look at the runtime and you'll see the 'Estimated total runtime' is 10 minutes. Change the mAh to 2500 and the voltage to 7.4 V and you'll see the same 10 minute runtime :)

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread