New Study - Cig Smoke Causes Cellular Death, Vapor Doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Development of an in vitro cytotoxicity model for aerosol exposure using 3D reconstructed human airway tissue; application for assessment of e-cigarette aerosol

A long, dry read, but might be helpful to someone... a few good quotes :

Unlike cigarettes, exposure of EpiAirway™ tissue to either variety of e-cigarette did not reduce tissue viability relative to untreated (incubator) control tissues.

(EpiAirway tissue is grown in a lab from human tracheal/bronchial epithelial cells for research purposes)

Under the study conditions cigarette smoke demonstrated a dose-dependent response that resulted in near-complete cell death after a 6 h exposure period. In contrast, e-cigarette aerosol showed no decrease in tissue viability following a 6 h exposure, despite appropriate positive control responses.

Odd - under "Conflicts of Interests" it says :

The authors report no conflicts of interest and are employees of British American tobacco or contracted by British American tobacco.

It seems this would be the opposite of "conflict of interest" ?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Once again, a study suggests no harm to vaping. Which agrees with a general observation that there is a decided lack of evidence, in the form of actual case studies, of anyone having been harmed by vaping.

Despite that the naysayers will continue to dispute the facts, in this case because the study was performed by BAT, which has a commercial interest in the general vaping/nicotine industry. As if any other researcher is totally unbiased and has no axes to grind????? And so the stomach (and the mod) turns.

Personally, I am gratified that my choice of vaping has no known significant health consequences at this point in time. I can't say that about gin & tonic, which is a drink I like from time to time. Or my soft drink of choice, Pepesi, high test, with natural sweeteners (I'm an organic kind of guy when it comes to sweeteners, none of that stuff made in chemistry labs for me). If only all the other things I ingest were so free of known harm as my vape ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread