Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Provari's and Unprotected Batteries

AW IMR NiMN is not protected, but 'probably' most safetly /Safe chemistry/
    u can used them in PV with little concern

look here Li-Ion Unprotected Batteries

Account closed on request

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

These were unprotected, stacked, non Lithium Ion batteries, fyi.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I appreciate the replies, and agree with the words of caution to a large extent.

It comes down to a personal choice and a matter of warranty I suppose since I cannot see the benefit of having two protective devices essentially in the same circuit for no plausible reason. What I will say is that a definite plausible reason would be a fail safe since if one protection circuit malfunctions you have the second to reply on.

But again this is me being me and I cannot get it out of my logic the difference between say a P18+ (pure mechanical) with a protected Li-ion and a ProVari (pure electronic) with an unprotected Li-ion. Both have the same level of undervoltage and short circuit protection (and arguably better in the ProVari anyway).

It was for this reason I started the thread ... I will post my misery someday when my unprotected Li-ion blows me up
    tearose50 likes this.

ECF Veteran

The way I see things Sicarius, is that I will basically put any battery in the LT because they are fundamentally disposable PVs anyway, lol, but the Provari is a quality unit - so I only put the right batteries in there...

Account closed on request

I think the LiMn are okay to use (IMR18650). They are safer chemistry and are what is recommended.

ECF Veteran

To put this one to rest I propose the following:

Li-ion unprotected batteries will work safely in the ProVari (until the PV protection fails)
    LiMn batteries are unprotected, but are accepted as safe due to their chemistry (lower fire fisk)
    Li-ion protected batteries are probably the safest option in the PV (fail safe protection - two devices)

Li-ion unprotected batteries are $0 / Li-ion protected batteries are $10 each (descent ones)

Batteries last around a year before noticeable deterioration - so $10 per year saved using unprotected Li-ion

Hell ... say two batteries a year at $20 ... that's 7.5 years before the cost of a ProVari balances out.

Case closed - don't be skimp

I may just keep a couple for emergencies when the recommended ones die and replacements are in the post.
    andyman97 likes this.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Li-ion protected batteries are probably the safest option in the PV (fail safe protection - two devices)
    This is why I got the 3100 mah protected AW IC batteries. Last a day and a half and charge in <4 hours on a pila charger. Plus I pay attention. Everytime I replace the battery and put it on the charger/take it off, I do a good once over to make sure everything looks good. The second I notice a hot battery or anything out of the ordinary, I will just replace it.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'd like to know more about what the protection does, as well. I'm sure it's somewhere in this amazing forum.

I had thought -- use protected li-ion in your every day non-regulated mod for the best in safety. It seems to me that Most mod makers have been suggesting protected. (Reo doesn't?) In Provari and whatever other devices that have protection -- use IMR.

Despite this -- tons have preferred IMR's. "Experienced vapors".

With this latest accident -- (with the tenergy's) ECF seems to be saying --- AW IMR are the safest --- because they won't blow up. ( Of course, they shouldn't do that if the protection circuit was working properly.....and I don't know if anyone has figured out hot to check that.)

So -- what do we tell a newbie? I don't know.

If you go back to posts in 2009 you might find the scoop on the unprotected li-ions....and how the decisions all came about.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast