Provari or mechanical mod? K100?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Provari or mechanical mod? K100?

Default Provari or mechanical mod? K100?

I'm torn between purchasing a Provari or a mechanical mod like a k100. I want to put a rebuildable atomizer on it. Right now I own an evic but want to get something that will produce more flavor and vapor. What do you all suggest. And where's the best price I can get for a Provari. Should I get a mini or regular sized Provari. All your help will be appreciated. Thank you.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

More flavor and vapor would be more dependent on the type of RBA (delivery device) and juice you chose.
    Baditude and Pwall805 like this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

this seems like such a difficult question because you're asking about two completely different things but...I would say you could get something similar to a Provari with all the features it has, a K100 or K101, and an RBA for the price you would pay or a Provari.

Just a "Member" Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

If you get a Provari, buy direct from Provape. Big price difference between a K100 and provari. If your new to rebuilding, it might be a little frustrating building for an un regulated mech. With a regulated device, (Provari, Evic) you can adjust volts up or down to get the most out of the coil you wrapped. All Mods will give you good vape and flavor if set up right. Buy a Provari for it's superior construction, Customer service, warranty and reliability. All mods will vape like crap if you don't do your part and set your RBA up right. As a new vapor, using an unregulated Mech can be very frustrating. You need to be accurate with the coils resistance, you need to use the highest quality batterys, you have to have a good understanding of Ohm's law so you don't damage your batteries or yourself and you need to expect voltage drop. As you vape on it, your battery's voltage drops and you get less performance. You also run the risk of over discharging batteries, again running the risk of damaging them or yourself. I like the mini, I use it with two tatroe extension rings so I can use all three battery sizes on the same device.
    Technonut, Baditude and Pwall805 like this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran zhentipede's Avatar

Provari or mechanical mod? K100?-img_5327.jpgProvari or mechanical mod? K100?-img_5331.jpg

K100 as back up =) just buy the " mod only option can go as low as $25 uses any extra size battery

Blog Entries

Since you have yet to do Rebuildables, you don't know yet if they are something that you will enjoy. They're not for everyone. Advice & Tips for RBA

Set up perfectly, they can be the best vape experience you can get. But they can be extremely fussy, and you will need a backup juice delivery setup when that happens. I haven't touched my two RBA's in a couple of weeks because both need recoiled, and I haven't found the motivation or patience to spend the half hour it will take me to do that. I've fallen back onto my trusty cartotanks, which provide me with a more consistant and predictable vape.

To improve on the RBA experience between a regulated PV and a mechanical, you have to go to sub-ohm coils with the mechanical. Safety issues such as correct battery choices, discharge rates (amps), shorts, etc are more critical because of a smaller window of safety vs battery hard-shorts. With a mechanical mod there are no built-in safety features like a regulated mod - YOU are the safety feature who must be able to recognize shorts and know how to eliminate them before a battery failure occurs.

The Provari will be much more versatile than a mechanical mod. You can do normal resistance RBA's on a Provari and have just as nice of a vape experience as you can with a mechanical. I bought my first AGA-T2 with all intentions of putting it on my Silver Bullet mech, but found that I got a better vape with it on my Provari. I won't do sub-ohm coils because of safety issues, but others are willing to accept that risk. 2.0 ohm coils on the AGA and Provari is my sweet spot.

You can put any juice device on a Provari and get a great experience. A mechanical? Possible but not so likely. Most people using a mech need to use low resistance attys, cartos, or clearos. A Provari can use different voltages to adjust to different resistances of atomizers. You can also adjust the voltage to each individual flavor you use for its particular "sweet spot". Built-in ohm meter and battery voltage meter. And don't forget the built-in protection that a regulated mod gives you that a mechanical won't have.

I'd go with the Provari for the far greater versatility and built-in safety of voltage regulation.

Provari or mechanical mod? K100?-silver-bullet-aga-t2.jpgProvari or mechanical mod? K100?-aga-t2-provaris.jpg

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I have owned and have been using Provaris for about 3 years now and can say that it is still the most worthwhile mod to own.

Coincidentally, I own a K100 as well and can say it's an absolute steal for the price they expect for it.

If you want to get into RBAs, there's a bit of a trade off when it comes to a Mech vs a VV device. The most important part is the amperage limit the VV has, which is why people started to put RBAs on mechanical mods, to bypass that limit.

If you plan on making a single coil on your RBA, then putting it on your Provari will be fine (I'm running a built coil at 1.5 ohms at 4.7 volts right now, hits great.).

If you're looking for dual coil set ups, or super sub Ohm set ups, then you will be happier with a mechanical. There are a bunch of things you should keep in mind when using a mech and sub ohm set ups, however. This is where the safety issues come into play (battery choices, discharge rates, shorts, etc).

I currently have an IGO-W set up with very low ohm dual coils on my K100 and it hits wonderfully.

You should weigh out your options, but my opinion is that everybody should own a Provari. Even with all the mods that have sprouted over the last year, there's still nothing like it on the market.

Pride Male Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I also see the ProVari as a logical step into the mechanical world. If you are considering a mech, do you have a multimeter? Have you used batteries enough to be familiar with the basic safety ABCs that every mechanical user should know? Have you ever built a coil on an RBA? If your answer to one or more of these is "no", the ProVari might be the better choice for you right now.

The ProVari is a very versatile (and relatively powerful) device that will permit you to get familiar with all of the above while you prepare to enter the mechanical world, should you choose to do so down the road.
    Baditude, Izan, RedhatPat and 2 others like this.

There are no men like me. There’s only me.
    ---Jaime Lannister

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    not the end of the earth but you can see it from here

Why chance it buy both

Ultra Member ECF Veteran NicoHolic's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As said above, if the issue is flavor and vapor, you need to be trying different juice delivery devices, not different batteries (mods). Unless you need the ruggedness of a Provari (work on concrete or steel, etc), your eVic will do everything and more the Provari will (except for max power level), and both are safer and easier to use than an inexpensive mechanical. Try dripping if you haven't. Try disposable cartos and rebuildable atomizers, drip (RDA) or tank (RBA). If you like dripping, look at a bottomfeeding mod such as the REO Grand (available as mechanical or variable voltage).
    Two REO Grands w/RM2 RDAs • Super-T Precise Simplicity 18500 w/ΣΟΦΙΑ IBTanked • eVic and USB eGos w/ProTanks
    Swedish snus - a stealthier alternative to stealth vaping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast