Madvapes is titrating for nicotine! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Madvapes is titrating for nicotine!

PIF Moderator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Has Madvapes come up with thoughts, then, on how often they will test things? A check on all nic base, and/or on each larger batch of final eliquid (and if the latter, need to benchmark for any effects of the flavorinigs used)? It appears a good benchmark has been established, understanding the methodology, next would come the plan on its intended application to product.

Nice job!
    Last edited by markfm; 01-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Pay It Forward Learn to laugh at yourself -- why let everyone else have all the fun :)
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran hoogie76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markfm View Post
    Has Madvapes come up with thoughts, then, on how often they will test things? A check on all nic base, and/or on each larger batch of final eliquid (and if the latter, need to benchmark for any effects of the flavorinigs used)? It appears a good benchmark has been established, understanding the methodology, next would come the plan on its intended application to product.

Nice job!
    Actually the top paragraph in our testing is a bit mis-leading as it implies this is the only testing we do. We send our nic batches out for testing to a lab but to be able to verify before a lab test is awesome.. When Adam first starting doing some testing with the test kit, the results were not consistent so we wanted to see why and how to overcome the inconsistencies in results.

What we do now with our nic is make 5 to 10 gallon batches of 300mg and store these in carboys in a commercial fridge. We send samples of this out for testing. From the 10 gallon batches we make wholesale orders of up to 150mg and on the retail side we use a formula chart and and syringes to add nic to each bottle of liquid we make. The biggest factor affecting variability of the nic in say a 50ml bottle of e-liquid is the amount of pre-mixed 0mg liquid base that is added and may vary up to a few mls in a 50ml bottle. With using the 300mg nic we can always get within a 1-2% tolerance in nic variations on 50ml and under bottles.

hoog

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Excellent information

It sounds like, essentially, you might keep the outside lab test, plus do your own internally, so that you can check for consistency, know just what that 5 or 10 gal intermediate nic is at.

Any thoughts on maybe using the internal test, with the Blue, periodically as you cycle through a given 5 or 10 gal carboy, to make sure you haven't run into any separation issues, any voids or hot spots that weren't picked up on the initial check?

(What you're doing sounds super, just curious to see if there is a practical extension.)

Thanks!
    Pay It Forward Learn to laugh at yourself -- why let everyone else have all the fun :)

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran hoogie76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markfm View Post
    Excellent information

It sounds like, essentially, you might keep the outside lab test, plus do your own internally, so that you can check for consistency, know just what that 5 or 10 gal intermediate nic is at.

Any thoughts on maybe using the internal test, with the Blue, periodically as you cycle through a given 5 or 10 gal carboy, to make sure you haven't run into any separation issues, any voids or hot spots that weren't picked up on the initial check?

(What you're doing sounds super, just curious to see if there is a practical extension.)

Thanks!
    Actually, yes, we have run into hotspots, especially with VG based nic. We take the carboys out occasional as shake, rotate, etc to minimize seperation. We will always continue to send out our 300mg for testing but what the self test kit is great for is when we do orders of 150mg or less. We can quick test to make sure our mix is right before we ship kg bottles to other manufacturers.

hoog

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It sounds like you're doing a nice job on this, excellent

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

keep up the great work. Itis nice to know you are looking after us.

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Now if they can only make all good tasting juice lol . I love madvapes and order from them all the time but not for there juice .Some i can vape but others eh .Props for the testing though . You guys even with the above opinions are one of the best vendors there is imo
    Last edited by Str8V8ping; 01-16-2012 at 09:51 PM.

DailyVapes
    1.DIY SDCookies2DIY Carapplecinna3DIY toffee4DIY GBCMods:1Provari2.VariMini3.BP4.Str8's modsPIF

Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Most excellent job, Adam and Hoogie! I definitely like the two-stage testing protocol. Will keep people safe and minimize big problems, for sure.

From what you are saying, it sounds like hot spots can arise in VG even after full mixing. Is this true? I had heard this as a rumor, but have not seen concrete evidence as yet.

Also, and perhaps I'm being picky, but watch those sig figs. If you are using 0.12 N H2SO4, or some other 2 sig fig concentration, you can only say you measure 2 sig figs in the end for nic. So 24 mg, not 24.xxx mg.

Another request: can you measure the density of any of these unflavored nic-liquids? I have an interest in this in terms of ways to calculate nic easily, but the density I measured from one known-composition liquid is higher than either the PG or the nic. trying to understand why and if this might be important in when making liquids directly in the retail bottles. PM me if you like for details.

Fantastic work, guys! You are helping to raise all ships! Salute!
    TomCatt likes this.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Kudos to Madvapes for stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Most excellent job, Adam and Hoogie! I definitely like the two-stage testing protocol. Will keep people safe and minimize big problems, for sure.

From what you are saying, it sounds like hot spots can arise in VG even after full mixing. Is this true? I had heard this as a rumor, but have not seen concrete evidence as yet.

Also, and perhaps I'm being picky, but watch those sig figs. If you are using 0.12 N H2SO4, or some other 2 sig fig concentration, you can only say you measure 2 sig figs in the end for nic. So 24 mg, not 24.xxx mg.

Another request: can you measure the density of any of these unflavored nic-liquids? I have an interest in this in terms of ways to calculate nic easily, but the density I measured from one known-composition liquid is higher than either the PG or the nic. trying to understand why and if this might be important in when making liquids directly in the retail bottles. PM me if you like for details.

Fantastic work, guys! You are helping to raise all ships! Salute!
    Kurt

We have experienced some "hot spots" but mostly in testing recently made samples. We learned from test results that VG requires some additional mixing to have accurate consistant results. So with that in mind we do periodically re-mix our nicotine batches to ensure that there is no separation. As of now I have not seen any separation since we started mixing longer.

I will remember to watch out for my significant digits. Thanks.

For a density test would you like to use specific gravity as a method to test for that? That could be done pretty easily.

Adam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast