Ohms & Voltage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ohms & Voltage

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8.5 watts). If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V2/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you want to know more, this is a good read:

EXPLAIN the ELECTRICAL STUFF, I DOUBLE-DOG-DARE YOU

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative. The newer chart, created by TomCatt, can be viewed in post #(ref needed).

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I like the chart. Bookmarked this page. thanks
    Katya likes this.

Proudly Made in the USA

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

There is something on the Android app store (presumably something similar on the iPhone) that will calculate wattage for a given ohm and voltage and such. It helped me tremendously to be able to plug in numbers and see how the other values changed. I don't have my phone with me or I'd give you the exact name of the app, but i found it by searching for Ohm Calculator.

Full Member Verified Member BlaqueJezus's Avatar

So with the new aspire bdc do I go by the 1.8ohm for my wattage calculation, or the 3.6ohm which is each coil? I've just been doing 1.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqueJezus View Post
    So with the new aspire bdc do I go by the 1.8ohm for my wattage calculation, or the 3.6ohm which is each coil? I've just been doing 1.8

When you have resistors in parallel, like a dual coil setup, the formula is R1*R2/R1+R2. So two 3.6 ohm coils would have the total resistance of 1.8 ohms.
    Katya likes this.
    Smoke Free Since September 9, 2009

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Sorry, N/M...
    Last edited by Katya; 10-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqueJezus View Post

When in doubt, start low and work your way up--just to be safe. The manufacturer recommends 3-5 volts. I'd start at 3.8v.
    Last edited by Katya; 10-10-2013 at 02:17 AM.
    BlaqueJezus likes this.

For me it comes down to what I like. I have boge cartos in 1.7, 2 point something and 3 ohms. I prefer 1.7 ohm coil. It seems to last longer than the other two coils. The vape seems to be warmer even at different voltages. So unless you plan on getting into the weeds just choose a coil you like and stick with it.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hi Kineard. Just for the record. Boge only makes two kinds of cartomizers--Standard Resistance (SR): 2.7-3.1ohm +/-0.2; Low Resistance (LR): 2.0-2.4ohm +/-0.2. I always check resistance with my multimeter and can confirm the LR Boge usually meter out at ~2.0Ω--I haven't used the new SR cartos in a while, but they used to measure 2.8-3.0Ω

Smoktech makes a 1.7Ω Resurrector cartomizer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12