Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Gotvapes Stardust: How to re-wick and replace the coil

Ultra Member ECF Veteran nicotime's Avatar

And you said you was a natural blonde!!
    KWM likes this.
    ................I found a solution that may be bad for one of both of us..............

Looks kinda dirty or dirty blonde?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Screen D View Post
    Betcha the one you have is of the first batch variety. All four of the ones I have from back in January have been taken apart many times with no problem at all. The new ones are a PIA to get apart.

I had planned on trying a SS mesh, but have been so pleased with my rebuilds using the atty rope from COV, that I probably won't change anything.
    Been awhile since i have been on, so this is a late reply.
    Im pretty sure the one i have is from the new batch... It has the markings on it.
    Im not sure though.

Ya i have a little bit of both.
    When i tried the ss mesh it pinched it so i will have to try to suggestion of widening it up a little.

The regular wick material works good, but I im afraid of the adverse effects of silica and other materials due causing of lung problems in studies. While it may not be asbestos, its not too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Propperimprint View Post
    ... The regular wick material works good, but I im afraid of the adverse effects of silica and other materials due causing of lung problems in studies. While it may not be asbestos, its not too far off.
    The problem with asbestos was when it is 'friable', dry and easily crumbled. And although asbestos products that can become friable were banned in 1978 the products that were out there was not pulled from the market but eventually sold. Many homes still contain asbestos.

You'll note you can buy many of these silica ropes and braids from various sources, you will never find these for sale in asbestos (at least in the USA).

I would be more concerned with the consumption of diet sodas.
    nicotime and vapspaz like this.
    "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see"

Try searching...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I think for the most part that the silica wick is safe since it is wet with juice. In fact, OSHA regs for drilling asbestos siding for example, are to keep the drilling area wet while drilling.

I agree that the composition of silica wick is a bit to close to comfort to asbestos and could be a concern. I actually think that if a concern exist, it comes with handling of the wick material itself Shaping, cutting, and wrapping silica rope obviously sends this material airborne. So taking common sense precautions such a wetting before cutting, and cutting outdoors would be prudent IMO.

Just forgot to pick up that 2000th carton of Marlboro's since finding e-cigs.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran nicotime's Avatar

Asbestos is a whole different animal....its structure is a very short fibered, friable mineral....silica fiber is a man-made..long continuous threadlike..resilient material and is not easily broken down to the less than 10 micron size that it has to be to make it to your lungs. This stuff we are using is made for stove gaskets (yep..look at your stove) and fireplaces..and many other close contact areas that we live in. So unless your hammering your wicks to a pulp I wouldnt worry about it too much. You can bet if there was any chance of a problem with it like asbestos..FDA would be all over it...not to mention shut down the fiberglass insulation industry that uses a more impure, blown type of silica...fiberglass. Interesting fact is what they do with the asbestos they remove....

"Asbestos can also be recycled by transforming it into harmless silicate glass. A process of thermal decomposition at 1000–1250 °C produces a mixture of non-hazardous silicate phases, and at temperatures above 1250 °C it produces silicate glass.[142] Microwave thermal treatment can be used in an industrial manufacturing process to transform asbestos and asbestos-containing waste into porcelain stoneware tiles, porous single-fired wall tiles, and ceramic bricks."

Asbestos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yeah...everyone has their own worries...so always do what you think is best for you.
    WillyB likes this.
    ................I found a solution that may be bad for one of both of us..............

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

I would be more concerned with the consumption of diet sodas.
    I lost what Little Faith I had in the FDA when they approved the use of Aspartame for Human Consumption in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    I lost what Little Faith I had in the FDA when they approved the use of Aspartame for Human Consumption in the US.
    Aspartame kills my gut. Oh yeah and they also approved cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    Cool.

Aspartame was continuously shut down, the last time during the Carter administration. All this changed when Reagan came to office with his new head of the FDA, the infamous and disgraced Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr and his buddy Rumsfeld, with his ties to Searle/Monsanto.
    "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see"

Try searching...

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Wasn't Rumsfeld the CEO of the company that owned the rights to Aspartame or something like that?

It always boils down to following the money. Sadly this is what has gotten our nation into the mess we are in.
    I better stop there.

I had one of my re-coiled Ego Visions act up yesterday. The damn thing was going from 2.4 ohms up to as high as 4.8 then back down. I took it apart and reassembled with the same coil assembly and it's working fine again. I couldn't figure out where the short was coming from though. Crazy I tell ya.

Smoke free since Oct 8, 2010 thanks to ....

GP Paps v2.5 SS - Kayfun Lite plus - Provari Mini V2 - (2) MMVapors Mini DiD D14 - MMVapors DiD D20