Thread: Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Da Catt Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You should be able to easily make 2 to 3 ohm coils with 34 gauge kanthal

32 gauge seems better for less than ~2.5 ohm

36 gauge probably 2.8 and higher ohms.

It all depends on wick diameter and the number of wraps you can get in the space you have to work with.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    skipdashu, MISTer E and Hazewitch like this.

Support CASAA, I do ... Cotton Wick Wiki ... PV Web Apps
    VAMO, Saber Touch, ACDC, Puck, L-Rider Robust, iMotion, Desktop Mod
    Yo Way Yo

Thanks! Would you happen to know where I could buy some 34g or 36g Kanthal A-1?
    MISTer E likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I would have preferred 34 but Amazon has 36 for $25, I just bought some and will probably cut myself a nice long piece and put the rest up on classified. But I'm away for 2 weeks in early October so depending on when I get it, I don't suggest waiting for me.

What I want to know is, how long will my wire typically be after trimming? Do I need to adjust for some likely lenth other than 1" ? Like 1.25 or 0.75 ?
    MISTer E likes this.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefstep View Post
    Thanks! Would you happen to know where I could buy some 34g or 36g Kanthal A-1?
    Amazon and eBay are the only places I know of for anything other than 32 guage Kanthal A-1 - at least in small (less than pound) quantities.
    MISTer E likes this.

Yo Way Yo

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    I would have preferred 34 but Amazon has 36 for $25, I just bought some and will probably cut myself a nice long piece and put the rest up on classified. But I'm away for 2 weeks in early October so depending on when I get it, I don't suggest waiting for me.

What I want to know is, how long will my wire typically be after trimming? Do I need to adjust for some likely lenth other than 1" ? Like 1.25 or 0.75 ?
    The final ohms of your coil will depend on the diameter of the coil and the number of wraps you have. Generally, I would suggest starting with a 4/5* wrap and installing in your atty and measuring the ohms with a multimeter to get the actual resistance of the coil. You could adjust from there if more or less resistance is wanted.

A typical 4/5 wrap* with 32 gauge Kanthal will generally be around 1.8 ohms
    A typical 4/5 wrap* with 34 gauge Kanthal will generally be around 2.5 ohms
    Not sure what a 4/5 wrap* would be with 36; but would expect 3 ohms or greater.

*4/5 wrap - when you wrap a coil with 5 'wraps' visible from the 'top' and 4 'wraps' visible from the 'bottom', i.e.

4 wraps visible from the bottom

5 wraps visible from the top
    Last edited by TomCatt; 08-29-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Oktyabr, progg, samsun and 12 others like this.

Yo Way Yo

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomCatt View Post
    The final ohms of your coil will depend on the diameter of the coil and the number of wraps you have. Generally, I would suggest starting with a 4/5* wrap and installing in your atty and measuring the ohms with a multimeter to get the actual resistance of the coil. You could adjust from there if more or less resistance is wanted.

A typical 4/5 wrap* with 32 gauge Kanthal will generally be around 1.8 ohms
    A typical 4/5 wrap* with 34 gauge Kanthal will generally be around 2.5 ohms
    Not sure what a 4/5 wrap* would be with 36; but would expect 3 ohms or greater.

*4/5 wrap - when you wrap a coil with 5 'wraps' visible from the 'top' and 4 'wraps' visible from the 'bottom', i.e.

4 wraps visible from the bottom

5 wraps visible from the top
    Yuck. I could not find any Kanthal 34. Nichrome, 33.5. Well, I guess I can sell the rest to one of these 10-watt vapers. So I'll need to make some 4/5 and some 3/4, but those might well not have enough wick contact, right?
    MISTer E and roosterado like this.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Nichrome should be perfectly fine to use. Check the first post for links to nichrome vendors. I got some 36awg nichrome from Jacobs and it took only a few days to receive it.
    3/4? Go for it, we're all explorers in this area at the moment!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    MISTer E and SkinyFatMan like this.

Yo Way Yo

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomCatt View Post
    Nichrome should be perfectly fine to use. Check the first post for links to nichrome vendors. I got some 36awg nichrome from Jacobs and it took only a few days to receive it.
    3/4? Go for it, we're all explorers in this area at the moment!
    If these ViVi Nova heads weren't so tiny, I'd think about getting the other contact by running the wicking back across the top of the coil. Hmmm, I wonder if that's the reason for the extra "4th strand" that is not tied down that one reviewer was baffled about. (He just took it off, but I figured they would not pay someone to put it there unless *SOMEONE* had a reason!)
    MISTer E likes this.

Decided to go ahead and get the Kanthal 36 awg from amazon. I was actually contemplating the 34awg but as Berlyanna already said, their all out. I'm pretty sure I got the right kind but just want to make sure. I bought the FeCrAl Alloy 36 awg? noticed two other kinds CUP 49, 36 1/2 awg and NIK 60, 36 awg. The CUP has copper and know this can't be right. Is the NIK, the nichrome you guy's are talking about? it has 60/50 Nickel/Chrome Alloy resistance and seems to have good formability as well.

By the way, thanks for breaking down the different resistances from 4/5 wraps. I now see how the length and wraps determine the amount of resistance.
    Last edited by lefstep; 08-30-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    MISTer E likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

It's the length of the wire from connection to connection that makes the resistance, for a given composition and size of wire.
    But some people say to tin the ends with solder get a good connection, and I'd expect a really good connection to both lower the resistance slightly and make the vape more consistent. But I don't think I'm going to do that because none of the ViVi Nova tutorials do that.

I'd have to go look it up the composition you listed but it looks right. I was looking for the Kanthal A1 name, here is what my receipt says:

"Resistance Heater Wire, Kanthal A-1, 36 AWG 0.005""
    $25.00
    In Stock Sold by: Wire Source

I did find some (probably overpriced) 34 at Mountain Oak tonight, I think 15 feet for $4.99, and grabbed one because I seem to be addicted to spending money on vaping stuff. I'll use both, but obviously I'm going to have a LOT of 36 to sell, because I'm a low-wattage vaper and also not using high voltage devices. I really want about 2.6 ohms.

I guess this will be an adventure, I'm a newb. But in addition to my job I also have 2 stone lamps, 1 baby blanket, 1 large quilt, 8 gardens, a gourd drum, a goblin shaman, and a tax return -- all in progress, so I think I can bet money that I'll have more materials than time on this too. But nice to know I could probably permanently handle a ban on devices. Trouble is, that ain't what's likely to get banned.
    MISTer E likes this.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast