Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do I buy for cotton wicks?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default What do I buy for cotton wicks?

Hey guys,

So I want to try a set up with cotton wicks. I know I can just pick this stuff up at Walmart, but what exactly am I looking for? I've heard people mention cheese cloth. Do you know if these are just by the cotton balls, or are they somewhere else? I appreciate any input.

Regards

Blog Entries

For cotton wicking material, you want 100% cotton, no treatments - sizing -antiseptics etc. Cotton balls, yarns, butchers twine, cheesecloth, gauze, candle wick CAN fall into the pure cotton category (read the labels carefully) and can be used for wicks.

There is a thread where many experiments have been recorded...Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.
    I'm puffin' on a pipe bomb and carrying a detonator in my pocket,
    so just what was it you wanted to hassel me about ??

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

First aid section should have cotton medical wrap. As stated, be sure it's JUST cotton mesh. Luckily I had a bolt of cotton cheesecloth from a former project hehe.

It's best to boil and dry the cotton before use, unless it's medical grade.
    Vaping is like a penis or religion. It's OK to have one and enjoy it. Once you start shoving it at people, it's a problem.

ECF Veteran

Great, thanks so much for the info. I'm having issues with silica wick properly. I'll eventually jump into SS mesh, but I don't feel like jumping that hurdle just yet. I've heard good things from cotton wicks.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Cotton is working quite well in my viv nova. the hard part for me was determining the right density of cotton. I've had the best results with 100% cotton roll, purchased from CVS near the first aid supplies. it looks like what you might find if you tore open a couch cushion. i just take a very small piece, just one thin layer, about .75 inch wide and roughly 3 inches long, then roll it between my palms to form a rope. then line it up with a pin and wrap my wire in the center. add it to my vivi head then cut the ends to length. works a treat. oh, make sure your hands a squeaky clean. the cotton has a tendency to pick up any 'flavor' that may be on your hands. cheesecloth is also quite good, but i have trouble keeping all the little threads neat. they would usually catch around my wire, not so with the cotton roll. next up for me to try is 100% cotton candle wick. the only down side for me is that it has to be boiled before use.

Reos/RM2's/Cotton/DIY

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I unbraid candle wick or gauze and work with the threads. Loose threads work best for me and its much easier to consistently assemble wick after wick this way.
    Last edited by rotohammer; 08-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Any of you folks making wicks out of cotton have any photos or videos showing how to do it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pounder View Post
    Any of you folks making wicks out of cotton have any photos or videos showing how to do it?
    I put my How-To in my signature.

ECF Veteran

So I went to CVS and found rolled absorbent cotton. It doesn't say anywhere that it is 100% cotton, but I think this is what I am looking for. I didn't see anything else there that would be it. On the box it says "sterile USP" and says it is for surgical use. I think it is what hildicat was talking about. It has layers of very delicate, thin cotton. I was able to roll it up into a rope and make a coil. I just wanted to make sure it is okay to vape. Can anyone confirm that this is what they use?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTimeHarry View Post
    So I went to CVS and found rolled absorbent cotton. It doesn't say anywhere that it is 100% cotton, but I think this is what I am looking for. I didn't see anything else there that would be it.
    Does it look like gauze or cheese cloth? If so its good. If it looks like cotton balls, its usable but not as easy to work with and get good results. I've used it and had to try a few times, decreasing the amount each time until it produced enough vapor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast