• 1 Post By Sad Society
  • 1 Post By mwa102464
  • 1 Post By epetrillo
  • 1 Post By Phoenix07013

Thread: An alternative to Non-resistance wire

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default An alternative to Non-resistance wire

I experimented with my RBA Penelope today and this works as an alternative to Non-resistance wire. If you can make it fit. Since it is a little thicker. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Head-and-E...ilver/19232047

I bought the silver pack. And created a 2 ohm wire between them using 32A Kanthal.

Just under 4 bucks (for me) at Walmart.
    User Friendly, Vaping Dope Star Obscene!

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You were able to create a 2 ohm wire that fits into an atomizer using this?

Make sure that you aren't reading lead resistance on your ohm meter. You have to subtract that reading from the final. I'm betting that your creation will result in a virtual dead short when you try it.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

ECF Veteran

Actually I was using it when I created this thread. And still vaping strong.

After I connected both non-resistance wires I tested it with the multimeter and it still was 2 ohms.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    You were able to create a 2 ohm wire that fits into an atomizer using this?

Make sure that you aren't reading lead resistance on your ohm meter. You have to subtract that reading from the final. I'm betting that your creation will result in a virtual dead short when you try it.
    I think you might have misunderstood. Certain atties (mainly GG atties) use non resistance silver or nickel wire joined to a length of standard resistance wire (nichrome or kanthal) to make a complete coil assembly. The atties have terminals that are some way from the coil, so the non resistance wire basically extends the coil wire to make the connection to the terminals.
    Brobdingnagian likes this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
    I think you might have misunderstood. Certain atties (mainly GG atties) use non resistance silver or nickel wire joined to a length of standard resistance wire (nichrome or kanthal) to make a complete coil assembly. The atties have terminals that are some way from the coil, so the non resistance wire basically extends the coil wire to make the connection to the terminals.
    Thanks for the explanation on GG atties.
    These silver pins I'm sure are not pure silver. But I do get better ohm readings on the multimeter from joining this and the Kanthal together rather than using the pure nickel wire I have as a non-resistance wire.

Maybe silver is better after all...And maybe there's no silver in these pins. It doesn't say what they are made of on the package.

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

Many of us have been using pure silver wire for a long time, it's very conductive and probably the best to use, you can buy it by the foot/roll here at good pricing = Sterling Silver Wire Round 30 gauge, Half Hard, Wholesale 5 feet, 10 feet etc, $1.75 Flat Rate Shipping. Free Shipping For Order Over $35. | AppletreeGemsems
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mwa102464 View Post
    Many of us have been using pure silver wire for a long time, it's very conductive and probably the best to use, you can buy it by the foot/roll here at good pricing = Sterling Silver Wire Round 30 gauge, Half Hard, Wholesale 5 feet, 10 feet etc, $1.75 Flat Rate Shipping. Free Shipping For Order Over $35. | AppletreeGemsems
    You might want to try this place Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies for your silver wire. Shipping is a bit high but I got 50' of .999 30 ga round dead soft for $10.45 which more than makes up for the shipping.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by epetrillo View Post
    You might want to try this place Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies for your silver wire. Shipping is a bit high but I got 50' of .999 30 ga round dead soft for $10.45 which more than makes up for the shipping.
    Awesome, thank you, just ordered 25ft for a total of about $11, I don't think I'll use more than that, so I could justify the ridiculous shipping

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the links and info guys.

I already knew about the silver wire. I bought 100 feet of pure nickel wire for cheap to use as non-resistant wire for my RBA and me being new to the RBA part I figured 'what's the difference?' I mean how bad could it be using pure nickel wire compared to silver wire?

Well if these pins from Walmart (link in my OP) have just a little silver in them then I wonder how the .999 silver is.

I'm definitely going to get some .999 silver wire.