How Often Or When to replace SS Wick And Coil?

Thread: How Often Or When to replace SS Wick And Coil?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default How Often Or When to replace SS Wick And Coil?

I have been using the same ss wick and coil in my AGA-Tiamat for just over a week. I am starting to taste a bit of a burnt taste. I'm not sure if it's the wick, the coil, or both. Still putting out clouds of vapor though. Just not sure if I should change anything since it's hitting so good still.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've had the same wick and coil in a couple of mine for well over a month. When I've changed flavors, I've just rinsed them out with a syringe and some Everclear, dry burn, check the coil to make sure there are no hot spots, and refill.
    There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who will ask: "What the heck just happened?"

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You can also clean your coils and mesh with a soft toothbrush.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Dry burning the coil and SS wick when they're full of sludge will help take the burnt taste out, and with SS you won't have to worry about ruining your wick when dry burning.

I change my coil if I see that it's becoming thinner on any of the leads. If you let it go for too long, it will eventually melt completely at the thinnest point and "pop".

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by overall View Post
    You can also clean your coils and mesh with a soft toothbrush.
    I use those little Dentek brushes. The look like tiny bottle brushes, and will fit into the space between the center post and the wick/coil. I haven't actually had a wick go bad. Usually, I'll change the wick and coil out just because I feel like experimenting with something different, in which case, I save the used wicks.
    There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who will ask: "What the heck just happened?"

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm using juices with 50/50 vg/pg and 60/40 vg/pg. So that might make them tend to gunk the coil. The top part of the coil is the only place that looks a little dark. So I'll try to clean that part and go from there. Or Maybe I'll just recoil. Thanks for the input.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

i clean them a couple of times as long as they keep wicking im good to goo. as for coils i like to keep changing them twice a week. I get better results when i do that. mesh i change it as I mentioned when it stops wicking or if taste change.