Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dream RBA tastes bad

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default My Dream RBA tastes bad

I bought a Dream and an AGA-T a week or so ago, and recently tried the Dream dripper. I stuck it on my ego temporarily, until I finish my VV box mod. It came preassembled (with a wick and coil). I washed everything thoroughly as I do with all other equipment to get off any machine oil etc. before use.

Here's the thing. It tastes (MODERATED) NASTY. I've tried breaking it in with some juice I don't particularly care for, just taking a pull and not inhaling to see if that helps. It hasn't. It's to the point now where I don't even want to try and break it in any further, because it tastes so horrid. Do I just have to struggle through some more of this before it starts to work, or am I doing something completely wrong?
    Last edited by classwife; 01-28-2013 at 12:17 AM.

2. Advertisement

First off I'm far from an expert but I had the same problem. After I rebuilt and started using cotton yarn as a wick I finally got a set up that tastes and vapes great. I think there are a lot of variables (wick size/material, coil ect).
    One other thing I noticed was the 1st coil was sitting too close to the plastic ring around where the screws are and had melted that plastic a little. That may be the source of your (MODERATED) taste.
    Also if you're using cotton as a wick, once it tastes nasty or burnt it's probably been dry burned and should be replaced.
    I'm not completely sold on RBA's but when they work right they are awesome.
    Good luck
    Last edited by classwife; 01-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Im not completely sure, but I'd try rolling your own wick and coil before passing judgement. I've never used any premade material that came with a setup, it's usually crazy tight and hard as a rock, I couldn't see it wicking water.

ECF Veteran

These are my first 2 RBA's, and I have never built a wick/coil before. This is just the setup that came pre-assembled in the Dream, so I figured I'd try it that way first. I know it's wicking, because it produces great vapor. The vapor is just nasty :-)

Jaco, I'm not sure what plastic you're talking about, the Dream is all stainless, save the o-ring.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy wick/coil, and what to get?

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

until you make your own, two things real quick, make sure the coils are spaced and glowing evenly and turn down the votage a touch. i have a couple silica wick atty's that just dont taste good at the voltage you would expect to run them

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

ECF Veteran

I will indeed check the coils, and I fiddled with the voltage from 3 on up to 4, and nothing helped unfortunately.

The Shortest Straw Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

could just be a crappy coil/wick from the factory. i rarely if ever use the ones that come with a product as they look so wimpy.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

The coil that came with my Dream was on the opposite side of where the air hole was, creating a very unpleasant vape. Make sure the coil is lined up pretty close to the air holes, so the air flow is directed on it. It's taken some experimentation to make a proper wick and coil setup that works well, but now it vapes like a... yes I'll say it.... like a Dream.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

The only wick/coil set-up from the factory that ever worked for me is the ZAP.
    There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who will ask: "What the heck just happened?"

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    The coil that came with my Dream was on the opposite side of where the air hole was, creating a very unpleasant vape. Make sure the coil is lined up pretty close to the air holes, so the air flow is directed on it. It's taken some experimentation to make a proper wick and coil setup that works well, but now it vapes like a... yes I'll say it.... like a Dream.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2
    ^what he said +1. The airhole not lining up can cause all kinds of issues. I'm witcha Mitey, built my first 2 good performing setups last night and today they started acting finicky. Scrapped em and rolled new wick and coil an hour ago, it's gotta get easier, keep at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast