Wire Rope for Wick?
Page 1 of 112 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree656Likes

Thread: Wire Rope for Wick?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Wire Rope for Wick?

So as I move forward here, it seems like the best SS Mesh wick is one made with 500 mesh wound VERY tight, as solid as possible.

It lead me to thinking, has anyone tried SS wire rope before? Stranded wire rope should work kind of like silica rope, but made of SS. With a high enough strand count, there should be decent capillary action. It also has the advantage of continuous "channels" running axially along the wick. With mesh, juice has to jump from "cell" to cell in the mesh, jumping over solid wire or between layers of mesh. With wire rope, it's free to continuously wick upwards. Also - no more rolling, just cut your piece of wick, oxidize, and insert.

I found this, which seems like a good fit for my AGA-T+:http://www.mcmaster.com/#8908T64 item 8908T64. It's 3/32", so would fit well into the stock wick hole. Boring the wick hole out to 1/8" would allow 8908T48 to fit, giving me 133 strands instead of the 49 strands in the 3/32" material, (more, smaller strands should equal better wicking).

Before I blow $10 to $15 on a flight of fancy....has this been done? I can find only a single reference to it on ECF, and no follow up, just someone suggesting it...
    Last edited by shortyjacobs; 01-31-2013 at 05:29 PM.

sounds like it could be a winner. let us know if you decide to take the plunge!

ECF Veteran

I'm really leaning towards the 1/8" stuff, as the much higher strand count should really help, but boring out the wick hole in my AGA-T+ gives me the willies. It's currently my only genny atty, and I do NOT want to kill it.

ECF Veteran

If you only found 1 post about it,my guess would be it doesn't work.If it were any good there would be endless posts about it. But If u like adventure take a shot at it.
    Chuck

ECF Veteran

Shot taken. Found some on AmazonSupply.com: Stainless Steel 316 Wire Rope, 7x7 Strand Core | AmazonSupply.com

The 0.094" stuff is 2.38mm diameter. Not 7x19 strand, but this way I don't have to bore out my wick hole. Plus, I'm an AmazonPrime member, so it ships free, and I'll have it saturday. And it's 25 feet of the stuff. $3.22 is worth it for the experiment.

1 post means it's either a REALLY dumb idea that's occurred to everyone and been considered SUCH a terrible idea that they never even bothered posting about it, or that it's just not occurred to anyone yet, and it might just work. I'll let ya'll know. Though I wish I could find some 7x19 strand stuff for this cheap!
    donnah, Kemosabe, Faylool and 2 others like this.

EDO
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sounds very interesting. I really have no clue... but I would assume that you could get the 1/8 and pinch/roll it tighter and make it fit in the AgaT. Probably safer to buy both....10 ft 3/32 at $5.50 and 5ft of 1/8 for $5.

ECF Veteran

Nifty, found 3/32 7x19 on Amazon too. Another 3 bucks. It's lower grade SS, and is "lubricated", but some flame should take care of the lubrication and if it works well I can spend the scratch to go up to 316 SS.

https://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B0013HEO38

EDO
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well definitely let us know how it works out for you either way.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If you're going to buy it I would get it from McMasterCARR for sure. Subscribed.

Shipping is only 5 bucks and you will have it in two days if not the next day sometimes
    I have stuff. It's expensive. They told me I would save money. :p

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)

subbed>!
    10 characters

Page 1 of 112 123451151101 ... LastLast