Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 28 ga Kanthal, can't get more than .9 ohm.

Senior Member Verified Member

Default 28 ga Kanthal, can't get more than .9 ohm.

So, just bought myself 4 aga T-2s for a quit smoking/birthday present for myself, and the wire that came with the coil was perfect. 2.1-2.2 ohm coils on all 4. Then I watched some videos, and thought that 28 ga Kanthal would get me around 1.5 ohms. So I bought some, and went to wrap, but I could never get higher than .8 ohms, which won't fire on my eVic.

Anyone know if that is normal, or if you should be expecting more out of 28 ga? I even tried something like 8 wraps and nothing was getting me over .9.

Thanks everyone, and Vape Happy!

ECF Moderator
    Original Guru
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

AGA's have a thinner wick, and unfortunately you may not be able to get to the range you want with the 28 gauge. 28 gauge users are usually looking or sub 1 ohm coils. You sound like a candidate for 30 or 32 gauge wire.

You could get around by widening the wick hole and then wrapping a thicker wick but I would think you may end up with a 1 ohm coil with that too.
    DSmooch likes this.

Canadian? Stop by the Canadian Pay it Forward forum!
    Quit smoking: 07/20/2010

Quote Originally Posted by DuffTime View Post
    So, just bought myself 4 aga T-2s for a quit smoking/birthday present for myself, and the wire that came with the coil was perfect. 2.1-2.2 ohm coils on all 4. Then I watched some videos, and thought that 28 ga Kanthal would get me around 1.5 ohms. So I bought some, and went to wrap, but I could never get higher than .8 ohms, which won't fire on my eVic.

Anyone know if that is normal, or if you should be expecting more out of 28 ga? I even tried something like 8 wraps and nothing was getting me over .9.

Thanks everyone, and Vape Happy!
    i got a 1.2 ohm last night attempting a 4/5 coil. but it took forever to heat up. i average .8-1.0 right now with 3/4 coils with 28awg and 400 mesh on a RSST.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

In my experience, 30 gauge works better for the 1.5 range, the 28 takes a long time to glow at higher resistance. If you want higher than 1.5, try some 32 gauge.
    Grizzie likes this.

ECF Veteran

Wow, triple ninja.

Yeah, the 28 ga was just an immediate replacement because I anticipated having to redo a coil due to learning curve. I'll just save it for when I get a mech mod or try some extreme vaping or go for party clouds. I already ordered 32 gauge(100ft for 5.85 on ebay from temco) and once it's here I'll get some good coils going. I didn't want to have to bore out my wick hole or use more out there methods in order to get what I want.

Ultimately if I can wrap a 1.2 or 1.3 ohm coil it would be boss, but I'll learn as I go.

Thanks!

BTW, what mesh do you recommend for anything on the high vg side (20/80 pg/vg or 100vg)? And what kind of effect can I expect that to have on resistance?

ECF Veteran

If you want 1.3 ohms, I would find some 30 gauge. I consistently hit 1- 1.3 with about 4 wraps of 30, depends on the wick / device. I don't use my 32 anymore, since it only allows for a few wraps to remain that low in resistance. Can't comment on the mesh because I've only used 500 with 50/50.
    Grizzie likes this.

Super Member Verified Member SteamDaddy's Avatar

xc 116 ceramic wick
    If your Flux Capacitor is Fluxing.
    At 1.21 GigaWatts, How many Volts are you Vaping ?

Super Member Verified Member SteamDaddy's Avatar
    If your Flux Capacitor is Fluxing.
    At 1.21 GigaWatts, How many Volts are you Vaping ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast