First RDA - did I screw the pooch on this one? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First RDA - did I screw the pooch on this one?

Full Member Verified Member

Also Kanthal or any material like it will have a break in period as well. Flavors and Throat hit will evolve a little bit as you vape.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    Also, Thrasher, I think you might be right that I have a hot spot. I also wound
    the wick pretty tight, could that do it? And it's 30 guage wire with 7 to 8 wraps.
    FogHawg, the cotton is intriguing. It doesn't get more frugal than cotton balls.

7 to 8 is a few too many but liveable. not gonna kill anything.

if you look at my pic you see i use a paperclip, anything like that helps, when you pull it out it gives the wick a little room to expand.

as for too tight it depends on the wick, too tight can cause problems but some wick is so solid you cant crush it. if it looks squeezed in the coil and thinner then the rest of the wick yea back off a bit.

air in an RBA is EVERYTHING and has to hit that coil just right for best effect.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It doesn't get more frugal than cotton balls.
    No doubt. And I think that's one reason why I resisted trying it for so long. But I finally gave it a shot & found that it works great and set-ups are an absolute breeze. I still use SS, silica, & ceramic sometimes (according to the application), but good ole cotton gets the nod more often than not these days. Don't let the low cost fool you like it did me, it's really good stuff.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yeah try to loosen up the wrap a little bit and a hot spot will instantly make a vaping nightmare!
    After just getting into RBA a few weeks ago I been through so much trial and error!
    Try making the legs almost identical in length.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

If I had to guess, I'd say you have a wrap that is either too tight, or too loose.

Too tight and you choke your wick, and get a nasty burnt taste when it dries out.

Too loose, and you have a portion of the wire that isn't making good contact with the wick, so it doesn't get adequate juice and burns, again causing nasty flavors.

The coil should be tight enough to hold the wick firmly in place, but loose enough that you can still move the wick if you really try. Before I used ekowool I used standard 3mm silica doubled over. I would wrap my coil on a little stainless rod I have, place it into the dripper, remove the rod, and feed the wick in through the coil. I would use a piece of scrap wire, secure it to the bend in the silica, feed the wire through the coil, then use the wire to pull the silica through all the way. Using this method the coil was solid and snug on the wick, but if I held the coil I could still pull the wick out with a little effort. That always seemed to be the perfect spot between too tight and too loose.

I'd just suggest wrapping a new coil. Wick and wire is really cheap, and the more you build, the better you get. It's also easier in some cases to start fresh instead of trying to deal with a failed experiment.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Try cotton. Simple but most effective. I have 5 Igo-L's, yes I like them that much. All of them use cotton wicks. The one I am currently vaping on is a 1.4 micro coil with a cotton wick at 12 watts on a Vamo v2. Air flow is important so make sure the air hole is aligned with the coil like previously noted. Also you may want to try and drill out the air hole to 1.5mm from the stock 1mm. The draw will be more airy but the performance will be a lot better with more air going over the coil.
    FogHawg likes this.

jdg
    Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by gotalotgoingon View Post
    Try cotton. Simple but most effective. I have 5 Igo-L's, yes I like them that much. All of them use cotton wicks. The one I am currently vaping on is a 1.4 micro coil with a cotton wick at 12 watts on a Vamo v2. Air flow is important so make sure the air hole is aligned with the coil like previously noted. Also you may want to try and drill out the air hole to 1.5mm from the stock 1mm. The draw will be more airy but the performance will be a lot better with more air going over the coil.
    I've seen this recommended a lot, but it's going to be difficult for me. I already find the draw to be quite airy, but I've been using 510s and 306s for so long.

jdg
    Senior Member ECF Veteran

Update: I rewicked with the short wick that came with the IGO. It appeared to be the same material, but thicker. Thrasher, I took your advice and used a paperclip when winding to give the wick some room to expand. Flavor is awesome! Now it's the throat hit and lung hit that's killing me.. along with a marked reduction in vapor production, which I found odd. These things take some playing with, I have gathered. Will probably update with progress along the way.

Edit: I'm liking this a lot actually. The throat hit is still a little strong, but it seems to be breaking in nicely. Could the increased throat hit and perceived loss of vapor have to do with the Dekand juice I'm using? As I understand, it's 100% PG.
    Last edited by jdg; 07-10-2013 at 03:03 AM.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

i found with the igo it takes some fiddling to get the coil and airhole lined up just right. i think the air hole is just a tad too low and had to kinda lower the coil just a hair. its one of the resons i gave up on it. but keep messing with it and adjusting things a bit and you should find the sweet spot.
    i tossed the wick that came with it so im no help there, i like fatty wicks.
    FogHawg likes this.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12