Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: How is sub-ohm vaping dangerous?

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    And that's the kind of thinking that causes people to accept this false tests as gospel.

Look at what the people using the tests say about NCR18650PD vs NCR18650B vs NCR18650A.

Compare to my results actually vaping.
    NCR18650PD, 420 puffs, 440 puffs.
    NCR18650B, 540 puffs, 520 puffs, 470 puffs (twice).
    NCR18650A, 490 puffs
    Puff counters have no bias and they're not magical either.

Real world experience CANNOT be wrong. When the tests don't agree with the real world there's something screwed up with the tests.
    Maybe those tests are accurate for flashlights and lasers, they're not for ecigs. I assume it's because the batteries are used differently.
    Uhh, mah isn't the thing under question here, voltage under load is.

A battery could last forever but if 90% of that duration was under 3.6v then realistically nobody cares.

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
    Uhh, mah isn't the thing under question here, voltage under load is.

A battery could last forever but if 90% of that duration was under 3.6v then realistically nobody cares.
    Am I supposed to repeat myself because of your refusal to read what you don't want to believe so you can believe some tests that don't represent real life ecig experience and claim things are the opposite of what they are?

$2453 spent on ecigs. Join http://www.casaa.org/ protect your ability to vape.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Am I supposed to repeat myself because of your refusal to read what you don't want to believe so you can believe some tests that don't represent real life ecig experience and claim things are the opposite of what they are?
    It doesn't matter how you drain a battery, voltage under load is voltage under load.

I'll believe tests over your anecdotal "puff" counts any day of the week.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

And that would be why I don't trust these non-real world machine tests over someone actually using a battery in an ecig.
    I saw one test for something else discharging one "puff" every 25 seconds. Who vapes like that?

A lot of what I heard claimed about PD vs B was cooking the stats and claiming a higher shutdown voltage like a mech user would use.
    I heard PD gave more usable mah than B. Wrong. eVic, puff counter, same liquid, mod setting and atty, timed puffs, run until the mod shuts down. B was giving at least 100 more puffs.
    My B's have seen more use and are starting to fall off but they're still giving more than the PDs when new.
    A's mah also seems comparatively correct to what those two do, but the thing is it stays above 50% charge a very long time and falls fast after that. The other two fall fast to 50% and then go long.
    My mech has only seen the A's so I can't compare directly (maybe I will now that I know the others are NNP) but it stays above 3.7v much longer than I expected.

I think it comes down to being similar to the 25 second "puff" rate test not being a real world puff rate and constant drain does not equal sporadic drain.
    What was the puff drawing (what was the device attached)? Personally I look at stats down to 3.2v under load. A constant discharge test is not light on the battery by any means. However at a low discharge current, the non-high drain batteries' higher energy density does provide more discharged energy, the B moreso than the A, so your results seem to be in line with that.

I am not familiar with how the evic puff tester works, can you explain?

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
    It doesn't matter how you drain a battery, voltage under load is voltage under load.

I'll believe tests over your anecdotal "puff" counts any day of the week.
    If you would look at the tests you would see that tests under different loads are different, that's why they test different loads. If you ever used a battery for anything in your life and were aware while doing so you would know that resting them between loads allows them to "recharge". Given our short bursts of load those resting periods do add up to make a difference.
    So no, a constant discharge until dead or frequent discharges until dead is not equal to ecig use.

I will take anecdotal real life results over faulty testing methods when real life contradicts the tests any day. But you are free to stick to faulty testing methods if you want.
    And it's not really anecdotal, it was a fairly controlled set up with an exact puff count (that were rounded off for here). It is a small sample because it takes a long time to drain batteries in the 3000mah range in real use situations. The one thing that throws it off is the eVic has a small drain even while not firing so while testing I was trying to focus on that one mod.
    The usage perceptions in the mech with the NCR-A are purely anecdotal. I don't offer those as proof beyond that they seem to follow along with what I saw in the VV/VW. Which goes against what the metered tests say.

If you want a good test for ecigs it has to be designed around typical ecig use not constant flashlight/laser drain.

Quote Originally Posted by dr g View Post
    What was the puff drawing (what was the device attached)? Personally I look at stats down to 3.2v under load. A constant discharge test is not light on the battery by any means. However at a low discharge current, the non-high drain batteries' higher energy density does provide more discharged energy, the B moreso than the A, so your results seem to be in line with that.

I am not familiar with how the evic puff tester works, can you explain?
    eVic is a PWM VV/VW mod with all the bells and whistles (although a low amp limit). The puff counter is just a puff counter that I reset with every battery change.
    2.2Ω. Wattage went like this, 10w for 1 second, 9w to 1.3 seconds, 8w/1.6 seconds, 7w/2 seconds, 6.5w up to 10 seconds. You seem to know how those translate to drain in a PWM VV/VW over the voltage range with a boost better than I.
    With auto puff turned on so most puffs were 5 seconds long, although auto puff can be disabled by holding the firing button and that happens sometimes
    It also has a battery meter that shows percentage so you can see how many puffs you get per percentage point, which I was paying attention to while testing. And it shuts down at 3.2v.

I did run some low and sub-ohm set ups (1Ω and .9Ω duals) though the mech the other day with the NCR-A's and between setting up and vaping two sets of duals the NCR-A did seem to drop to 3.9v quicker but that is to be expected with any battery at the higher drain (the set up before was 1.5Ω dual). Now that I know the NCRs are the same chemistry and I trust the NCR-A's I'll do the math and see what other's I can try in it to compare. Although I have no way (or desire) to provide exact counts with a mech.

BTW, I think you like lighter wire for sub-ohm? I could not get those working right in my IGO-L clone. I liked heavier wire. I think the legs are too long in the RDA. The lighter wire might work better in my RBAs.

Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran pdib's Avatar

On the Comparator . . . Battery test-review 18650 comparator . . . I've found that different Amperage changes the picture, sometimes significantly. I, for one, appreciate the info on the Evic puff counts; but prefer to look at a 7 Amp draw for comparison.

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by pdib View Post
    On the Comparator . . . Battery test-review 18650 comparator . . . I've found that different Amperage changes the picture, sometimes significantly. I, for one, appreciate the info on the Evic puff counts; but prefer to look at a 7 Amp draw for comparison.
    That's a nice tool.
    High drain is a problem. NCR-A is 6.2a and NCR-B is 6.8a. The only NCR I have that can do 7a is the PD which is 10a rating.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

So here's a question I've had that seems relevant to the current trend of this discussion:

A battery test for a given amperage - does it maintain the same amperage as the battery drains by manipulating the resistance?

If so, then that isn't an accurate representation of a mechanical mod.

Full Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by lctrc View Post
    So here's a question I've had that seems relevant to the current trend of this discussion:

A battery test for a given amperage - does it maintain the same amperage as the battery drains by manipulating the resistance?

If so, then that isn't an accurate representation of a mechanical mod.
    Yes, a CC test manipulates load impedance for the sake of constant current. Yes, it's not an accurate representation of real world usage in a mech mod. It's used quite often in the world of batteries to characterize capacity and output stiffness under load (voltage drop over time).

I'm quite intrigued by Myk's puff counter tests. I think that, at the very least, you sir are on the right track to providing the most useful data to date on these batteries. To be completely thorough in our discussion of various batteries, though, I believe we'll need to do a bit more testing. I might have to get myself one of these mods with a puff counter...

Myk

Quote Originally Posted by gankoji View Post
    Yes, a CC test manipulates load impedance for the sake of constant current. Yes, it's not an accurate representation of real world usage in a mech mod. It's used quite often in the world of batteries to characterize capacity and output stiffness under load (voltage drop over time).

I'm quite intrigued by Myk's puff counter tests. I think that, at the very least, you sir are on the right track to providing the most useful data to date on these batteries. To be completely thorough in our discussion of various batteries, though, I believe we'll need to do a bit more testing. I might have to get myself one of these mods with a puff counter...
    I don't even have a good average to consider it thorough with just the B's, and I've pretty much taken to only using the B's in the mod I was using to test (love getting 500-ish puffs off a single charge). It takes a while when you get 2 days of constant use from a battery and then throw in other mods/flavors extending that time.
    I'm trying to get back to using the PD's to see if they drop after a few charges like the B's seem to have done. The A's should be easy to get there now that I have low ohm coils.

What gets me is the discharge curves in the machine tests. I didn't write down the numbers but that is very much not what I was seeing in the eVic and it doesn't seem that way in the mech.