Burning liquid with UD AGT Titanium. Help!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Burning liquid with UD AGT Titanium. Help!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    specter9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    168

    Default Burning liquid with UD AGT Titanium. Help!

    I am having a terrible time with the UD AGT Titanium. It cam with some wire and mesh, I think the mesh was 400. I have rebuilt it three times now, verified I do not get hot spots, and every time it tastes like I am eating charcoal. My coil wraps have been around 1.3-1.5 ohms. I have tried a few methods, the drill bit, the rolling paper, and wrapping the coils on top of my mesh while it is on a straightened paperclip. I don't have any problems with shorts, but burning, it burns my fluid no matter what I do.

  2. #2
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran WattWick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cold Norway
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    Not sure if it's even possible to get one of these to wick well without leaving the fill hole open. If you have a paper clip inserted in your wick, you probably don't have enough wicking material to suck liquids up fast enough... given the wick hole is tiiiiny. I think you need a tightly wrapped wich with no "straw effect" to get the required amount of mesh in there.

    And try not to fill it 100% full, as this will liquid lock your (now hopefully open) fill hole.

    Probably more ways to skin this cat...

  3. #3
    Full Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Not getting hot legs either? A lot of the builds I did fired up fine when dry and then when I filled the tank I would end up getting a hot top leg. I got sick of dealing with it, switched to cotton and micro coils to turn my genny into a dripper with a tank. Instead of dripping you just give it a tilt.
    Kemosabe likes this.

  4. #4
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Yeah it sounds like a short. Work on moving the coils some more.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    specter9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    168

    Default

    I am leaning more towards a wicking issue. I rebuilt the coil several times last night, and I know the third build had no shorts or hot legs, it was rock solid on 1.8 ohms, and I could do a 10 second vape with nothing turning red, it just burns everything. I am going to try rolling a new wick when the 325 gets here without the paperclip in it. If not I have seen a lot of guys to a ss mesh wick with the top wrapped in silica or cotton between the coil and the mesh, and was thinking of trying that. I hate to say, this my be my last genesis style if they are all this difficult to get working correctly. I by far prefer a bottom coil so I don't have to tilt. Anyways, will come back with updates as I rebuild with the new material.

  6. #6
    Moved On Verified Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    280

    Default

    A genesis style atomizer can get enough juice to atomize by tilting in order for juice to rush down in the direction of the coil. The SS has to be like a tube only. So, I personally gave up on genesis atomizers because of the design, and I also don't like how SS taste like.

  7. #7
    Super Member ECF Veteran folkphys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    393
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I too have struggled mightily with AGT. Here's what I settled on: SS rope wick with a 500 mesh single-layer wrap at the top only; 3/4 wrap of 29g kanthal coming out to ~1.0 Ohm. No matter what I had tried in the past, the AGT could never seem wick as fast as I vape, thus yielding a burnt taste on every 2nd or 3rd hit. The above setup is better than any other so far, but I still need to tip the juice towards the wick hole to keep it going. I do leave the fill hole open and it never leaks, likely because my juices are just thick enough to hold their surface tension at the opening. The AGT is such a small unit that I'm not sure any wick can really keep up with my personal vaping style, however I did find that, for me, 0.8 -1.1 Ohms worked best -- which may seem counterintuitive given the whole wicking speed issue. However, I think perhaps a slower cooler (ie higher resistance) coil might be causing gunk build-up and choking the wick.
    Last edited by folkphys; 09-26-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Kemosabe likes this.

  8. #8
    PV Master ECF Veteran Kemosabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Roe Dylin
    Posts
    5,604

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by xamxela View Post
    Not getting hot legs either? A lot of the builds I did fired up fine when dry and then when I filled the tank I would end up getting a hot top leg. I got sick of dealing with it, switched to cotton and micro coils to turn my genny into a dripper with a tank. Instead of dripping you just give it a tilt.
    same thing happens with my AGT. i set it up fine, no hot legs, not hot spots, no shorts. then i juice it, vape it, and before long, im getting a gnarly short/dry taste. i know that i likely dont have enough mesh in there to keep up with my draws. but that doesnt explain why my coil shorts. or maybe it does, IDK. this is with 500 mesh. i used less then 6cm of mesh. i think next time i'll try to cram 60+mm of mesh in there for a solid wick. that oughta get me going. if not, im trying cotton, cotton + mesh, and ss rope + mesh. theres got to be a winner somewhere in those combos.

    Quote Originally Posted by specter9mm View Post
    I am leaning more towards a wicking issue. I rebuilt the coil several times last night, and I know the third build had no shorts or hot legs, it was rock solid on 1.8 ohms, and I could do a 10 second vape with nothing turning red, it just burns everything. I am going to try rolling a new wick when the 325 gets here without the paperclip in it. If not I have seen a lot of guys to a ss mesh wick with the top wrapped in silica or cotton between the coil and the mesh, and was thinking of trying that. I hate to say, this my be my last genesis style if they are all this difficult to get working correctly. I by far prefer a bottom coil so I don't have to tilt. Anyways, will come back with updates as I rebuild with the new material.
    all gennies are NOT this hard to build. in fact, this is one of the only gennies ive had this type of problem with. ive been having the same problems as you, while my DuD and CHobra have been fine. AGA-T2 was easy to set up too, relatively speaking.
    im going to try insulating the coil with CVS brand rolled cotton. if that doesnt work, im going either all cotton, or ss rope like below:

    Quote Originally Posted by folkphys View Post
    I too have struggled mightily with AGT. Here's what I settled on: SS rope wick with a 500 mesh single-layer wrap at the top only; 3/4 wrap of 29g kanthal coming out to ~1.0 Ohm. No matter what I had tried in the past, the AGT could never seem wick as fast as I vape, thus yielding a burnt taste on every 2nd or 3rd hit. The above setup is better than any other so far, but I still need to tip the juice towards the wick hole to keep it going. I do leave the fill hole open and it never leaks, likely because my juices are just thick enough to hold their surface tension at the opening. The AGT is such a small unit that I'm not sure any wick can really keep up with my personal vaping style, however I did find that, for me, 0.8 -1.1 Ohms worked best -- which may seem counterintuitive given the whole wicking speed issure. However, I think perhaps a slower cooler cool (ie higher Ohms) causes gunk build up and wick-choking.
    which size ss rope fits the AGT? i was thinking 1/16"..
    also, you might be surprised at what *wont* come out of the fill hole. ive filled gennies up with water while cleaning and even water wont drip out of the fill hole when inverted (assuming thats the only hole left open).


  9. #9
    Super Member ECF Veteran folkphys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    393
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    1/16" SS wire rope wick indeed does fit. And I used one layer of mesh around it so it wouldn't be too tight of a fit.

    And I oxidized the heck out of the mesh and soaked it pretty good with juice as I tested the coil just in case it would help with the hot legs syndrome.
    Last edited by folkphys; 09-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Kemosabe likes this.

  10. #10
    Super Member ECF Veteran folkphys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    393
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Here's my setup
    pastubbs likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks