Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues

Senior Member ECF Veteran VapoJoe86's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues

A few days ago, I received my Aqua clone by Tobeco (ordered from 101vape.com). I know that the aqua clones fall into the "hype beast" category, as in everybody who touches it seems to be raving about how great it is, but I have some issues with the apparently low quality standards that Tobeco put into producing this particular clone. I don't know if these types of issues are present in all of the aqua clones by Tobeco (or all Tobeco products for that matter) or if I just happened to get a sour grape. Here are some pictures of the quality issues I encountered.

First, a picture of the box for those who aren't sure what I'm referring to:
    Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues-aqua-box.jpg

The first problem involves the "o-rings". I'm not exactly sure what particular material they are made out of, but mine degraded rapidly. I was not using any kind of acidic juice or doing anything else to cause this. See below for two examples, the drip tip o-ring and the lower deck o-ring (these images speak for themselves).
    Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues-aqua-drip-tip.jpg Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues-aqua-threading.jpg

Luckily some replacement o-rings came in the box, so that's not a huge deal right now since I've replaced them but who knows how long these replacements will last. Moving on, did you notice anything else that was off about the image of the deck? Take a close look at the upper threading in the image below.
    Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues-aqua-threading-close.jpg

See how there appears to be debris all through the threading? This is just a direct result of poor machining. These are the threads you screw the "chimney" onto, and they are extremely crunchy and all-around horrible. They snag cotton like it's going out of style and cause all kinds of trouble. The last thing I want to mention is the air flow holes. Take a look at the image below:
    Aqua Clone by Tobeco - Quality Issues-aqua-air-flow.jpg

Yes, those holes are so poorly punched that there are actually chunks of metal still attached to them. I was able to remedy this using a small ice pick. Nonetheless, pretty poor quality. There is no picture to represent the last issue I had but I need to mention it- the tank portion is incredibly difficult to thread onto the lower deck. It loves to go on lopsided or just not thread at all. It takes me about 10 attempts to get it threaded on there correctly.

I'll be doing a full review of this clone in the near future (the actual performance- as in the vapor production/flavor/etc is really quite good), but in the mean time I wanted to bring these issues to the attention of anybody looking to pick up a Tobeco aqua clone. I won't be purchasing any more Tobeco items and I look forward to trying an aqua clone by a different manufacturer.
    Last edited by VapoJoe86; 01-08-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Tobeco is kinda synonymous with poor quality control
    muzichead likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
    Tobeco is kinda synonymous with poor quality control
    Yea, I just happened to learn this lesson the hard way. Like I said, I won't be purchasing any more Tobeco products.

Moved On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It's a pain too since you see so many people who got lucky with theirs, then your order arrives and it looks like it was machined using sweat shop workers teeth.
    muzichead and VapoJoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VapoJoe86 View Post
    A few days ago, I received my Aqua clone by Tobeco (ordered from 101vape.com). I know that the aqua clones fall into the "hype beast" category, as in everybody who touches it seems to be raving about how great it is, but I have some issues with the apparently low quality standards that Tobeco put into producing this particular clone. I don't know if these types of issues are present in all of the aqua clones by Tobeco (or all Tobeco products for that matter) or if I just happened to get a sour grape. Here are some pictures of the quality issues I encountered.

First, a picture of the box for those who aren't sure what I'm referring to:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aqua box.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	292714

The first problem involves the "o-rings". I'm not exactly sure what particular material they are made out of, but mine degraded rapidly. I was not using any kind of acidic juice or doing anything else to cause this. See below for two examples, the drip tip o-ring and the lower deck o-ring (these images speak for themselves).

Name:	aqua drip tip.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	292716 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aqua threading.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	292717

Luckily some replacement o-rings came in the box, so that's not a huge deal right now since I've replaced them but who knows how long these replacements will last. Moving on, did you notice anything else that was off about the image of the deck? Take a close look at the upper threading in the image below.

Name:	aqua threading close.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	292718

See how there appears to be debris all through the threading? This is just a direct result of poor machining. These are the threads you screw the "chimney" onto, and they are extremely crunchy and all-around horrible. They snag cotton like it's going out of style and cause all kinds of trouble. The last thing I want to mention is the air flow holes. Take a look at the image below:

Name:	aqua air flow.jpg 
Views:	1175 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	292719

Yes, those holes are so poorly punched that there are actually chunks of metal still attached to them. I was able to remedy this using a small ice pick. Nonetheless, pretty poor quality. There is no picture to represent the last issue I had but I need to mention it- the tank portion is incredibly difficult to thread onto the lower deck. It loves to go on lopsided or just not thread at all. It takes me about 10 attempts to get it threaded on there correctly.

I'll be doing a full review of this clone in the near future (the actual performance- as in the vapor production/flavor/etc is really quite good), but in the mean time I wanted to bring these issues to the attention of anybody looking to pick up a Tobeco aqua clone. I won't be purchasing any more Tobeco items and I look forward to trying an aqua clone by a different manufacturer.
    It sure does have a few quality issues. I don't have one of these, but I do have two of the Tobeco Kayfun lite clones. I have had a few issues with the Tobeco clones I have, but nothing like what you are seeing. My threads were really pretty good from the start and got better with use. I also had some metal chips in the air channel I had to clean out and one of them even had a gob of machining oil (closer to grease) in the air channel. I have not had any problems with the o-rings. I wonder what material was used to make your O-rings?

Glad it is at least working good for you and await your review. I had though about getting this clone, but I think I will pass on this one.
    Seems to me the clones "most" of the time take a little tinkering, but can be made to work ok. I guess we have to weigh this against the cost of the real ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Portertown View Post
    Glad it is at least working good for you and await your review. I had though about getting this clone, but I think I will pass on this one.
    Seems to me the clones "most" of the time take a little tinkering, but can be made to work ok. I guess we have to weigh this against the cost of the real ones.
    That's a good point about weighing the cost- I would not have been able to afford an authentic Aqua so I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try a device that mimics the performance. If only the it matched the build quality. I'll have the review up by the end of the week though!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It's hit or miss with clones
    donnah likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Sorry it wasn't up to spec. I've been slightly appalled at some of the lack of machining quality on lesser priced mods and attys. I guess a well made 510 connector is a beautiful thing, the variation in post heights and insulating materials on some of them just kind of make me scratch my head and wonder what they were thinking.

Snap-On sells a pretty good thread file that you could use to clean up those threads. It's much cheaper than a tap and die set, but does take a little practice to become efficient with. I picked one up years ago and it's been incredibly handy, especially doing quick and dirty repairs on race bikes in the paddock between races.
    No man's opinions are better than his information.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't see how people like thumb screws, and does every one of them have the crazy wobble in tank section? Produced great vapor, but I haven't had a build that was up to simple expectations in flavor.. doesn't make sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LDS714 View Post
    Snap-On sells a pretty good thread file that you could use to clean up those threads. It's much cheaper than a tap and die set, but does take a little practice to become efficient with. I picked one up years ago and it's been incredibly handy, especially doing quick and dirty repairs on race bikes in the paddock between races.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast